Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers for do done loop -- my vision blurs Post 74744 by yongho on Monday 13th of June 2005 10:02:18 AM
Old 06-13-2005
rules: Question about loops in general

If I create a variable inside of a loop, is it available outside of the loop?

PHP Code:
for ex:
while 
read FILENAME
do
HAMMERS=1
done 
What if I created the variable, before the loop?

PHP Code:
HAMMERS=0

while read FILENAME
do
HAMMERS=1
done 

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem With Makefiles, how do I install gandalf vision library?

Hi, I am trying to install Gandalf, a computer vision and numerical library (http://gandalf-library.sourceforge.net/). I am using Cygwin on a Windows machine and have tried everything to get this to build, but to no avail. Gcc, make, and libtool are all included in my Cygwin install. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justinh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GigE Vision driver for VxWorks

Hello, has anybody implemented a driver for the GigE camera interface standard GigE Vision for VxWorks or knows where to aquire it? I have contacted all GigE Vision camera vendors, but most of them only have support for Windows and Linux and nobody does for VxWorks. Best regards, Anna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iq128
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies
WATCH(1)							Linux User's Manual							  WATCH(1)

NAME
watch - execute a program periodically, showing output fullscreen SYNOPSIS
watch [-dhv] [-n <seconds>] [--differences[=cumulative]] [--help] [--interval=<seconds>] [--version] <command> DESCRIPTION
watch runs command repeatedly, displaying its output (the first screenfull). This allows you to watch the program output change over time. By default, the program is run every 2 seconds; use -n or --interval to specify a different interval. The -d or --differences flag will highlight the differences between successive updates. The --cumulative option makes highlighting "sticky", presenting a running display of all positions that have ever changed. watch will run until interrupted. NOTE
Note that command is given to "sh -c" which means that you may need to use extra quoting to get the desired effect. Note that POSIX option processing is used (i.e., option processing stops at the first non-option argument). This means that flags after command don't get interpreted by watch itself. EXAMPLES
To watch for mail, you might do watch -n 60 from To watch the contents of a directory change, you could use watch -d ls -l If you're only interested in files owned by user joe, you might use watch -d 'ls -l | fgrep joe' To see the effects of quoting, try these out watch echo $$ watch echo '$$' watch echo "'"'$$'"'" You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r (Just kidding.) BUGS
Upon terminal resize, the screen will not be correctly repainted until the next scheduled update. All --differences highlighting is lost on that update as well. Non-printing characters are stripped from program output. Use "cat -v" as part of the command pipeline if you want to see them. AUTHORS
The original watch was written by Tony Rems <rembo@unisoft.com> in 1991, with mods and corrections by Francois Pinard. It was reworked and new features added by Mike Coleman <mkc@acm.org> in 1999. 1999 Apr 3 WATCH(1)