Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cutting out the last field
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cutting out the last field Post 73972 by bcheaib on Tuesday 7th of June 2005 02:15:31 AM
Old 06-07-2005
cutting out the last field

Hi all;

i was asked to install an inventory tool on our Reliant Unix 5.45 server. I downloaded the file from our intratnet.
It was always failing when i try to install it.
After some investigation i saw that the installation script had something strange.
When i "cat <script>" i see nothing wrong.
When i "vī <script> " i see that each line of the script ends wiht ^M i guess this is a Carigage return....

I tried to use :
sed '/^M/d ' <script> >> <script1> and when i "vi <script1>" the problem is still there and i alway see ^M at the end of each line.

Can somebody tell me how can i remove this ^M ???

Thanks in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting Up a String

I have a file name coming in as such <string>_YYYYMMDD.DAT The string could be anything. I want to cut out the date and put it in a variable. Can someone help me with this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cutting

Is there any cut or awk function that would allow me to take the last part of a path away and save the list into a file? I wrote: find $HOME -mtime +3 > fileList cat fileList /home/102/s/jn/folder/HW /home/102/s/jn/otherfolder/B.txt /home/102/s/jn/folder4/3dA/w... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terms5
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem cutting

echo $line|cut -d " " -f`$plannedCount`- and this is the output $ ./read.sh ./read.sh: 12: not found JADE TRADER 143W MYPEN 40 HC M X10 28 7 1 0 ./read.sh: 9: not found MYPEN 20 GP X X10 15 2 1 0 ./read.sh: 9: not found MYPEN 40 GP X X10 28 7 1 0 ./read.sh: 9: not found MYPEN 20... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help in Cutting a word

Hi All , i am working on a backup script , which would a call a executable file in unix server , Login credentials :: use telnet session to login to Unix server when logged in, this would be my Prompt ::: unix11@raghav: I just need to cut the word unix11 , so that i can use this... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav1982
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting lines

Dear All, Is there a way to cut the lines that have been "head" Here is what i m trying to do Please advice there is file name dummy.txt now i am trying to head this file 4 time by using a loop and every time this file is head with different values e.g in first instance it will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting the value from a string

Hi all I have a string variable ${WHERE_SQL1} where i want to cut the first value of a variable. Eg ${WHERE_SQL1} = 'Where a.id =.................' I the string to be 'a.id =.......' Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theeights
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with cutting a string

Hi All, I have a string in the following format "abcd | fghfh | qwer | ertete" I need to cut the values in the following format line1 = abcd | fghfh | qwer line2 = ertete Simply speaking a want to cut all the values before the last delimiter from the line and print it on one line and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_kv1983
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting field

Hi, I have a var sdt='23032011000000' now if i want only 23 out of above? hw to cut? also..after cuttint-will it be stored in another var as a varchar or as a number? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: musu
4 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)