Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Some Sweeping, General Information from AT&T Post 74243 by rfmurphy_6 on Wednesday 8th of June 2005 02:07:39 PM
Old 06-08-2005
Tools Very...

interesting Smilie

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

system general information

hi I am new to this forum. hope to get help from u all. how can i write these by using shell programming? 1. The name of the machine and the date/time at which the report was produced. 2. Licensing information such as the operating system revision level and license restrictions in terms of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nokia1100
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need information about System V & Berkley Syntax for Unix

Hi, Can somebody give me some information on System V & Berkley's Unix formats. Any link will be helpful. thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

In PHP replacing text between TAGS & URI information in Title Tag

Hi, what I am trying to do in PHP, is to replace the Title. I need some of the URL information inside aswell depending on the domain. The title is always different so I need to store it in a variable, put the url info like described below in front of it. Here is an example how it should... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying file information using awk & grep

Hi, TASK 1: I have been using this code to print the information of files kept at "/castor/cern.ch/user/s/sudha/forPooja" in some text file name FILE.txt. rfdir /castor/cern.ch/user/s/sudha/forPooja | grep data | awk '{print "rfio:///castor/cern.ch/user/s/sudha/forPooja/"$9}' > FILE.txt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying the Header & footer Information to the Outfile.

Hi I am writing a perl script which checks for the specific column values from a file and writes to the OUT file. So the feed file has a header information and footer information. I header information isaround107 lines i.e. Starts with START-OF-FILE ....... so on .... ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
11 Replies
TALK(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TALK(1)

NAME
talk -- talk to another user SYNOPSIS
talk person [ttyname] DESCRIPTION
Talk is a visual communication program which copies lines from your terminal to that of another user. Options available: person If you wish to talk to someone on your own machine, then person is just the person's login name. If you wish to talk to a user on another host, then person is of the form 'user@host'. ttyname If you wish to talk to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name, where ttyname is of the form 'ttyXX'. When first called, talk sends the message Message from TalkDaemon@his_machine... talk: connection requested by your_name@your_machine. talk: respond with: talk your_name@your_machine to the user you wish to talk to. At this point, the recipient of the message should reply by typing talk your_name@your_machine It doesn't matter from which machine the recipient replies, as long as his login-name is the same. Once communication is established, the two parties may type simultaneously, with their output appearing in separate windows. Typing control-L '^L' will cause the screen to be reprinted, while your erase, kill, and word kill characters will behave normally. To exit, just type your interrupt character; talk then moves the cursor to the bottom of the screen and restores the terminal to its previous state. Permission to talk may be denied or granted by use of the mesg(1) command. At the outset talking is allowed. Certain commands, in particu- lar nroff(1) and pr(1), disallow messages in order to prevent messy output. FILES
/etc/hosts to find the recipient's machine /var/run/utmp to find the recipient's tty SEE ALSO
mail(1), mesg(1), who(1), write(1) BUGS
The version of talk(1) released with 4.3BSD uses a protocol that is incompatible with the protocol used in the version released with 4.2BSD. HISTORY
The talk command appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution June 6, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution