Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Is there a script available to kill Idle users Post 75300 by tmarikle on Thursday 16th of June 2005 02:51:36 PM
Old 06-16-2005
How could it? It's an environment variable for the current shell. You need to set set this in a common profile.

Thomas

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill stranded/orphan process by users.

I have customers on our AIX/UNIX node startup a process that becomes stranded or orphaned and must be killed. I would like to create a script to check for these orphan processes and kill them. I can have cron run this job. The customers process will run and after 24 hours time out leaving an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjohnson
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for killing idle users

I need a script that will look for idle users and kill there proc. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdel80
7 Replies

3. AIX

Script allows user to kill other users: I'd like to know HOW...

Hello list, Have a problem that's highlighting gaps in my knowledge; can you assist? We have a script that's tacked onto our trading application which allows branch managers etc. to kill off the sessions of other users at their branch. A menu option in the application spawns a shell running... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexop
8 Replies

4. HP-UX

kill idle users

Hi, In my network we uses the NetTerm program to connect us to HP-UX 10.x server from windows workstations, but in some cases the user doesn't logout and close it by window's x button. The problem is that in HP-UX the user and all his tasks remain active and when he enter again HP-UX creates a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: efrenba
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to kill process after x idle min?

I need a script to kill those process id whose idle time is more than 30min plz help me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salil2012
3 Replies

6. AIX

Kill IDLE Process using script !!!

Dear Friends , I am using DB2 database in AIX 5.3 server . In my server some IDLE process are generated after several times which I need to kill it manually each and every time . The process I query like following : root@bagpuss $ ps auxw|sort -r +3|head -10 USER PID %CPU %MEM ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill idle script is killing unnecessarly

Hi All,I have a problem with my kill idle script.my script is supposed to kill the user sessions which are idle for more than 2 hours.But is is killing the sessions which are idle for less than 2 hrs also.I dont know the exact time after which the script is killing,but it is less than 2 hours i am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhu_kumar
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Kill idle dt session

Hi, i need to kill the idle dt sessions through script, can anyone tell me how to do? RJS (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajasekg
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

User idle time and kill

Hello.. I have many sleepy users on my Solaris box and need to kill them if they are idle for more than 45 minutes for example...I know who -u gives and the idle time but unable to make a awk line to get the condition perfect. Please help...:wall: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wimaxpole
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill idle Process using a script

Hi, I need a script that can automatically kill all processes named "webrepn" and "webrebw" if idle for more than 30 minutes. Then I will have a Cron Job to run the script every night or 2-3 times a day depends on how this script helps. Right now, I run "ps -ef | grep webrebn" and "kill -9... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaggieL
7 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)