Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Text file arrangement
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Text file arrangement Post 75334 by vino on Friday 17th of June 2005 01:08:44 AM
Old 06-17-2005
How about

Code:
tr '\n' '\t' <inputfile >outputfile

Vino

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Data arrangement

I have these following data: Home Tom Member List 100 Yes 200 No Home Tom Member List 1 No 2 Yes Home Tome Member List 3 No 400 Yes I want my data to be consistants like this: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cell arrangement

I have a data file with hundreds of lines: I want to place a YES right below the line that say mydata....can someone please help! on the left is my the original data on the right the data format need to be: left > Right mydata > mydata yes > yesno > no mydata > mydata... (12 Replies)
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Data arrangement

10 2 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 20 3 2 1 3 2 9 8 2 1 Need the data to be arranged: 10 2 1 5 2 6 3 7 4 8 20 3 2 1 1 2 3 8 2 9 please help! (6 Replies)
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on file arrangement

Can anyone help me on this. I have a file that looks like this: color red green blue color pink yellow number one two gender male gender female The output would look like this: color red green blue pink yellow number one two gender male female I have over 5000 rows and i dont want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kharen11
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re-arrangement of data

Dear Frineds, I have a flat file as follows ABCD ABDCWQE POIERAS ADSGASGFG GHJKFHD XBDFGHFGDH POIU IJPFG AFGJFPGOU A;DGUPGU SFSDFDSDFHDSF SDFGHSFDH I want this column to be converted into row like follows ABCD, ABDCWQE, POIERAS, ADSGASGFG, GHJKFHD, XBDFGHFGDH (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

directories and file arrangement in bash

im trying to write a script that will put files with different extensions into their specified directories In the directory are files of various types, i want to arrange the files on individual directories under their type. There are three distinct types of files: 1) Text documents - files with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elginmulizwa
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Data re-arrangement

Hi I have a huge problem to solve ASAP. Can someone please help!!! My format is arranged in this format: It has three columns. LOGIN ALIAS REC_ID A BB1 0 A ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mapilo
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar command to preserve the folder/file arrangement

Hi, I do have question for un tar a file. I have several 'tar'ed files. For example: SRS.tar.bz2. I was trying to untar them in a linux server using the command: tar xvjf SRS.tar.bz2 It worked perfectly. but when I open this file in my mac computer all the files are extracted into a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retreive data with arrangement

Hi all I have following part of a big file TTDS00002 Synonyms M1 receptor TTDS00002 Disease Alzheimer's disease TTDS00002 Disease Bronchospasm (histamine induced) TTDS00002 Disease Cognitive deficits TTDS00002 Disease Schizophrenia TTDS00002 Function The muscarinic acetylcholine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kareena
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
TBL(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TBL(1)

NAME
tbl - format tables for nroff or troff SYNOPSIS
tbl [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tbl is a preprocessor for formatting tables for nroff or troff(1). The input files are copied to the standard output, except for segments of the form .TS options ; format . data .T& format . data . . . .TE which describe tables and are replaced by troff requests to lay out the tables. If no arguments are given, tbl reads the standard input. The (optional) options line is terminated by a semicolon and contains one or more of center center the table; default is left-adjust expand make table as wide as current line length box doublebox enclose the table in a box or double box allbox enclose every item in a box tab(x) use x to separate input items; default is tab linesize(n) set rules in n-point type delim(xy) recognize x and y as eqn(1) delimiters Each line, except the last, of the obligatory format describes one row of the table. The last line describes all rows until the next .T&, where the format changes, or the end of the table at .TE. A format is specified by key letters, one per column, either upper or lower case: L Left justify: the default for columns without format keys. R Right justify. C Center. N Numeric: align at decimal point (inferred for integers) or at S Span: extend previous column across this one. A Alphabetic: left-aligned within column, widest item centered, indented relative to L rows. ^ Vertical span: continue item from previous row into this row. - Draw a horizontal rule in this column. = Draw a double horizontal rule in this column. Key letters may be followed by modifiers, also either case: | Draw vertical rule between columns. || Draw a double vertical rule between columns. n Gap between column is n ens wide. Default is 3. Ffont Use specified font. B and I mean FB and FI. T Begin vertically-spanned item at top row of range; default is vertical centering (with Pn Use point size n. Vn Use n-point vertical spacing in text block; signed n means relative change. W(n) Column width as a troff width specification. Parens are optional if n is a simple integer. E Equalize the widths of all columns marked E. Each line of data becomes one row of the table; tabs separate items. Lines beginning with are troff requests. Certain special data items are recognized: _ Draw a horizontal rule in this column. = Draw a double horizontal rule in this column. A data line consisting of a single or draws the rule across the whole table. \_ Draw a rule only as wide as the contents of the column. Rx Repeat character x across the column. ^ Span the previous item in this column down into this row. T{ The item is a text block to be separately formatted by troff and placed in the table. The block continues to the next line begin- ning with T}. The remainder of the data line follows at that point. When it is used in a pipeline with eqn, the tbl command should be first, to minimize the volume of data passed through pipes. EXAMPLES
Let <tab> represent a tab (which should be typed as a genuine tab). .TS c s s c c s c c c l n n. Household Population Town<tab>Households <tab>Number<tab>Size Bedminster<tab>789<tab>3.26 Bernards Twp.<tab>3087<tab>3.74 Bernardsville<tab>2018<tab>3.30 .TE Household Population Town Households Number Size Bedminster 789 3.26 Bernards Twp. 3087 3.74 Bernardsville 2018 3.30 SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tbl SEE ALSO
troff(1), eqn(1), doctype(1) M. E. Lesk and L. L. Cherry, ``TBL--a Program to Format Tables'', Unix Research System Programmer's Manual, Tenth Edition, Volume 2. TBL(1)