Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux /etc/passwd strange behaviour! Post 73903 by penguin-friend on Monday 6th of June 2005 12:00:06 PM
Old 06-06-2005
/etc/passwd strange behaviour!

Hi there,

first of all, here is my conf of a uname -a
Linux SAMBA 2.4.18-4GB #1 Wed Mar 27 13:57:05 UTC 2002 i686 unknown
on a fedora machine.

Here is my problem: every once in a while, the line containing root disappears in the /etc/passwd, disabling all logging on my server. Any one have any ideas?
As you can see in the uname, it's a samba server! Smilie

Thanx

I just found out in the /var/log/messages:
Jun 2 14:50:03 SAMBA smbd[1607]: [2005/06/02 14:50:03, 0] rpc_client/cli_netlogon.c:cli_net_sam_logon_internal(406)
Jun 2 14:50:03 SAMBA smbd[1607]: cli_net_sam_logon_internal: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER
Jun 2 14:50:03 SAMBA smbd[1607]: [2005/06/02 14:50:03, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1572)
Jun 2 14:50:03 SAMBA smbd[1607]: domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user ROOT in domain WORKGROUP to Domain controller atr_2. Error
was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER.
Jun 2 14:50:03 SAMBA userdel[1608]: delete user `root'
Jun 2 14:50:03 SAMBA userdel[1608]: delete `root' from shadow group `sirepa'

How can this be?

Last edited by penguin-friend; 06-06-2005 at 01:14 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Strange Behaviour!!!

Can some-one give me a view to this : I have a directory in an unix server, having permissions r-xr-xr-x .This directory is basically a source directory. Now there is another directory basically the destination directory which has all the permissions. Note:I log in as not the owner,but user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange sed behaviour

$ echo a.bc | sed -e "s/\|/\\|/g" |a|.|b|c| $ Is the behavior of the sed statement expected ? Or is this a bug in sed ? OS details Linux 2.6.9-55.0.0.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed May 2 14:59:56 PDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Program behaviour

Had a strange thing going on with my code. It's ok I figured it out for myself.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange behaviour from sed???

Hi all, I want to do a very simple thing with sed. I want to print out the line number of a disk I have defined in /etc/exports, so I do: It's all good, but here's the problem. When I define md0 in a variable, I get nothing from sed: Why is that? can anybody please help? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour with perl i/o?

Hi All, I got a strange problem here. I have a perl script which is fetching data from a database table and writing a file with that data. If i run that script from linux command line, the file it creates is a normal ascii text file without any binary character in it.But... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
9 Replies

6. HP-UX

Strange login behaviour

Hi all, I am using HP-UX and I have just noticed that when I log into the network it seems to save the previous windows that were subsequently closed on previous occasions. Does anyone know when I log in, it seems to display these previous windows, e.g. nedit windows open again? Does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange RegExp Behaviour

Hello, I was trying to identify lines who has a word of the following pattern "xyyx" (where x, and ys are different characters). I was trying the following grep - egrep '(\S)()\2\1' This pattern do catches the wanted pattern, but it also catches "GGGG" or "CCCC" patterns. I was trying to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itskov
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Crontab strange behaviour

Hi all, I'm having this scenario which for the moment I cannot resolve. :( I wrote a script to make a dump/export of the oracle database. and then put this entry on crontab to be executed daily for example. The script is like below: cat /home/oracle/scripts/db_backup.sh #!/bin/ksh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enux
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour on my Linux Server.

Hi, I keep getting this error when i run my script: No matter how many times i run this rm -rf /siebel/sfs/tmp/dump it succeeds when i expect it only the first time to succeed becoz i expect the second to fail as the directory should be gone in the first run. i had earlier mentioned... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
cupsaddsmb(8)							    Apple Inc.							     cupsaddsmb(8)

