Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk and file combination
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk and file combination Post 74823 by sickboy on Monday 13th of June 2005 04:42:34 PM
Old 06-13-2005
awk and file combination

Hi there,
I have 3 files and i want to take different fields from each file and combine them in one. I would like to ask if somebody tell me how can I refer to each field of the different files to write an awk command.

I mean can I do sth like

awk '........... print $1.file1 $3.file2}' file1 file2 file3

??????

Cheers

Last edited by sickboy; 06-13-2005 at 05:59 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell help - file combination

Dear all, I have a question about merging multiple files to one. For example, I have 4 files, named file_1, file_2, file_3 and file_4, they all have same line number, and only one word in each line. I want to combine these four files to one file, file_1 becomes the first column of the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ting123
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Awk Cut Grep Combination Help ?

I have been reading for a few hours trying to educate myself enough to accomplish this task, so please know I have performed some research. Unfortunately, I am not a *NIX scripting expert, or a coder. I come from a network background instead. SO, here is my desired outcome. I have some Cisco... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abbzer0
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a combination of sort/cut/grep/awk/join/paste/sed

I have a file and need to only select users that have a shell of “/bin/bash” in the line using awk or sed please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with awk for file combination

1)file1: | *Local Communication Bandwidths (MB/Sec) | Memory copy (bcopy) | | ^ | mmap_bandwidth | | ^ | mmap_read bandwidth | | ^ | memory write bandwidth | | Local Communication Latencies | Pipe Latency | 2)file2 422.6903 1948.9000 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combination awk and rename

Hello, i wondering if anybody can help me with the following: doing a search for the words "Sample ID:" in a file called test.txt and I need to have the string after this (Postmatch) Then I want that the string is used to rename an other file called test.pdf into .... the string.pdf I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcdok
8 Replies

6. Linux

Berkeley version bdf: combination of inode and file system usage

hello, i need a command like "bdf" of HP-UX. ( report number of free disk blocks (Berkeley version) ). it should report inode and file system usage in one line like bdf -i manpage : Man Page for bdf (all Section 1m) - The UNIX and Linux Forums HP-UX command "" report inode and file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Considerable trouble with for loop in combination with awk

I have the text file where each line has the format: chr10 101418889 101418904 0.816327 Right now the interval between column 2 and 3 is 15. I only want the two consecutive positions starting at position 1, write it to a file, then move up one position write to file etc. So that: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfern
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with parsing file with combination of pattern

I have a file1 like prt1|als28.1 prt3|als53.1 prt2|als550.1 prt1|bls9.2 prt2|als7.2 prt2|bls0.2 prt2|als872.1 prt1|bls871.1 prt2|als6.2 prt4|als22.1 prt2|bls43.2 I want to create a file2 from this file by comparing all the possible combinations of patterns (prt) assuming prt1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammy777
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display latest record from file based on multiple columns combination

I have requirement to print latest record from file based on multiple columns combination. EWAPE EW1SLE0000 EW1SOMU01 ABORTED 03/16/2015 100004 03/16/2015 100005 001 EWAPE EW1SLE0000 EW1SOMU01 ABORTED 03/18/2015 140003 03/18/2015 140004 001 EWAPE EW1SLE0000 EW1SOMU01 ABORTED 03/18/2015 220006... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or a combination of commands to read and calculate nth lines from pattern

Two numerical lines, found by either header line, need to be added and the total placed in a new-header section. Also the total should should be rounded or cut to a two decimal anynumber.XX format with the AB string added on the end. For example: The numerical lines from headers 2 and 3 are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessandr
3 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specifed in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. JOIN(1)