Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fedora disks
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers fedora disks Post 75036 by BG_JrAdmin on Wednesday 15th of June 2005 02:18:35 AM
Old 06-15-2005
fedora disks

How can I see what partitions are laid out on the disk and what free space there is ( unpartitioned)

I think the existing partitions are taking up about 50% but i cant seem to find where it will show me that unused space.

how do i tell how big the disk is in the system?

Thanks again for your help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how many disks do I have?

Hi How do I check how many disks do I have in Solaris & HP-UX? Also what does this mean c9t1d5 in /dev/dsk what is c, t, d etc cheers (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: g-e-n-o
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disks on AIX

Hello I've been working on AIX 5.3 ML3 on IBM pSeries520. That server has 6 HDD drives in 3 volume groups (1+mirror in each group). I must check which phisical disk is which disk in the system. For ex. I want to know that disk in 4th slot in the machine is marked as hdisk5 on AIX. Does anybody... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
2 Replies

3. Solaris

New Array of disks

I was just curious if anyone has a good tutorial or some info about how I can create and add an array of disks to solaris 8 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: BRaider
11 Replies

4. Linux

Dual Boot Win XP And Fedora with Fedora Installed First

Hi everyone, I hope this question goes here. Anyways, I have a unique situation where my friend's comp has Fedora installed and wants to add Win XP as a dual boot without formatting the drive. Is it possible to create a partition on the current hard drive and then install win xp? I couldn't find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
4 Replies

5. Solaris

disks in solaris

whats the command to find name of all disks. Is it iostat -En ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Re-using disks

I would like to know if I can move the disks from a V240 chassis into a V440 chassis to use the increased resources (CPU & Memory) to boost performance. I know you can move disks between V210/240 chassis's, but I'm not sure if this would work between 240s & 440s. Any help would be much appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chains
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

fedora grub help, moving to tri boot (XP, ubuntu, fedora soemething)

I will shortly be adding a fedora flavor to my devel box. I currently have XP (installed first on an ssd), ubuntu 10.04 (installed second on the first partition of a platter drive), and I want to add either Cent or SL on the second partition of the platter drive. I will probably also want to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Broken Disks (?)

Hello Folks, I´m a New Unix admin (by forceps) and I got a warning from one server saying: Solaris Volume Manager: hostnamehere: metacheck: Report: Mon May 14 18:45:00 BRT 2012 -------------------------------------------------------------- metacheck: metadb problem, for more detail run: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxb368@motorola
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Where are my other disks on T5220 ?

Hi, I got a (used) server to install Solaris 11 and wipe out every information on existing disks. There are 6 disks of 300GB and two disks of 146GB. I am not able to figure out, how to find out RAID (if there is any) and break it. Can anybody help me with that ? Below is configuration. I have... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
18 Replies
PARTX(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  PARTX(8)

NAME
partx - tell the Linux kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions SYNOPSIS
partx [-a|-d|-s] [-t TYPE] [-n M:N] [-] disk partx [-a|-d|-s] [-t TYPE] partition [disk] DESCRIPTION
Given a device or disk-image, partx tries to parse the partition table and list its contents. It optionally adds or removes partitions. The disk argument is optional when a partition argument is provided. To force scanning a partition as if it were a whole disk (for example to list nested subpartitions), use the argument "-". For example: partx --show - /dev/sda3 This will see sda3 as a whole-disk rather than a partition. This is not an fdisk program -- adding and removing partitions does not change the disk, it just tells the kernel about the presence and numbering of on-disk partitions. OPTIONS
-a, --add Add the specified partitions, or read the disk and add all partitions. -b, --bytes Print the SIZE column in bytes rather than in human-readable format. -d, --delete Delete the specified partitions or all partitions. -g, --noheadings Do not print a header line. -l, --list List the partitions. Note that all numbers are in 512-byte sectors. This output format is DEPRECATED in favour of --show. Don't use it in newly written scripts. -o, --output list Define the output columns to use for --show and --raw output. If no output arrangement is specified, then a default set is used. Use --help to get list of all supported columns. -r, --raw Use the raw output format. -s, --show List the partitions. All numbers (except SIZE) are in 512-byte sectors. The output columns can be rearranged with the --output option. -t, --type type Specify the partition table type -- aix, bsd, dos, gpt, mac, minix, sgi, solaris_x86, sun, ultrix or unixware. -n, --nr M:N Specify the range of partitions. For backward compatibility also the format <M-N> is supported. The range may contain negative numbers, for example "--nr :-1" means the last partition, and "--nr -2:-1" means the last two partitions. Supported range specifi- cations are: <M> Specifies just one partition (e.g. --nr 3). <M:> Specifies lower limit only (e.g. --nr 2:). <:N> Specifies upper limit only (e.g. --nr :4). <M:N> or <M-N> Specifies lower and upper limits (e.g. --nr 2:4). EXAMPLES
partx --show /dev/sdb3 partx --show --nr 3 /dev/sdb partx --show /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb All three commands list partition 3 of /dev/sdb. partx --show - /dev/sdb3 Lists all subpartitions on /dev/sdb3 (the device is used as whole-disk). partx -o START -g --nr 3 /dev/sdb Prints the start sector of partition 5 on /dev/sda without header. partx -o SECTORS,SIZE /dev/sda5 /dev/sda Lists the length in sectors and human-readable size of partition 5 on /dev/sda. partx --add --nr 3:5 /dev/sdd Adds all available partitions from 3 to 5 (inclusive) on /dev/sdd. partx -d --nr :-1 /dev/sdd Removes the last partition on /dev/sdd. SEE ALSO
addpart(8), delpart(8), fdisk(8), parted(8), partprobe(8) AUTHORS
Davidlohr Bueso <dave@gnu.org> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> The original version was written by Andries E. Brouwer <aeb@cwi.nl>. AVAILABILITY
The partx command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. 1 Feb 2011 PARTX(8)