Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cron running shell scripts.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cron running shell scripts. Post 7434 by giannicello on Wednesday 26th of September 2001 11:20:52 AM
Old 09-26-2001
What you have should work. I have the same setup.
I kick off a script, say, first.sh which contains all the necessary paths, variables, etc and this first.sh script kicks off the next one which kicks off the next one, etc.

crontab:

00 22 * * 1-5 ksh $HOME/bin/first.sh > $HOME/log/first.log 2>&1

This has been working for as long as I can remember and I think you are on the right track.

first.sh scripts:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:$SQLDIR/bin:$HOME/bin
USERID=user01
PW=mypasswd
LOGFILE=$HOME/log/logfile.log
LIBPATH=...whatever
etc

. $HOME/bin/second.sh

you get the idea.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running shell scripts on a remote server

Hi - I am running Mac OS X (Terminal) at my current workstation, and I would like to telnet to my local server to run a shell script. The local server is a Solaris machine (don't know the version or the type of Unix being run on it, sorry.) The problem I have is that when I create a #!/bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pepintheshort
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running vendor shell scripts

Does anyone run a lot of SH (shell script) commands from vendors. i.e... product installations. And do you edit/change as a rule of thumb? I done a lot of product installs and some tend to think we should edit/change a vendors SH script. I am just looking for your thoughts. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Javagate
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix shell scripts for running on solaris

am new to programmming any body suggest , how to execute, shell script interactively and like stream line edit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srini_ibmadmin
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running shell scripts from web browser

I am in need of a mechanism to run shell scripts from web browser. Could any one of you guide me as to which technology to choose? I have some scripts which take some arguments. Appreciate you response. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: corleone
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running scripts within scripts from cron

Hi all, I have set up a cron job which calls another shell script shell script which in turn calls a Java process. The cron tab looks so. 0,30 7-18 * * 1-5 /u01/home/weblogic/brp/bin/checkstatus.sh >> /u01/home/weblogic/logs/checkstatus.log The checkstatus.sh scripts looks like this. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbrian
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running 2 scripts one after the other using cron

I would like to run two scripts using cron one immediately after the other. Is it enough to put them one after another in the cron file to run at the same time, or will this cause them to run concurrently? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3210
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic running of Shell scripts

Hi, I have this problem of merging 2 shell scripts and run it one after the other. For eg: script A runs to give OutputA. This OutputA should become the input of script B which will run to give OuputB. Now this has to happen automatically i.e, script A and script B should run consecutively one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vindhyaauri
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running shell scripts from command

I have written a few shellscripts to run a videogame (starcraft) at different patched versions. For example bw113 runs the 1.13 version of the game. These works perfectly when I run them from command line (./bw113). However I cannot get it to work via mouseclick. Some Information: - I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lordsloth
5 Replies

9. Solaris

running scripts from cron

I need to run a script (from cron) that runs a second script. What worries me is that second script, when run from bash, upon finishing doesn't return to bash unless I press the 'Enter' key. I presume that's because last command in that script ends with & Could that be a problem for cron?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running multiple php scripts into one php only, cron mail alert problem...

hi, while separated they produce the usual mail alert and i can see the output... if i write into the php script: <?php system('php -f /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/folder/script1.php'); system('php -f /var/www/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/folder/script2.php'); system('php -f... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 7stars
0 Replies
cron(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   cron(8)

NAME
cron - The system clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
The cron daemon runs shell commands at specified dates and times. Commands that are to run according to a regular or periodic schedule are found within the crontab files. Commands that are to run once only are found within the at files. You submit crontab and at file entries by using the crontab and at commands. Because the cron process exits only when killed or when the system stops, only one cron daemon should exist on the system at any given time. Normally, you start the cron daemon from within a run command file. During process initialization and when cron detects a change, it examines the crontab and at files. This strategy reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. The cron command creates a log of its activities. The cron daemon must be started from the system startup scripts because it must begin execution without a login user ID set. The cron daemon starts each job with the following process attributes stored with the job by the invoking process: Login user ID Effective and real user IDs Effective and real group IDs Supplementary groups It also establishes the following attributes from the authentication profile of the account associated with the login user ID of the invok- ing process: Audit control and disposition masks Kernel authorizations DIAGNOSTICS
The at and batch programs will refuse to accept jobs submitted from processes whose login user ID is different from the real user ID. FILES
Specifies the command path. Main cron directory Directory containing the crontab files. List of allowed users. List of denied users His- tory information for cron Queue description file for at, batch, and cron RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: at(1), crontab(1), rc0(8), rc2(8), rc3(8) Files: queuedefs(4) delim off cron(8)