Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: closing open ports
Special Forums Cybersecurity closing open ports Post 7566 by LowOrderBit on Thursday 27th of September 2001 07:11:44 PM
Old 09-27-2001
Computer

Absolutely Beautiful...

kill -HUP pid

worked like a charm...

new nmap scan of the external interface reports that ftp and telnet are toast..

thanks for the help...

Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

firewall vs. closing ports

This may be kind of a stupid question, but here goes: Say I'm running a FreeBSD webserver (w/apache). I've managed to close ALL open ports (including SSH/telnet and portmapper), excepting '80' that apache is listening on. A netstat -a shows me nothing open. Discounting DoS/DDoS or holes in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: adam_crosby
7 Replies

2. IP Networking

Closing out ports???

Hi all Is there a command that I can use to close out open ports? I did a netstat - a -p and got a long list of ports open (see sample below). I have disabled the some of the applications from /etc/services/. But there are still applications listening on certain ports. I need to know how to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check open ports every ...

Hello, i need a script (bash type maybe?..), which would check open ports on 127.0.0.1 and then compare open ports with "registered/allowed" port list and try to kill the program who uses unregistered ports. It would be great that script would be started lets say every 5 or 10 minutes. You see i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MorchiuS
2 Replies

4. Solaris

open ports solaris 8

Hello, I have a number of Solaris 8 Sun servers that have open ports that I cannot identify. I see some with 1013-1023 (which are reserved ports according to the IANA. Lsof does not identify these. I rebooted the server and they went off, but this morning I saw they were all back on again. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csgonan
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Open ports in solaris 10

hi guys, may i know the exact steps to open a port in solaris.i have some rough idea - which is adding the port number in /etc/services. but i am not sure the correct conventions, steps or any other steps. kindly advise.thanks guys ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

closing unwanted open ports using scripts

i have a text file i.e file1.txt which shows open ports on particular system. i have another text file i.e file2.txt which shows a list of allowed ports on a system. for eg: file2.txt 22/tcp ssh 23/tcp telnet. can i have a script which would compare these text files ,file1 and file2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anand121
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open ports and services

just a quick question: a. whats the simplest command to check open port and the corresponding services? example: bash-2.05# netstat -an | grep LISTEN *.199 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN *.8989 *.* 0 0 49152 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

Open/close of ports

Hi, I have read some forum theads about the open and close ports. some points are clear and it is not working on my machine or something am i missing? I have commented out a port /etc/services, one application uses then when i use the telnet <hostname> <port_blocked> it shows connected..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balamv
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Closing open file descriptors from /proc/pid/fd

Hi guys, i need to write a shell script that will close file descriptors from /proc/pid/fd will calling exec 4<&- solve the problem ? thanks in advance :) (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha_romeo
15 Replies
KILL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   KILL(1)

NAME
kill -- terminate or signal a process SYNOPSIS
kill [-s signal_name] pid ... kill -l [exit_status] kill -signal_name pid ... kill -signal_number pid ... DESCRIPTION
The kill utility sends a signal to the processes specified by the pid operands. Only the super-user may send signals to other users' processes. The options are as follows: -s signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -l [exit_status] If no operand is given, list the signal names; otherwise, write the signal name corresponding to exit_status. -signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -signal_number A non-negative decimal integer, specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. The following PIDs have special meanings: -1 If superuser, broadcast the signal to all processes; otherwise broadcast to all processes belonging to the user. Some of the more commonly used signals: 1 HUP (hang up) 2 INT (interrupt) 3 QUIT (quit) 6 ABRT (abort) 9 KILL (non-catchable, non-ignorable kill) 14 ALRM (alarm clock) 15 TERM (software termination signal) Some shells may provide a builtin kill command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. EXIT STATUS
The kill utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Terminate the processes with PIDs 142 and 157: kill 142 157 Send the hangup signal (SIGHUP) to the process with PID 507: kill -s HUP 507 Terminate the process group with PGID 117: kill -- -117 SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), killall(1), ps(1), sh(1), kill(2), sigaction(2) STANDARDS
The kill utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A kill command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
A replacement for the command ``kill 0'' for csh(1) users should be provided. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD