Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users set path so all new users can execute the command in /bin/mycommands Post 74836 by sravusa on Monday 13th of June 2005 07:26:38 PM
Old 06-13-2005
Question set path so all new users can execute the command in /bin/mycommands

I want to add a default path /bin/mycommands along with others to be loaded as default path for all new accounts created on my system . With out the new accounts not having to change thie manually to /bin/mycommands.Do I change the /etc/profile ? is there any better way?

Please throw some light.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

add bin to variable PATH and save changes

i wrote a script and is running. I add the path bin to variable PATH, i.e. PATH=$PATH/bin. i add this to PATH in order to run the script in any path working directory. Thats ok. The problem is as son as i close the session and start a new session, changes are lost. How can i tell the shell or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexcol
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Path of Recycle Bin on Windows

hello everybody, I am trying to find the path of the Recycle Bin. I know that it's a temporary storage place, but it should have a path that we can refer to. I want to know it because I sometimes use cygwin to work on Windows, and when you delete something with it, it's gone. I just checked... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set a path for a command?

Hi, I install java at Fedora Core. So to run any java applications i have to write the complety path. For example, /usr/java/jre1.5.0_11/bin/java "javafile" I want to write only "java" but it said "command not found". How i fix this? Thank you very much Lakis (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakis
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need sed command to read a path and set to variable

I have a variable called PATH that contains a path example: /Users/rtipton/Desktop/testusers/test I need a sed command to set a variable called USER to the last directory name in that path PATH="/Users/rtipton/Desktop/testusers/test" and from that PATH i need USER to = test I know sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tret
4 Replies

5. Solaris

How to set path for a command

Hi all, I am trying ping command in SUN v240 server but it is not working but when i am using the full path /usr/sbin/ping <ip address> then it is working. how to set the path of ping command so that by simply typing ping <ip address> it should work ? Plz help me out:( (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to execute a command on a path with a space in it...

Hello, I need to execute the following command in a script: /usr/bin/ssh 205.21.1.1 vmware-cmd -v /home/virtual machines//Machine.vmx"createsnapshot Weekly_Backup >/dev/null 2>&1 The problem is that there is a space between virtual and machines and when I run the script I get no such... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

How to set PATH variable for all HP-UX users when they login using ssh?

Hello friends, I need to set PATH variable for all HP-UX users. I tried to implement it using /etc/profile and /etc/sshrc both none of them work. I don't see sshrc file anywhere. Please advise! TIA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add to the search path - bin?

Hi, Now I have: /Users/okn/bin for my private shell scripts. How do I add /Users/okn/bin to my PATH? The PATH is right now: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin The .bash_profile doesn't state anything about a PATH (yet). I read about this: PATH=/bin:$PATH
 export PATH or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OmarKN
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Chroot: cannot execute /bin/sh: No such file or directory

Hi Expert, I'm having grub problem here: grub> root (hd0,0): Filesystem type is ext2 grub> setup Error 11 : Unrecognized Device String I try install boot loader follow the instruction from 26.2. Booting into Rescue Mode It says : select Continue, it attempts to mount your file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: justbow
4 Replies
chpasswd(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       chpasswd(8)

NAME
chpasswd - change user passwords in batch SYNOPSIS
chpasswd [-D binddn] [-P path] [-c des|md5|blowfish | -e] [file] DESCRIPTION
chpasswd changes passwords for user accounts in batch. It reads a list of login and password pairs from standard input or a file and uses this information to update the passwords of this user accounts. The named account must exist and the password age will be updated. Each input line is of the format: user_name:password If the hash algorithmus is not given on the commandline, the value of GROUP_CRYPT or, if not specified, CRYPT from /etc/default/passwd is used as hash algorithmus. If not configured, the traditinal des algorithmus is used. OPTIONS
-c des|md5|blowfish This option specifies the hash algorithmus, which should be used to encrypt the passwords. -e The passwords are expected to be in encrypted form. Normally the passwords are expected to be cleartext. -D, --binddn binddn Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory. The user will be prompted for a password for simple authentica- tion. -P, --path path The passwd and shadow files are located below the specified directory path. chpasswd will use this files, not /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. FILES
/etc/default/passwd - default values for password hash SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passwd(5), shadow(5) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils Feburary 2004 chpasswd(8)