Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers inetd problems?!?!?! - Help complete newbee!!! Post 739 by d_cottam on Sunday 14th of January 2001 08:06:26 PM
Old 01-14-2001
Question Still Stuck...

Alright, I've edited the hosts file in /etc and the computer is now visible on the network at startup Smilie

Unfortunately I'm still getting the following errors:

At startup:

The system is coming up...
sylog service starting
sylogd: line 23: WARNING: loghost could not be resolved
The system is ready

After the login prompt appears the inetd error messages start up again:

inetd [102]: 100232/rpc/udp version 10: rpcb_set: not started

I don't think the loghost is too much of a problem but I'm worried about the inetd problems as there is a service that should be running (ExtraWEB) that I should be able to connect to via a admin tool on my PC but it is unable to find it... any ideas what could be causing them and how to fix it?

On a side note there was originally no keyboard or monitor plugged into the box but if I try to disconnect the keyboard now it beeps and says: Type 'go' to resume and dissapears from the network until a keyboard is plugged back in and 'go' is typed in... Any ideas how to get it back to the original state?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbee - copy data from UNIX to Linux

I have to setup a new server (linux) and I have to copy the data from the old unix system to the new one. Can I access the unix data in dos? Please help. I know little about linux and unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: steven5046
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

refreshing inetd

Hi I have a question, what is the purpose of this command and what will it do "refresh -s inetd" Thanks in Advance Swaraj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kswaraj
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Newbee :-)

Hi , i have jus started learning basics of unix .I have few queries : 1) what is meant by unix box server? 2) what is the difference between unix and linux (is it jus x-windows graphical system or is there anything more than that?) 3) Can i get any free download of unix so that i cud... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekshankar
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbee Needs Help - Time comparison

I am very new to Unix so please bear with me! I am trying to write a script that will compare file creation time with the current time so I can be notified if a file is more than an hour old. Can anybody point me in the right direction on this??? Thank you in advance for any help!!! It is GREATLY... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: danedder
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbee lost in unix land

I am writing a shell script and I am calling wc -l. I need to assign the results of this call to a varaible and it's not working the way I think it should: xx= wc -l $1 What am I doing wrong? Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dortoh
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH complete-filename & menu-complete together

Hi, Does anyone know how to make BASH provide a list of possible completions on the first tab, and then start cycling through the possibilites on the next tab? Right now this is what I have in my .bashrc: bind "set show-all-if-ambiguous on" bind \\C-o:menu-complete This allows... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mithu
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

too many inetd running

hi, is it ok for more than one inetd daemon running at a time? if not okay, possible to kill the rest and make only one daemon running? i understand that inetd is a process that enables tcp connections from external sources...kindly advise more on inetd...thanks alot..Happy New Year!:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Inetd problem

Hi All, When i am trying to restart the inetd daemon it throughing error. Please find the message and tell me what i need to do ? Apr 7 22:57:37 HYDOHS01 inetd: ISTATE not in environment Apr 7 22:57:41 HYDOHS01 inetd: stop: No such file or directory Apr 7 22:58:01 HYDOHS01 inetd: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbreddy
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

Simple Newbee question

Hi HP-UX users. If you can help with the following I would be grateful. I am starting off on my HP-UX learning/certification path and need to acquire an HP-UX machine. I would prefer HP hardware, ie. PA-RISC and see that there are many for sale on eBay, etc., and was hoping someone on this forum... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patcom
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed - Newbee here

I am very new to shell scripting. please help me in this scenario. when we run the script, It should ask user to enter the input (for example, ticket number like below) B1234567 B2345678 C1245782 . 2. Once user enter the input or,paste the input, the script should check each and every... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Padmanabhan
1 Replies
BACKUP_APROPOS(8)					       AFS Command Reference						 BACKUP_APROPOS(8)

NAME
backup_apropos - Displays each help entry containing a keyword string SYNOPSIS
backup apropos -topic <help string> [-help] backup ap -t <help string> [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup apropos command displays the first line of the online help entry for any backup command that has in its name or short description the string specified by the -topic argument. To display the syntax for a command, use the backup help command. OPTIONS
-topic <help string> Specifies the keyword string to match, in lowercase letters only. If the string is more than a single word, surround it with double quotes (" ") or other delimiters. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The first line of a command's online help entry names it and briefly describes its function. This command displays the first line for any backup command where the string specified with the -topic argument is part of the command name or first line. EXAMPLES
The following example lists all backup commands that include the word "tape" in their names or short descriptions: % backup apropos tape labeltape: label a tape readlabel: read the label on tape scantape: dump information recovery from tape status: get tape coordinator status PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_help(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_APROPOS(8)