Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: user Id vs Password
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers user Id vs Password Post 7406 by Cerberus on Wednesday 26th of September 2001 03:00:46 AM
Old 09-26-2001
user Id vs Password

Hello out there in unix.com land. I am Cerberus and this is my first post. I am brand new to Unix and i have a quesiton for you all.

Relating to the Unix Password File Setup, what is:

User ID?
Password?

any insite comparing one to the other as far as specifics would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Cerberus

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't change password for a user

All, I am unable to change a password for the user called : poller I am logged in as root When I do the following command passwd poller New Password: Permission denied Whe i enter the new password, it gives the above error. When i log in as poller and then execute the command, then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

2. AIX

changing user password

I have 02 servers: - Linux RHEL AS 3 (server1) - AIX 5.2 (server2) Running the command rsh server2 passwd derje from the server1 to change derje user password on server2, give me this error: 3004-709 Error while changing the password for "derje" Can somebody help me ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayge
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password verification verify password of a user for only first 8 characters

Helo , I m using linux pam library for user and its password authentication. I m creating new user and giving its password.I m giving password of 10 characters.now when I login in as that newly created user its ask me $ su - ram Password: You are required to change your password immediately... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
12 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

root user and password

Hi Can anyone help me with a query? Is a password mandatory for the root user. I'm studying for Solaris SCSAS and one of the answers implies that it is not. I've googled but not getting much in the way of an answer. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmn0004676
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print user password

Hi everyone. I have root acces to an Ubuntu machine. This machine have several users so, being root, I can access to their account without knowing their password, simply usingsudo su userBut I need to know the password of a specific user, so in this situation, is there a technique to know what is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
3 Replies

6. Solaris

cant set password for user

hi everybody i cant set password for user (jam) i tried to #passwd jam enter newpasswd : after enter it showing passwd : cannot get default domain:internal yp server or client error i also check cat /etc/shadow file jam:*:LK*:........ user is locked ... and i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolboys
4 Replies

7. AIX

Removing the password of a user

Hi Experts, According to the manual if you want to remove the password for a user account the "password" field in /etc/security/passwd should be set to "*" So instead of this: password = 6BqaLx8FeI8os Should be set to this: password = * But when I run the following command in my AIX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: livehho
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to scp File from root user in one server to say crt user in another server and avoid password?

Can someone help in writing some script through which I can transfer file (scp) from root user in abc server to crt user in hfg server and can give the crt user password in script itself so that it doesn't prompt me every time for password (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moon1234
4 Replies

9. Linux

Not able to change user password

hi I am not able to change user password from root user. although it is saying updated successfully. but still I am not able to login direct to abc user. however I can login from root user by using su - abc # passwd abc Changing password for user abc. New password: BAD PASSWORD: it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
2 Replies
Password(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     Password(3pm)

NAME
DBIx::Password - Allows you to create a global password file for DB passwords SYNOPSIS
use DBIx::Password; my $dbh = DBIx::Password->connect($user); my $dbh = DBIx::Password->connect_cached($user); $dbh->getDriver; DBIx::Password::getDriver($user); DBIx::Password::checkVirtualUser($user); DBIx::Password::clearConfig(); DBIx::Password::readConfig("$ENV{HOME}/.my.secret.file"); DESCRIPTION
Don't you hate keeping track of database passwords and such throughout your scripts? How about the problem of changing those passwords on a mass scale? This module is one possible solution. It stores all your virtual users and data in /etc/dbix-password.conf. For each user you need to specify the database module to use, the database connect string, the username and the password. You will have to give a name to this virtual user. You can add as many as you like. I would recommend that if you are only using this with web applications that you change the final permissions on this package after it is installed in site_perl such that only the webserver can read it. A method called getDriver has been added so that you can determine what driver is being used (handy for working out database indepence issues). If you want to find out if the virtual user is valid, you can call the class method checkVirtualUser(). It returns true(1) if the username is valid, and zero if not. Once your are done you can use the connect method (or the connect_cache method) that comes with DBIx-Password and just specify one of the virtual users you defined while making the module. BTW I learned the bless hack that is used from Apache::DBI so some credit should go to the authors of that module. This is a rewrite of the module Tangent::DB that I did for slashcode. If your program does not need the system-wide information stored in the /etc/dbix-password.conf file, you may use the clearConfig() and readConfig() functions to get the data from another source. At any time, readConfig() may also be used to merge the data from another file into the currently-loaded configuration. Hope you enjoy it. HOME
To find out more information look at: http://www.tangent.org/DBIx-Password/ AUTHOR
Brian Aker, brian@tangent.org SEE ALSO
perl(1). DBI(3). perl v5.10.0 2009-05-09 Password(3pm)