Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting get home-directory in shell-scripts Post 75408 by google on Friday 17th of June 2005 04:28:23 PM
Old 06-17-2005
Quote:
But not with the $home-variable or ~
I didnt mention $HOME since the OP asked that the solution not use $HOME. This is probably a homework question.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cd into home directory ~

I'm trying to cd into a home directory with cd ~username_here and I'm getting the following error: ~username_here: does not exist The directory exists and I can directly go to it via cd /export/home/username_here without any problems. Any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Accessing the home directory in shell script

How can I access home directory in a shell script. I am writing a script which will delete the log files in each of the user's directory Krishan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home directory

Hi what is the difference between the directory named /home and the user's home directory? can anyone plz reply? really confuse about it!!!!!!!! thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nokia3100
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running scripts from home

I have created a Bourne shell script that helps with metric counting and it has to be run in a ClearCase view. It has been placed in a directory where if User A cd'd to it and runs it, a bunch of errors occur. Because this is a tool that several users would want access to and the program assumes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastachef
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Restricting SFTP user to a defined directory and home directory

Hi, I've created solaris user which has both FTP and SFTP Access. Using the "ftpaccess" configuration file options "guest-root" and "restricted-uid", i can restrict the user to a specific directory. But I'm unable to restrict the user when the user is logged in using SFTP. The aim is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sftpuser
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for shell scripts for moving all files from one directory to another

Hi , Can you please check this code .I am getting the follwing error while executing the script. Please help me out. #rm /tmp/$$ #!/bin/ksh dir_one="/usr/bin/sou" dir_two="usr/bin/sou/temp" for files in $dir_one/*.txt do ... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: soumyamishra
31 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to run all the python scripts from particular directory

I have N number of python scripts which i am receiving from REST web server and i am saving them in /home/mandar/ . Now i want to write a script to run all the python scripts from this directory and monitor them every minute...if any process is dead or hung it should be restarted by this script. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandar Nandale
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find weblogic home directory

Hi, I am trying to find the weblogic home directory whether it is installed in the Linux box. if it is existing display the weblogic home and the corresponding Java home directory else display message as that wl home does not exist. I already wrote a program but it was not working properly.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: spgreddy
11 Replies

9. Solaris

SunOS confusing root directory and user home directory

Hello, I've just started using a Solaris machine with SunOS 5.10. After the machine is turned on, I open a Console window and at the prompt, if I execute a pwd command, it tells me I'm at my home directory (someone configured "myuser" as default user after init). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: egyassun
2 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)