Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Pattern searching inside Variable - not looking at files Post 73940 by vgersh99 on Monday 6th of June 2005 05:07:28 PM
Old 06-06-2005
no input validation - taking the set assumptions

red.sh Q0105
red.sh Q0305

red.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

typeset -Z2 year=$(echo $1 | sed 's/^.*\(..\)$/\1/')
typeset -i quat=$(echo $1 | sed 's/^Q\(..\).*$/\1/')

typeset -Z2 mon

for i in 1 2 3
do
   mon="$(( i + (quat - 1) * 3 ))"
   eval m${i}="M${mon}${year}"
done

echo "m1->[${m1}]"
echo "m2->[${m2}]"
echo "m3->[${m3}]"

which can be simplified a bit further given ksh-nature of the script - left as an exercise.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern searching pattern in c files

I have a problem in searching a specific pattern in c files. My requirement: I have to find all the division operator in all cfiles. The problem is, the multi line comments and single line comments will also have forward slash in it. Even after avoiding these comments also, if both... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murthybptl
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for files with certain string pattern

Hello All I would like to search for files containing certain string pattern under all the directories under /vobs/vobname and print the output to a file in my home directory. How can I do this? Note: /vobs/vobname conatins several directories. Thank You in advance newbetounix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: intrigue
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching files inside directory

hey, i need to use grep to search a bunch of header files inside a directory to return which file i can find the function i'm searching for in. how do i use wild cards to search through the files? i can only figure out how to search inside the directory, not inside the files that are in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylethesir
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching all files that contain pattern

Hello All, i have to search a pattern in all the files in all subfolders that are present in current directory. suppose i am in d1 directory and in that sd1,sd2,sd3 are subdirectories. in sd1 i have files f1,f2 sd2 i have files f3,f4 sd3 i have file f5 i have to list out all those... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in sed command ( Replacing a pattern inside a file with a variable value )

Hello, The following sed command is giving error sed: -e expression #1, char 13: unknown option to `s' The sed command is echo "//-----" | sed "s/\/\/---*/$parChk/g" where parChk="//---ee-" How can i print the variable value from sed command ? And is it possible to replace a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching across multiple files if pattern is available in all files searched

I have a list of pattern in a file, I want each of these pattern been searched from 4 files. I was wondering this can be done in SED / AWK. say my 4 files to be searched are > cat f1 abc/x(12) 1 abc/x 3 cde 2 zzz 3 fdf 4 > cat f2 fdf 4 cde 3 abc 2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice_man
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a string in .PDF files inside .RAR & .ZIP archives.

Hi, I have got a large number of .PDF files that are archived in .RAR & ZIP files in various directories and I would like to search for strings inside the PDF files. I would think you would need something that can recursively read directories, extract the .RAR/.ZIP file in memory, read the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a particular string pattern in 10000 files

Problem Statement:- I need to search a particular `String Pattern` in around `10000 files` and find the records which contains that `particular pattern`. I can use `grep` here, but it is taking lots of time. Below is the command I am using to search a `particular string pattern` after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raihan26
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching a pattern in .gz files

in a directory, I have some files(comma seperated) and some .gz files (each .gz file contain one file which again is comma seperated). I want to search and write the names of all those files which contain any particular value (say 1150) at any specified field position(say 10th field). How di I do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kumar Jivi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for pattern in variable using case statements

i would like to search a variable for a pattern, without having make any calls to external tools. i have a code like this: COUNTPRO2="gine is very bad vine is pretty good" case "${COUNTPRO2}" in *vine*) factor=${COUNTPRO2} echo $factor ;; esac If the variable contains... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)