Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ksh script - arrays
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh script - arrays Post 75820 by sidamin810 on Wednesday 22nd of June 2005 10:06:59 AM
Old 06-22-2005
ksh script - arrays

hello all.. I have been browsing / searching through the forum and have yet not been able to find what I was looking for.

I am fairly new to ksh and my task is to create a function that reads in an input file:

abc
def
ghi

/dev/sid/
(NOTE: the spaces between data sets above DOES NOT exist but it's only there for ease of understanding)

the first line (2 in this case) consists of the numbert of data sets followed by the number of parameters in the 2 datasets (3 and 1).

(abc,def,ghi) are the parameter values for the first data set and (/dev/sid) is tha value for the second data set.

The above 2 data sets need to be scanned into different arrays and hence this is what i came up with:

cat ${INPUT_FILE} | while read LINE #processing steps for all common parameters, assign each common parameters to the array variable COMMON_PARAMETER_CONTENT
do

if [[ $count -le $PARAMETER_CONTENT ]]
then
SUBSET_ARRAY[count]=$LINE
((count+=1))
continue
fi

i = 0
countA = 0
countB = 0

while [[ $countB -l (SUBSET_ARRAY[i]) ]] //need a check here to prevent overflowing..!
do
while [[ $countA -le (SUBSET_ARRAY[i]) ]]
do
[I] SUBSETDATA + "i" = $LINE
((countA+=1))
((DATA_TOTAL_LINE+=1))
done
((i+=1))
countA = 0
done

My question is.. will the highlighted, Italicised line work? Can i loop thru' and put the diff datasets into diff arrays using the "string join" ? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Sid

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH and arrays

hello all, I browsed the forum (briefly) and I am having issues with a script I writing. I need to check a directory and see if there are files there, if so process all of them. The issues I am having is that when I create the array of files names using set -A filenames "$(ls -1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whited05
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic Arrays in ksh

Given a line of text in ksh: string1 string2 string3 .....stringn is there a way of automatically assigning each string to an array element? Or just different variables would do. Thanks, Jon (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jonny2Vests
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

import var and function from ksh script to another ksh script

Ih all, i have multiples ksh scripts for crontab's unix jobs they all have same variables declarations and some similar functions i would have a only single script file to declare my variables, like: var1= "aaa" var2= "bbb" var3= "ccc" ... function ab { ...} function bc { ... }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

List of arrays in ksh?

Hi all, In a loop, i am creating an array of integer and adding it to another array that hold arrays // psuedo code pttrnArray=$type$data // This is array of integers. pttrnArrays=${pttrnArray} // This is supposed to be array of arrays. But when i print pttrnArrays, i get only the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export Arrays in ksh

Hello everybody! Why I can export arrays in ksh? I trie this for exemplo: In parent script array=a array=b array=c export array When I see the variable array in child script there are only first index. For exemplo in child script +echo ${array} a (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricardo.ludwig
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arrays in nawk and ksh

I'm not confident at all on how arrays work. I want to know how to set arrays in ksh and in nawk (is there a difference??) if someone can show me some examples of both that will be great. Tried to look up on the net but was confusing me more. Any help would be appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Reading a file line by line into multiple arrays

Hi - I have a file that contains data in this format:- #comment value1 value2 value3 #comment value4 value5 value6 value7 #comment value8 value9 I need to read value1, value2 and value3 into one array, value4 value5 value6 and value7 into another array and value8 and value9 into a 3rd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sniper57
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multidimentional arrays in KSH

Hi, I am using KSH shell and need to define a multi dimensional array in which i need to store and retrive data. Please provide your valuable in puts. Eg: asbjkasd 1234 asdhnas 1254 i need to store the above values and use them as input to another command. Note each line is a pair. Thanks... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hraj1984
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh arrays

Hi, I have a ksh script in which I need to fill an array with a list of filenames. It currently works like this: set -A array \ val1 \ val2 \ val3However, I was wondering why it's not possible to do something like this to make it easier to parse values to the array: set -A array... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
3 Replies
subst(3tcl)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       subst(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(3tcl), eval(3tcl), break(3tcl), continue(3tcl) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(3tcl)