Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix and virus
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unix and virus Post 74585 by Kelam_Magnus on Friday 10th of June 2005 02:42:24 PM
Old 06-10-2005
On the virus question... UNIces have a much better architecture than Winblows systems... they are naturally more secure and the fact that most viruses are aimed visual applications like VB and outlook and outlook express and such. Unices in general are text based which also makes it harder to attack with viruses... of a general nature.

Unices are just less likely to be hit, mainly b/c Unix SAs know wth they are doing!!! Smilie haha!!! Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

anti-spam virus package for Unix

:( Is there anyone know the anti-spam and anti- virus package software list for Unix !!?? Where can I find that, I have no idea in searching through the internet! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wwayne
2 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Virus Protection for Unix Web Servers

Do companies use virus protection software on all UNIX servers that are used as web servers even if the servers are not used for e-mail traffic? Has anyone installed Norton Antivirus software on their UNIX web servers or do the security patches cover viruses and worms? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karen Stone
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can linux get a virus on the boot sec from windows? becuse my buddys computer micro trend cmos virus keeps telling him that there is a boot sec virus on my hdd is that possable or is the box being dumb and looking at the linux boot as a virus? it was set up as a windows box not a linux... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicrawler2000
4 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to scan for virus on a Unix Server

Hi, I updated an antivorus software on my Unix server using, tar to explode teh dat files. But I don't know how to run the scan. Please can any1 assist? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ronny
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

virus in unix/linux ...?

hi, my questions are: 1). Is it possible to write virus programs on unix or linux environments? 2).if no why? technical answers.... 3).is it right? "It is not possible to write virus programs in open source environments" inventsekar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virus and Worm on Linux/unix System

Hello all, I just got asked if virus and worms are a big thing in unix/linux OS. My response was no, but after looking I found that there can be issues but very few. I would justy like to know from the working community what is the truth on virus and worms on unix/linux OS? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: larryase
1 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

virus help:

:confused: folder option is dissapiaring in tool menu iam formatting c drive after removal of this virus & also regedit is also not opening the messerge say's administrater disabled with out formattiung how ican solve this problem i.e iwant to get folder options& regedit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshumohan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virus software for Unix

The company I work for is in the process of going to a Unix Server. I am trying to find out if there is a version of Norton Antivirus that will work on a Unix server. If not, what is the recommended virus software for Unix? I have done some Google searches and found that there is a greater... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbarker
3 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

Mail server to Unix Server Virus threat

I want to connect a SunOS Generic_142900-03 sun4v sparc SUNW,Netra-T2000 server carrying live traffic to my mail server so that i can forward the email on root on the server to my corporate email address. I am not too sure about the virus threat that could arise. I want a unidirectional transfer... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinktank
2 Replies
freshclam(1)							  Clam AntiVirus						      freshclam(1)

NAME
freshclam - update virus databases SYNOPSIS
freshclam [options] DESCRIPTION
freshclam is a virus database update tool for ClamAV. OPTIONS
Freshclam reads its configuration from freshclam.conf. The settings can be overwritten with command line options. -h, --help Output help information and exit. -V, --version Print version number and exit. -v, --verbose Be verbose. This option causes freshclam to print much additional information. --quiet Be quiet - output only error messages. --no-warnings Don't print and log warnings. --stdout Write all messages to stdout. -l FILE, --log=FILE Write download report to FILE. --datadir=DIRECTORY Install new database in DIRECTORY. The directory must be writable for the '' user or unprivileged user running freshclam. -u USER, --user USER Run as USER. By default (when started by root) freshclam drops privileges and operates as the '' user. -d, --daemon Run in a daemon mode. This option requires --checks. -p FILE, --pid=FILE Write daemon's pid to FILE. --no-dns This option forces old non-DNS verification method (without a TTL delay). -c #n, --checks=#n Check #n times per day for a new database. #n must be between 1 and 50. --daemon-notify=/path/to/clamd.conf Notify the daemon about the new database. By default it reads a hardcoded config file but you can use a different one. Both local and TCP sockets are supported. -a IP, --local-address=IP Use (local) IP for HTTP downloads. Useful for multi-homed systems. If binding fails for whatever reason, a warning is issued and freshclam behaves like without this flag. --on-error-execute=COMMAND Execute COMMAND if error occurred. Remember, that virus database freshness is the most important thing in anti-virus system. With this option freshclam can alert you (eg. send SMS) when something is going wrong. --on-update-execute=COMMAND Execute COMMAND after successful update. --on-outdated-execute=COMMAND Execute COMMAND when freshclam reports outdated version. In the command string %v will be replaced by the new version number. --list-mirrors Print mirror details from mirrors.dat (cache file for the mirror manager). --submit-stats[=/path/to/clamd.conf] Upload detection statistics to the ClamAV Project (see freshclam.conf(5):SubmitDetectionStats for more details). No database update will be performed. This option only works in the interactive mode. EXAMPLES
(0) Download database to default directory: freshclam (1) Download database to current directory: freshclam --datadir=. (2) Run as a daemon and check 2 times per day for new database: freshclam -d -c 2 RETURN CODES
Some return codes of freshclam can be overwritten with a built-in command EXIT_n which can be passed to --on-*-execute, eg. --on-update-execute=EXIT_1 will force freshclam to always return 1 after successful database update. 0 : Database is up-to-date or successfully updated. 40: Unknown option passed. 50: Can't change directory. 51: Can't check MD5 sum. 52: Connection (network) problem. 53: Can't unlink file. 54: MD5 or digital signature verification error. 55: Error reading file. 56: Config file error. 57: Can't create new file. 58: Can't read database from remote server. 59: Mirrors are not fully synchronized (try again later). 60: Can't get information about '' user from /etc/passwd. 61: Can't drop privileges. 62: Can't initialize logger. FILES
/etc/freshclam.conf CREDITS
Please check the full documentation for credits. AUTHOR
Tomasz Kojm <tkojm@clamav.net> SEE ALSO
freshclam.conf(5), clamd(8), clamd.conf(5), clamscan(1) ClamAV 0.96.1 February 12, 2007 freshclam(1)