Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Make utility
Top Forums Programming Make utility Post 75912 by victorvvk on Thursday 23rd of June 2005 05:57:03 AM
Old 06-23-2005
Lightbulb Make utility

When we run the make utility , make compiles only those files which are undergone changes(other files which have not undergone any changes are not recompiled)

The Following quotes says

HTML Code:
When you run the make utility, it examines the modification times of files and determines what needs to be regenerated. Files that are older than the files they depend on must be regenerated. Regenerating one file may cause others to become old, so that several files end up being regenerated.
1) How does the make utiltity check whether the file is updated ?

2) What does it mean Modification times of files

3) what does it consider or look for before creating an object file

I would like to know about some things which make utility does in the background before creating the object files

Regards
Victor Vinod Kumar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Using make utility to create an mini-app

The following is my makefile. When I run "make", it gives me a bunch of error. I've compiled each file separately and there are no compilation errors. The target is "monprc". Have a look below: monprc: monprc.o monrep.o dsz.o cc -o monprc monprc.o monrep.o dsz.o monprc.o: monprc.c... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yifan_Guo
1 Replies

2. Programming

MAKE utility

I wrote a makefile, every thing is working fine, But One of the C header files which is created by me is kept in a different folder other than the current directory, I have given this PATH to VPATH Variable Example :- VPATH = /home/user1/projects/victor.h It gives an error as : file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorvvk
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Make utility

Hi Guys, I m very confused about the make/makefile utility in all unix. 1) My questions is why we need make. 2) Why some source code needs to complile. 3) I download the Bind 9 from Sunfreeware.com. I use pkgadd -d to install the bind. I 'm struck here becasue I can't find /etc/named.conf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigmoon
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there kind of good utility that convert make files to dsp?

Hello all im looking for some kind of utility that convert make files to dsp files is there any kind of tool/script that does this job? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Make utility - some Qs togurus..

(Sorry for previous not on enlish! I did not realized it is english forum. ) I am looking for help with Make utility. I could not get help from the 'man' pages. 1. About Macro (as a variable): It is clear about defining any macro in beginning or in command line, but isn't it no way to redefine... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print something in make utility

Hi want to know the syntax of printing something (value or variable) in GNU make utility. I give this in the Makefile: echo "Hi" OR @echo "Hi" But I only get error this when I run make (at the line where I have echo): Makefile:9: *** missing separator. Stop. Whats the problem? How can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radiatejava
2 Replies

7. Programming

Help with a C program that acts like the make utility

Hi, I'm trying to create a C program that functions like the make utility in UNIX for personal use. My program would read in from a generic makefile and execute whatever is in that makefile but I'm not sure as to where I should start coding. I would appreciate any help. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kratos.
1 Replies

8. Programming

make utility

Hi, Could someone tell me why make utility is mostly preferred for compilation and generating executable in UNIX rather than any user created scripts which contains commands for compilation? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make Utility Question

Hello, I'm a recent convert to UNIX and I'm attempting to understand exactly how the make utility is working under the hood. Now, I understand that each rule has a target, dependencies, and update command, but the thing I'm confused about is exactly how the utility is determining when to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kramer_102
1 Replies

10. Programming

A make-like build utility based on Lua

xmake is a make-like build utility based on lua. (Link to project site: xmake) The project focuses on making development and building easier and provides many features (.e.g package, install, plugin, macro, action, option, task ...), so that any developer can quickly pick it up and enjoy the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waruqi
1 Replies
genra(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  genra(8)

Name
       genra - produce distribution RA60 media

Syntax
       /etc/genra [-{wv}] [hostname:]product_code special

Description
       The  utility is used to produce RA60 distribution media.  The utility searches for the product_code (as provided by the user on the command
       line), creates a new file system on the partition defined in the kit description, mounts the disk, transfers files and subsets as described
       in  the	kitcap	kit description, uses to verify files for accuracy in transfer, and then unmounts the file system.  The utility can create
       multiple directories on the RA60 for separate products, and can also combine multiple products into one product, all controlled by

The optional hostname: argument is the name of a remote TCP/IP network machine that contains the kitcap file.  The utility will	search	on
       the  remote machine for the product_code and use it for creating the media.  The colon (:) is a required delimiter for TCP/IP networks, and
       there is no space between the colon and the product_code.  For example, if the product code was ULT-2.2-V-BW, and the  kitcap  file  to	be
       used was on node "mynode", the proper syntax for this option would be
		      mynode:ULT-2.2-V-BW

The  product_code  is  a  user defined code that is located in and describes the partition, directories, and subsets, that make up a kitcap
       description.  It can be any set of numbers or letters, and is usually formed in a way to have some  meaning  as	to  the  product  that	it
       describes.  For example, if the product name is MYPRODUCT and it is version 1, a proper product_code for that product might be MYP010.

The special argument indicates that the device is a special device such as The actual partition that the utility will write the files on is
       defined in the kitcap description for the product_code that is being used.  Therefore, it makes no difference what partition is appended to
       the special device file used on the command line.

Options
       -w     Write only.

-v     Verify only.

If  neither  option appears on the command line, then by default, the utility will write, then verify, the files in the kit descrip-
	      tor.

Restrictions
       You must be a superuser to run this program.  If the optional hostname is used, you must be able to access files  on  the  remote  host	as
       superuser.

Files
       ra device special files

Kit descriptor database

See Also
       gentapes(1), sum(1), kitcap(5)

genra(8)