Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix and virus
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unix and virus Post 74496 by d11wtq on Friday 10th of June 2005 05:49:29 AM
Old 06-10-2005
XP will overwrite the boot sector of your hard disk so you'll need a unix boot floppy or CD if you do it that way.

Quick note: This is purely an educated guess as to why you barely hear of unix viruses:

1. Desire to corrupt the oragnisation behind *nix is far less.
2. Beacuse it's Open Source there are developer's all over the world constantly improving it.
3. THIS IS THE BIG ONE. Security. You can't do much damage to unix unless you have super user rights to the system (unlike windows).

Like I say, that's only my opinions however.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

anti-spam virus package for Unix

:( Is there anyone know the anti-spam and anti- virus package software list for Unix !!?? Where can I find that, I have no idea in searching through the internet! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wwayne
2 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Virus Protection for Unix Web Servers

Do companies use virus protection software on all UNIX servers that are used as web servers even if the servers are not used for e-mail traffic? Has anyone installed Norton Antivirus software on their UNIX web servers or do the security patches cover viruses and worms? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karen Stone
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can linux get a virus on the boot sec from windows? becuse my buddys computer micro trend cmos virus keeps telling him that there is a boot sec virus on my hdd is that possable or is the box being dumb and looking at the linux boot as a virus? it was set up as a windows box not a linux... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicrawler2000
4 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to scan for virus on a Unix Server

Hi, I updated an antivorus software on my Unix server using, tar to explode teh dat files. But I don't know how to run the scan. Please can any1 assist? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ronny
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

virus in unix/linux ...?

hi, my questions are: 1). Is it possible to write virus programs on unix or linux environments? 2).if no why? technical answers.... 3).is it right? "It is not possible to write virus programs in open source environments" inventsekar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virus and Worm on Linux/unix System

Hello all, I just got asked if virus and worms are a big thing in unix/linux OS. My response was no, but after looking I found that there can be issues but very few. I would justy like to know from the working community what is the truth on virus and worms on unix/linux OS? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: larryase
1 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

virus help:

:confused: folder option is dissapiaring in tool menu iam formatting c drive after removal of this virus & also regedit is also not opening the messerge say's administrater disabled with out formattiung how ican solve this problem i.e iwant to get folder options& regedit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshumohan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virus software for Unix

The company I work for is in the process of going to a Unix Server. I am trying to find out if there is a version of Norton Antivirus that will work on a Unix server. If not, what is the recommended virus software for Unix? I have done some Google searches and found that there is a greater... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbarker
3 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

Mail server to Unix Server Virus threat

I want to connect a SunOS Generic_142900-03 sun4v sparc SUNW,Netra-T2000 server carrying live traffic to my mail server so that i can forward the email on root on the server to my corporate email address. I am not too sure about the virus threat that could arise. I want a unidirectional transfer... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinktank
2 Replies
installgrub(1M) 														   installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)