Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Edit and insert character in a text file Post 74552 by negixx on Friday 10th of June 2005 12:54:46 PM
Old 06-10-2005
Edit and insert character in a text file

Hello All,

Can somebody please help me how to accomplish the following :

I have a text file called data.txt that has the following information :

M|88494-998494
M|98jd#0094
M|88394-994049
M|GFG9980#009944
and so on...

I need to replace the value of M to either "S" or "X" depending on whether there is "-" or "#" in the record. If there is a "-"m replace it with "S".....

Can I just use SED? thnaks!

Joseph

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I insert character to end of file?

Hello all How can I insert character to the end of text file without opening it in vi Just simple one liner, can it be done? Tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

edit this text file

hi, i need to remove the first column (and dash) from this text file. Is there any unix command allowing me to do it ? 1-16 2-28 3-16 4-20 5- 8 6-32 7-19 8-16 9-27 10- 7 11-14 12-18 thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character in a specific position of a file

Hi, I need to add Pipe (|) at 5th and 18th position of all records a file. How can I do this? I tried to add it at 5th position using the below code. It didnt work. Please help!!! awk '{substr($0,5,1) ~ /|/}{print}' $input_file > $temp_file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit first line of a text file

Hi friends, Issue1: I have a text file with the first line like this #chrom start end Readcount_A Normalized_Readcount_A ReadcountB Normalized_Readcount_B Fc_A_vs_B pvalue_A_vs_B FDR_A_vs_B Fc_B_vs_A pvalue_B_vs_A FDR_B_vs_A <a href="http://unix.com/">Link</a> How can I change it to the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to edit a text file

hi, could someone share a short script that would process a .txt file and do the following, for example the text file has this form 0:1.0 1:1.0 2:2.0 3:3.0 4:4.0 5:5.0 6:6.0 7:7.0 8:8.0 ... {newline} 9:9.0 10:10.0 11:11.0 12:12.0 13:13.0 14:14.0 15:15.0 16:16.0 17:17.0 ... {newline} and I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_lady
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character at specific location in a each line of the file

Hi All, I am trying to write a shell script where it should insert character 'I' in 180th position of each line(except first and last line) of the file. Below is the script for file in /home/test/bharat/*.RET do # Process file echo "File Name=" $file #l_fileName="${file##*/}" ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath561989
19 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use sed to insert character in the beginning of file path?

I need to manipulate one Database file on Solaris 11 in which contains more than 5000 lines of data file path like this: '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/system01.dbf', '/data7/oradata/DBNAME/undotbs1_01.dbf', '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/sysaux01.dbf', '/data28/oradata/DBNAME/userdata01.dbf', ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
6 Replies
XmTextFieldReplace(3X)													    XmTextFieldReplace(3X)

NAME
XmTextFieldReplace - A TextField function that replaces part of a text string SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/TextF.h> void XmTextFieldReplace (widget, from_pos, to_pos, value) Widget widget; XmTextPosition from_pos; XmTextPosition to_pos; char * value; DESCRIPTION
XmTextFieldReplace replaces part of the text string in the TextField widget. The character positions begin at zero and are numbered sequentially from the beginning of the text. An example text replacement would be to replace the second and third characters in the text string. To accomplish this, the parameter from_pos must be 1 and to_pos must be 3. To insert a string after the fourth character, both parameters, from_pos and to_pos, must be 4. This routine calls the widget's XmNvalueChangedCallback and verification callbacks, either XmNmodifyVerifyCallback or XmNmodifyVerifyCall- backWcs, or both. If both verification callback lists are registered, the procedures of the XmNmodifyVerifyCallback list are executed first and the resulting data is passed to the XmNmodifyVerifyCallbackWcs callbacks. Specifies the TextField widget ID Specifies the start position of the text to be replaced Specifies the end position of the text to be replaced Specifies the character string value to be added to the text widget For a complete definition of TextField and its associated resources, see XmTextField(3X). SEE ALSO
XmTextField(3X), XmTextFieldReplaceWcs(3X) XmTextFieldReplace(3X)