Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing files automatically from a directory after 30 days. Post 75987 by justinb_155 on Thursday 23rd of June 2005 06:09:14 PM
Old 06-23-2005
Removing files automatically from a directory after 30 days.

Hello;

I have a directory that is collecting log and act files. I need to write a script that will remove these files once they are 30 days old. I have read through a number of threads on this site that have given me a great deal of information. However I have what seems to be a unique situation. I can't use the -atime or the -mtime commands because not all the files that haven't been modified or accessed can be deleted. There are non log or act files in this directory. One thing that may help is that the log and act files use yyyymmdd.log or yyyymmdd.act file naming system. IE 20050623.log or 20050623.act. How can I use this to generate my script? Thank you very much in advance for your knowledge and help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing files that are 60 days old

Hello guys I'm writing a script and I need some help. I'm almost done but I think I have a problem with my ffind command. I need the scripts to delete files are 60 days old and then append the filenames to a text file on the days they were deleted. If someone can help me I would be thankful. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aojmoj
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls latest 4 days or specify days of files in the directory

Hi, I would like to list latest 2 days, 3 days or 4 days,etc of files in the directory... how? is it using ls? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing files older than 7 days

Script help, I need to delete files that are older than 7 days. I do that automatically but I know that a cron job can do the job for me. Any help is greatly appreciated, as you can see, I am a DOS or WINDOWS guy. Little on UNIX. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: texasoeb
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically Load data from all files in directory

I'm new in Unix shell scripting and i need someone to help me to make Script that run all time watching my directory that files uploaded to it via FTP (/mydir/incoming_files), if any files exists in it then (if many files exists, then sort files and load them ascending) it‘ll checks the size of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m_fighter
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with removing files which are n days old

Hi , I need to remove files from a specific directory which are 7 days old using folowing find comand as: find /home/dir1/log -name "run*.log" -mtime +6 -prune -exec rm -f {} \; but my script should traverse to /home/dir1/log and them delete the specified files in the directory. i.e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navatha
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

removing files older than n days

Hi, on AIX 6.1, is there any commande line to remove the files older than n days in a directory ? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

7. AIX

Deleting files older than 14 days automatically

Hi In my aix server under the location "/usr/sap/SAPXI/extract", I have a lot of log files. I need a script which is to be added in crontab so that the files and directories older than 14 days should get deleted automatically from the location "/usr/sap/SAPXI/extract". Please advise me.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing certain files after certain days..

Hi guys.. Currently me using AIX 5.3.0.0 I have these files generated by Oracle in /tmp folder.. # date Mon Sep 26 11:53:31 BEIST 2011 # pwd /tmp # df -g . Filesystem GB blocks Free %Used Iused %Iused Mounted on /dev/hd3 10.00 3.65 64% 62479 7% /tmp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mushr00m
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help in reading N days files from a Directory & combining the files

Hi All, Request your expertise in tackling one requirement in my project,(i dont have much expertise in Shell Scripting). The requirement is as below, 1) We store the last run date of a process in a file. When the batch run the next time, it should read this file, get the last run date from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for Deleting files older than 14 days automatically

we need to have periodic clean up implemented in our sap directory \\sapds\PR1\int\scm\snp\outbound\snapshot. which needs unix script for Deleting files older than 14 days automatically in sap system unix os. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kvkreddy_b2w
1 Replies
db_archive(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     db_archive(8)

NAME
db_archive - displays security database log files no longer involved in active transactions (Enhanced Security) SYNOPSIS
/usr/tcb/bin/db_archive [-alsv] [-h home] FLAGS
Write all pathnames as absolute pathnames, instead of relative to the database home directories. Specify a home directory for the data- base. The correct directory for enhanced security is /var/tcb/files. Write out the pathnames of all of the database log files, whether or not they are involved in active transactions. Write the pathnames of all of the database files that need to be archived in order to recover the database from catastrophic failure. If any of the database files have not been accessed during the lifetime of the current log files, db_archive does not include them in this output. It is possible that some of the files referenced in the log have since been deleted from the system. In this case, db_archive ignores them. When db_recover is run, any files referenced in the log that are not present during recovery are assumed to have been deleted and are not be recovered. Run in verbose mode, listing the checkpoints in the log files as they are reviewed. DESCRIPTION
A customized version of the Berkeley Database (Berkeley DB) is embedded in the operating system to provide high-performance database sup- port for critical security files. The DB includes full transactional support and database recovery, using write-ahead logging and check- pointing to record changes. The db_archive utility is provided for maintenance of the log files associated with the security database. It writes the pathnames of log files that are no longer in use (that is, no longer involved in active transactions), to the standard output, one pathname per line. These log files should be written to backup media to provide for recovery in the case of catastrophic failure (which also requires a snapshot of the database files), but they may then be deleted from the system to reclaim disk space. You should perform a db_checkpoint -1 before using db_archive. The secconfig utility can create a cron job that periodically checks the security log files and deletes those no longer in use, as deter- mined by db_archive. Be sure to coordinate this with the site backup schedule. The db_archive utility attaches to one or more of the Berkeley DB shared memory regions. In order to avoid region corruption, it should always be given the chance to detach and exit gracefully. To cause db_archive to clean up after itself and exit, send it an interrupt sig- nal (SIGINT). RETURN VALUES
The db_archive utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
If the -h option is not specified and the environment variable DB_HOME is set, it is used as the path of the database home. The home directory for security is /var/tcb/files. FILES
/var/tcb/files/auth.db /var/tcb/files/dblogs/* RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: db_checkpoint(8), db_dump(8), db_load(8), db_printlog(8), db_recover(8), db_stat(8), secconfig(8) delim off db_archive(8)