Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix and virus
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unix and virus Post 74464 by taurian1234 on Friday 10th of June 2005 12:58:28 AM
Old 06-10-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurian1234
why one normally hears tht virus has stuck windows and one does not hear that unix has been stuck by virus...wht make unix so powerfull tht virus does not stuck it.

Also, i m beginner for unix....can i nw hw the multi booting of sun solaris and windows xp can be made...i have tried to install sun first and then xp but sun does not allow it to work on it....

also, can i have universal license number and license code for SCI open service 5.0 unix

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

anti-spam virus package for Unix

:( Is there anyone know the anti-spam and anti- virus package software list for Unix !!?? Where can I find that, I have no idea in searching through the internet! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wwayne
2 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Virus Protection for Unix Web Servers

Do companies use virus protection software on all UNIX servers that are used as web servers even if the servers are not used for e-mail traffic? Has anyone installed Norton Antivirus software on their UNIX web servers or do the security patches cover viruses and worms? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karen Stone
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can linux get a virus on the boot sec from windows? becuse my buddys computer micro trend cmos virus keeps telling him that there is a boot sec virus on my hdd is that possable or is the box being dumb and looking at the linux boot as a virus? it was set up as a windows box not a linux... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicrawler2000
4 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to scan for virus on a Unix Server

Hi, I updated an antivorus software on my Unix server using, tar to explode teh dat files. But I don't know how to run the scan. Please can any1 assist? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ronny
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

virus in unix/linux ...?

hi, my questions are: 1). Is it possible to write virus programs on unix or linux environments? 2).if no why? technical answers.... 3).is it right? "It is not possible to write virus programs in open source environments" inventsekar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virus and Worm on Linux/unix System

Hello all, I just got asked if virus and worms are a big thing in unix/linux OS. My response was no, but after looking I found that there can be issues but very few. I would justy like to know from the working community what is the truth on virus and worms on unix/linux OS? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: larryase
1 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

virus help:

:confused: folder option is dissapiaring in tool menu iam formatting c drive after removal of this virus & also regedit is also not opening the messerge say's administrater disabled with out formattiung how ican solve this problem i.e iwant to get folder options& regedit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshumohan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virus software for Unix

The company I work for is in the process of going to a Unix Server. I am trying to find out if there is a version of Norton Antivirus that will work on a Unix server. If not, what is the recommended virus software for Unix? I have done some Google searches and found that there is a greater... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbarker
3 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

Mail server to Unix Server Virus threat

I want to connect a SunOS Generic_142900-03 sun4v sparc SUNW,Netra-T2000 server carrying live traffic to my mail server so that i can forward the email on root on the server to my corporate email address. I am not too sure about the virus threat that could arise. I want a unidirectional transfer... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinktank
2 Replies
S3QLLOCK(1)							       S3QL							       S3QLLOCK(1)

NAME
s3qllock - Make trees on an S3QL file system immutable SYNOPSIS
s3qllock [options] <directory> DESCRIPTION
S3QL is a file system for online data storage. Before using S3QL, make sure to consult the full documentation (rather than just the man pages which only briefly document the available userspace commands). The s3qllock command makes a directory tree in an S3QL file system immutable. Immutable trees can no longer be changed in any way whatso- ever. You can not add new files or directories and you can not change or delete existing files and directories. The only way to get rid of an immutable tree is to use the s3qlrm command. s3qllock can only be called by the user that mounted the file system and (if the file system was mounted with --allow-other or --allow-root) the root user. This limitation might be removed in the future (see issue 155). RATIONALE
Immutability is a feature designed for backups. Traditionally, backups have been made on external tape drives. Once a backup was made, the tape drive was removed and locked somewhere in a shelf. This has the great advantage that the contents of the backup are now permanently fixed. Nothing (short of physical destruction) can change or delete files in the backup. In contrast, when backing up into an online storage system like S3QL, all backups are available every time the file system is mounted. Nothing prevents a file in an old backup from being changed again later on. In the worst case, this may make your entire backup system worthless. Imagine that your system gets infected by a nasty virus that simply deletes all files it can find -- if the virus is active while the backup file system is mounted, the virus will destroy all your old backups as well! Even if the possibility of a malicious virus or trojan horse is excluded, being able to change a backup after it has been made is generally not a good idea. A common S3QL use case is to keep the file system mounted at all times and periodically create backups with rsync -a. This allows every user to recover her files from a backup without having to call the system administrator. However, this also allows every user to accidentally change or delete files in one of the old backups. Making a backup immutable protects you against all these problems. Unless you happen to run into a virus that was specifically programmed to attack S3QL file systems, backups can be neither deleted nor changed after they have been made immutable. OPTIONS
The s3qllock command accepts the following options: --debug activate debugging output --quiet be really quiet --version just print program version and exit EXIT STATUS
s3qllock returns exit code 0 if the operation succeeded and 1 if some error occurred. SEE ALSO
The S3QL homepage is at http://code.google.com/p/s3ql/. The full S3QL documentation should also be installed somewhere on your system, common locations are /usr/share/doc/s3ql or /usr/local/doc/s3ql. COPYRIGHT
2008-2011, Nikolaus Rath 1.11.1 August 27, 2014 S3QLLOCK(1)