Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check parameter variable? Post 74606 by negixx on Friday 10th of June 2005 04:29:41 PM
Old 06-10-2005
How to check parameter variable?

Hello All,

I have a script that will email out if the email address is specified as parameter 1.

I am using ksh, and then tried the following :

email=$1

Following did not work, I am getting error
test -z $email
test ${email:=" ") -eq " "
test -n $email
test ${?email}

What I am trying to do is, if $1 has a value, then email the report to that email address...

i.e. getreport.ksh test@gmail.com - will generate report and then email out.
getreport.ksh - will just generate the report

Thanks!

Joseph

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with making a parameter check script.

I am making a script to check the parameters, but it seems that I can't catch the parameters by loop. $ cat sendmsg.sh #!/bin/sh ## Parameter Check i=0 max=$# while do PARAM=$${i} i=`expr ${i} + 1` echo ${PARAM} done How can I get the $1, $2, $3 by loop and set their... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GCTEII
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if parameter passes in contains certain string

Hi Guys, I am writing a Unix script which accepts a directory path as parameter $1 so something like /user5.data/WA/01 will be passed in. I want to determine if the directory path passed in contains "WA" as above (because then I need to do something specific if it does) What is the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcunney
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a variable from parameter file

HI all, I have a parameter file with entries like $$Name =Abhinav $$CUTOFF_DATE = 11/11/2209 I am reading a variable from this file using a awk command like : var2=`awk -F"" "/CUTOFF_DATE/{f=$1;}{print f;}" InputFIleName` but facing an error like awk: cmd. line:1:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav192
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check what are the current kernel parameter settings

Hi all, I have four (4) different UNIX flavours and I want to know whether the following commands are correct with respect to wanting to check on what are my current kernel parameter settings. I just want to clear the doubts hanging over my head whether the commands below are the right ones... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check input parameter

Hi all i need to check that if user has passed any input parameter while executing he shell script like ./test1.sh -a"-v" then do smothing if user execute the script without giving input paramater then ./test1.sh then do something how can we check this input parameter (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a function with a variable parameter into another variable?

Hello again :) Am currently trying to write a function which will delete a record from a file. The code currently looks as such: function deleteRecord() { clear read -p "Please enter the ID of the record you wish to remove: " strID ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check parameter is number or string

Hey I'm new in linux, I'm looking for a code to check whether the parameter is a number or a string. I have already tried this code: eerste=$(echo $1 | grep "^*$">aux) if But it doesn't work.:confused: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eclecticaa
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable parameter assigning prblms

Hi, In my script, there is a variable as below TME=`date +%H` I want to take this TME value into another variable called TME_PAR which i can use outside of the current script and this TME_PAR is already present in my home_dir and i wrote below line of code $home_dir/$TME_PAR=`echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Duplicate check by passing external parameter

I have a code which is using to find duplicates in a files based on column.Below is the same code which is used to find duplicates in my file based on column 1 awk -F'|' '{if (x) { x_count++; print $0; if (x_count == 1) { print x } } x = $0}' FileName >Dup_File.txt But my requirement here is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify the Parameter variable file

Hi I am trying to understand a shell scipt file ( .ksh file ) . In the shell script we are referring a variable . Example : SessLogs=$STAFF_MSTR_DIR/staff_dtls There are no references in the shell script from where the variable "$STAFF_MSTR_DIR" is being read from . Could anyone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudheer Maddula
2 Replies
Log::Dispatch::Email(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Log::Dispatch::Email(3pm)

NAME
Log::Dispatch::Email - Base class for objects that send log messages via email VERSION
version 2.32 SYNOPSIS
package Log::Dispatch::Email::MySender; use Log::Dispatch::Email; use base qw( Log::Dispatch::Email ); sub send_email { my $self = shift; my %p = @_; # Send email somehow. Message is in $p{message} } DESCRIPTION
This module should be used as a base class to implement Log::Dispatch::* objects that send their log messages via email. Implementing a subclass simply requires the code shown in the SYNOPSIS with a real implementation of the "send_email()" method. CONSTRUCTOR
The constructor takes the following parameters in addition to the standard parameters documented in Log::Dispatch::Output: o subject ($) The subject of the email messages which are sent. Defaults to "$0: log email" o to ($ or @) Either a string or a list reference of strings containing email addresses. Required. o from ($) A string containing an email address. This is optional and may not work with all mail sending methods. o buffered (0 or 1) This determines whether the object sends one email per message it is given or whether it stores them up and sends them all at once. The default is to buffer messages. METHODS
o send_email(%p) This is the method that must be subclassed. For now the only parameter in the hash is 'message'. o flush If the object is buffered, then this method will call the "send_email()" method to send the contents of the buffer and then clear the buffer. o DESTROY On destruction, the object will call "flush()" to send any pending email. AUTHOR
Dave Rolsky <autarch@urth.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is Copyright (c) 2011 by Dave Rolsky. This is free software, licensed under: The Artistic License 2.0 (GPL Compatible) perl v5.14.2 2012-05-25 Log::Dispatch::Email(3pm)