NAME
cupsaddsmb - export printers to samba for windows clients SYNOPSIS
cupsaddsmb [ -H samba-server ] [ -U samba-user[%samba-password] ] [ -h cups-server[:port] ] [ -v ] -a cupsaddsmb [ -H samba-server ] [ -U samba-user[%samba-password] ] [ -h cups-server[:port] ] [ -v ] printer [ ... printer ] DESCRIPTION
cupsaddsmb exports printers to the SAMBA software (version 2.2.0 or higher) for use with Windows clients. Depending on the SAMBA configura- tion, you may need to provide a password to export the printers. This program requires the Windows printer driver files described below. OPTIONS
cupsaddsmb supports the following options: -H samba-server Specifies the SAMBA server which defaults to the CUPS server. -U samba-user[%samba-password] Specifies the SAMBA print admin username which defaults to your current username. If the username contains a percent (%) character, then the text following the percent is treated as the SAMBA password to use. -a Exports all known printers. Otherwise only the named printers are exported. -h cups-server[:port] Specifies a different CUPS server to use. -v Specifies that verbose information should be shown. This is useful for debugging SAMBA configuration problems. SAMBA CONFIGURATION
cupsaddsmb uses the new RPC-based printing support in SAMBA 2.2.x to provide printer drivers and PPD files to Windows client machines. In order to use this functionality, you must first configure the SAMBA smb.conf(5) file to support printing through CUPS and provide a printer driver download share, as follows: [global] load printers = yes printing = cups printcap name = cups [printers] comment = All Printers path = /var/spool/samba browseable = no public = yes guest ok = yes writable = no printable = yes [print$] comment = Printer Drivers path = /etc/samba/drivers browseable = yes guest ok = no read only = yes write list = root This configuration assumes a FHS-compliant installation of SAMBA; adjust the [printers] and [print$] share paths accordingly on your system as needed. MICROSOFT POSTSCRIPT DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS
The base driver for Windows 2000 and higher is the Microsoft PostScript driver, which is available on any system running Windows 2000 or higher in the %WINDIR%SYSTEM32SPOOLDRIVERSW32X863 folder for 32-bit drivers and %WINDIR%SYSTEM32SPOOLDRIVERSX643 folder for 64-bit drivers. The CUPS printer driver is preferred over the Microsoft driver since it supports the page-label, job-billing, and job-hold-until options fully on all printers. However, currently only Windows 2000 and higher is supported by the Microsoft driver, so you will also need to get the Adobe driver to support Windows 95, 98, and Me clients. The Adobe and Microsoft drivers for Windows 2000 are identical. Once you have extracted the driver files, copy the 32-bit drivers to the /usr/share/cups/drivers directory and the 64-bit drivers to the /usr/share/cups/drivers/x64 directory exactly as named below: [Windows 2000 and higher] ps5ui.dll pscript.hlp pscript.ntf pscript5.dll Note: Unlike Windows, case is significant - make sure that you use the lowercase filenames shown above, otherwise cupsaddsmb will fail to export the drivers. CUPS POSTSCRIPT DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS
cupsaddsmb can use the CUPS v6 PostScript printer driver for Windows, which is available for download from the CUPS web site. The CUPS printer driver is preferred over the Adobe and Microsoft drivers since it supports the page-label, job-billing, and job-hold-until options fully on all printers. However, currently only Windows 2000 and higher is supported by the CUPS driver, so you will also need to get the Adobe driver to support Windows 95, 98, and Me clients. Once you have extracted the driver files, copy the 32-bit drivers to the /usr/share/cups/drivers directory and the 64-bit drivers to the /usr/share/cups/drivers/x64 directory exactly as named below: [Windows 2000 and higher] cups6.inf (from www.cups.org) cups6.ini (from www.cups.org) cupsps6.dll (from www.cups.org) cupsui6.dll (from www.cups.org) ps5ui.dll (from your Windows system) pscript.hlp (from your Windows system) pscript.ntf (from your Windows system) pscript5.dll (from your Windows system) Note: Unlike Windows, case is significant - make sure that you use the lowercase filenames shown above, otherwise cupsaddsmb will fail to export the drivers. ADOBE POSTSCRIPT DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS 95, 98, AND ME cupsaddsmb can use the Adobe PostScript printer driver for Windows 95, 98, and ME, which are available for download from the Adobe web site (http://www.adobe.com). The Adobe driver does not support the page-label, job-billing, or job-hold-until options. Once you have installed the driver on a Windows system, copy the following files to the /usr/share/cups/drivers directory exactly as named below: [Windows 95, 98, and Me] ADFONTS.MFM ADOBEPS4.DRV ADOBEPS4.HLP ICONLIB.DLL PSMON.DLL Note: Unlike Windows, case is significant - make sure that you use the UPPERCASE filenames shown above, otherwise cupsaddsmb will fail to export the drivers. KNOWN ISSUES
Getting the full set of Windows driver files should be easier. SEE ALSO
smbd(8), smb.conf(5), http://localhost:631/help http://www.cups.org/windows/ COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2011 by Apple Inc. 25 July 2007 CUPS cupsaddsmb(8)