Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Raw text to IP Printer
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Raw text to IP Printer Post 73919 by jeffbugfree on Monday 6th of June 2005 01:11:02 PM
Old 06-06-2005
Raw text to IP Printer

We were printing to a serial laser printer with all the HP codes to generate a form (i.e. lines, boxes, etc.) We are switching to an IP printer and we can no longer print to the device (i.e. cp text /dev/tty11). It looks like we have to use the lp spooler now. When we do this the codes are ignored as the line is too long. Is there away to send raw text to an IP printer that is using the Jet Direct card to setup the queues? I saw an stty option on the lp command, can that be used to put it in raw mode?

Thanx for your help
Jeff

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing 5 raw characters to a printer

Hi there, I want to open a cash drawer remotely. The cash drawer is commanded by a printer. I need to connect to the cash drawer which is connected over a network (and shared) and simply send a sequence of five ASCII commands (see http://pages.prodigy.net/daleharris/popopen2.htm) to a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Friğrik
5 Replies

2. AIX

Check printer queue on Windows printer server

Hello Let me first give a small overview of the setup. All printers are connected to Windows 2000 servers. There are a lot of UNIX (AIX & HP-UX) servers as well which have SAP running. I'm working on a script to add printers to a specified SAP instance. I want to verify the user input (to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NielsV
0 Replies

3. Linux

Find printer location and printer type

Hi, Is it possible to find the printer location and printer type (whether it is local or network) using command in Linux ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forumguest
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print formatted text to the printer

Hello!!! I am using shell script that print some formated text on the screen (example) ======== hello I am ... ======== Is it possible to print this information to the printer exactly as I see it on the screen??? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdev457
6 Replies

5. Programming

CGI script is returning raw text instead of getting processes

I am not a CGI/Unix expert. I was installing Cognos and as part of it we have the gateway which uses the cgi-bin The application was working fine untill the server is recreated with taking backup from the old server. so for testing I created a sample cgi file as test.cgi created at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: golden83
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re-aligned text file into one raw

Hi, Anyone can help on how to re-aligned the data into one raw; Input Text File: TESTA Carbon A China 06/28/2016 Active Vol. 8210, No. 2048, New Era 02/25/2010 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fspalero
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert FF (feed form) in text file so that when printing the printer print on a new page accordingly

Hello. First happy new year to everybody. I have a script that generate a text file ( /tmp/part_list.txt for example ). This file can be edited using a kde graphical text editor like kate or kwrite The file can be printed out from command line or within the text editor using the print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
5 Replies
LP(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     LP(1)

NAME
lp -- front-end to the print spooler SYNOPSIS
lp [-cs] [-o option] [-d printer] [-n num] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
lp is a front-end to the print spooler as required by the IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') specification. It effectively invokes lpr(1) with the proper set of arguments. It generally prints the named files on the destination printer. The following options are available: -c Make the lp command exit only after further access to any of the input files is no longer required. The application can then safely delete or modify the files without affecting the output operation. -d dest Specify a particular printer. If no -d is provided on the command line, the contents of the environment variables LPDEST or PRINTER (with this precedence) are taken as the destination printer. -n num Specify that num copies of each of the named files shall be printed. -s Silent operation. -o Printer specific options. Not supported, provided only as a compatibility option for SVR4. ENVIRONMENT
As described above, the variables LPDEST and PRINTER are examined to select the destination printer. SEE ALSO
lpr(1) STANDARDS
The lp command is expected to comply with the IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') specification. AUTHORS
This implementation of the lp command has been written by Jorg Wunsch. BUGS
The IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') specification does not provide any means to print non-text files. It rather requires the files to be printed to be text files limited to reasonable line lengths and printable characters. BSD
January 22, 1995 BSD