Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix performance monitoring via Windows/NT Post 7476 by rwb1959 on Wednesday 26th of September 2001 06:05:59 PM
Old 09-26-2001
When you telnet in, you can run..
uname -a

...and you will get information about what UNIX you are running.

Now... back to UNIX Watch...

I must tell you the I have never actually used this product
but it seems pretty stright forward. If we assume for a
moment that it has successfully connected to the UNIX system,
the next step would be to set up filters for what it is you wish
to monitor. I don't know if you get anything "out of the box".

You can verify (using the "who" command or the "ps" command)
that UNIX Watch is infact connected. It should look like a
user session for the user that you logged in as. When
verifying this, don't confuse the UNIX Watch connection with
your terminal program (telnet) connection. It would be best
to have UNIX Watch login as a specific user that no one else
uses.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

performance monitoring

hi, can any one tell me, is there is any way i can check the performance of my solaris 8 os on an Ent 3500. Other than top to check for the top most processes, how to make the calculations with vmstat, iostat, mpstat and nfsstat. Or is there any other tools that i can use? cheers. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i2admin
3 Replies

2. AIX

Performance monitoring

Hi All I am looking for a script that would collect statistics in a summarised format. CPU, Memory,Swap, Wait queue, Run queue and disk activity. Something that would allow me to profile the environment based on a 1 line output that I could run every 15 min. Thx Junaid (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Upload Performance using IE from Windows to Unix via HTTPS

Hi, Is there any performance issue uploading a file using IE from Windows client to UNIX server via HTTPS? Before that, we were using HTTP protocol and everything run smooth Once we change to HTTPS, we might hit the "HTTP 500 Internal server error" Even though this does not happen all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darontan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Performance monitoring

Hello, I am trying to find a way to view current CPU and disk usage. I used to use nmon which worked fine but since an upgrade to our servers this is no longer available. I have tried to get it reinstalled to no avail! Are there any other commands you can use within unix which will allow me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnwilliams
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix performance monitoring counters

Which performance counters you might to define as "The most important counters in checking unix performance" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gen4ik
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Performance Monitoring

In the vmstat , there are many columns you can see. Can someone tell me what is the most important column that i need to be watched on, and what value or average value should i watch inorder to determine that im experiencing a cpu bottle neck. What should be my basis. or if you use glance ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaibiganmi
2 Replies

7. Linux

Linux/Unix performance monitoring

This is my first post (yes I'm a newbie).... :D I'm looking for a list of Linux and Unix commands for performance monitoring and a good sight or area on this site that would have man pages and or information on those commands..... Thanks if anyone can take the time to post..... :cool: (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: harrisjl
14 Replies

8. Solaris

Performance Monitoring

Hi all, I am planning to give a presentation on performance measure. I have decided to focus on the commands which are used to know the performance of the server. I have a idea of prstat,vmstat,netstat, and iostat. Could anybody suggest me any other commands which are used for perforamance... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: priky
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance Monitoring script for UNIX servers

Hi, I have been working on writing an automated script that will run 24x7 to monitor the performance parameters like CPU,Memory,Disk I/O,Network,SWAP Space etc for all types of Unix servers ( HP-UX,AIX,SOLARIS,LINUX). Problem is I am confused with the commands top,prstat,vmstat,free,sar etc.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
4 Replies
getlogin(2)							System Calls Manual						       getlogin(2)

NAME
getlogin, getlogin_r, setlogin - Gets and sets login name SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getlogin(void); int getlogin_r( char *name, size_t len); int setlogin( char *name); The following function does not conform to current standards and is supported only for backward compatibility: int getlogin_r(char *name, int len); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: getlogin(), getlogin_r(): XSH5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Points to the login name. Specifies the length of the buffer pointed to by name. DESCRIPTION
The getlogin() function returns the login name of the user associated with the current session. The name is normally associated with a login shell at the time a session is created, and is inherited by all processes descended from the login shell. (This is true even if some of those processes assume another user ID, for example when the su command is used.) The setlogin() function sets the login name of the user associated with the current session to name. This call is restricted to the supe- ruser, and is normally used only when a new session is being created on behalf of the named user (for example, at login time, or when a remote shell is invoked). The getlogin_r() function is the reentrant version of getlogin(). Upon successful completion, the login name is stored in name. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the getlogin() function returns a pointer to a null-terminated string in a static buffer or a null pointer if the user's login name cannot be found. If getlogin() fails, a null pointer is returned, and errno is set to indicate the error. Upon successful completion, the setlogin() function returns a value of 0 (zero). If setlogin() fails, then a value of -1 is returned and an error code is placed in errno. Upon successful completion, the getlogin_r() function returns a value of 0 (zero). Otherwise, an error number is returned. [Tru64 UNIX] Upon successful completion, the obsolete version of the getlogin_r() function returns a value of 0 (zero). Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If the getlogin(), getlogin_r(), or setlogin() function fails, errno may be set to one of the following values: [Tru64 UNIX] The name parameter gave an invalid address. [Tru64 UNIX] The name parameter pointed to a string that was too long. [Tru64 UNIX] Login names are limited to 64 characters, as specified by MAXLOGNAME (which is defined in sys/user.h). However, this name limit must be enabled in the kernel at boot time by explicitly setting the generic subsystem's login_name_max attribute to 64. For backward compatibility reasons, 12 is the default value of the login_name_max attribute. An additional value for a setlogin() failure is the following: [Tru64 UNIX] The caller tried to set the login name and was not the supe- ruser. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: su(1) Functions: setsid(2) Standards: standards(5) delim off getlogin(2)