Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace one section in a datafile Post 75293 by Paprika on Thursday 16th of June 2005 01:56:06 PM
Old 06-16-2005
Computer To be contiued: replace a paragraph in a textfile

Thanks, Kemisola. It works almost. The new paragraph is inserted.
However the old one remains. As I include comments in your script,
I should be able to a way to delete the old paragraph. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

oracle datafile *dbf

Hi ,,,, I have move an oracle db from old server to a new server ( solaris 5.9 is the operating system ) my problem is that to new server the datafile ( *.dbf ) are in a different path ..... example old : /export/home/data/blobs ........... new /oracle/data/blobs....... how i can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

selective positions from a datafile

Hi dear friends, Im writing a shell script which has to select the strings based on the position. but the problem is there is no field seperator. Normally a datafile contains 2000 records (lines) and each line is of size 500 charecters. I want to select the fields from all the lines which... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine a datafile with Master datafile, emergent!

Hi guys, my supervisor has asked me to solve the problem in 7 days, I've taken 3 days to think about it but couldn't figure out any idea. Please give me some thoughts with the following problem, I have index.database that has only index date: 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 I have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I read/find/replace fields in a csv datafile?

hello. I'm somewhat a novice here so please be patient. My stumbling block when loading csvs into ORACLE tables is this: I need to read a csv datafile, check several fields in each line, and if any of stated fields contain A ZERO only then replace it with a null/blank character. I had a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrCarter
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How do we know which processis creating a datafile

Hi, Is there any way we can find out which process is creating a partucular datafile.I know the user and group but i am just curios to know is there any way to find the process. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract section of file based on word in section

I have a list of Servers in no particular order as follows: virtualMachines="IIBSBS IIBVICDMS01 IIBVICMA01"And I am generating some output from a pre-existing script that gives me the following (this is a sample output selection). 9/17/2010 8:00:05 PM: Normal backup using VDRBACKUPS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting the datafile in an order given in second datafile

Hi, I have two files: first input file is having 7-8 columns, and second data file is like I want to arrange my datafile1 in the order given in second data file, by comparing the seconddatafile with the second column of first file and print the entire line....also if any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAch
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend first line of section to each line until the next section header

I have searched in a variety of ways in a variety of places but have come up empty. I would like to prepend a portion of a section header to each following line until the next section header. I have been using sed for most things up until now but I'd go for a solution in just about anything--... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagrus
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating a datafile with the datatypes

I have two input files 1)datafile 2)metadata file. I have a metadata file like: field1datatypeformat1number2string3dateyy-mm-dd I have a data file like: 1234abc12-8-16 xyz234512-9-163456acd14-08-12 In the first row there is no correction as everything is inline with the metadata.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikky6
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in numbers from a datafile

Hi, I want to be able to read numbers from many files which have the same general form as follows: C3H8 4.032258004031807E-002 Phi = 1.000000E+00 Tau = 5.749E+00 sL0 = 3.805542E+01 dL0 = 1.514926E-02 Tb = 2.328291E+03 Tu = 3.450E+02 Alpha = ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
3 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] < input DESCRIPTION
Clean the input in the manner used by Git for text such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)