Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tty problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tty problem Post 73844 by stortignauz on Monday 6th of June 2005 03:54:30 AM
Old 06-06-2005
tty problem

Dear all,
when I do a remote shell command from a FUJITSU Unix to an HP-UX,
I always get this:

Code:
15:36:35 + rsh -l storto obs2  sh /users/obs/storto/MESO-NH/tmp_olive_map_00CC/job_prepex_70JY_C00CC_20041103_19 
Not a terminal
stty: : Erreur inconnue
	2	2	2	2	2	2	2	2	2	2	2	2	2	2	2	2	2	2	2	2

but no problem when I login on the remote machine and type the same command.
If I do a rsh ... "tty" I receive
Code:
not a tty

while a tty directly on the remote machine give:
Code:
/dev/ttyq5

while a rsh ... "stty":
Code:

and directly on the remote machine :
Code:
speed 9600 baud; evenp hupcl
intr = ^C; erase = ^H; kill = ^U;
eol2 = ^@; swtch = ^@;
susp = ^Z; dsusp = ^Y;
werase = ^@; lnext = ^V;
-inpck -istrip icrnl -ixany ixoff onlcr
-iexten echo echoe echok
-echoctl -echoke

I tried loading profile files at the beginning of the rsh command,
and changing some option regarding stty, but it does not work and I'm not able to solve the problem, and it's important for the execution of a shell script
from a remote calculator.
Thank you in advance,

Andrea

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

TTY programming

Hi gurus, Need help to code some tools dealing with all the tty thingies, raw mode etc .... Can you juss point me to some cool links related to tty programming, i've tried google but found none so far :confused: Thanks all. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
2 Replies

2. AIX

tty

Hi All can anyone tell me what is the meaning of tty,or give me an example of this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magasem
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pts and tty

hi iam very new to linux can anyone tell me about pts and tty acctually today morning i logged into my pc at 9:51 when i have given #who it has given sam tty7 9:51 sam pts/1 10:11 so what does it mean (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praneel2k
1 Replies

4. Linux

tty terminal permissions problem

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm having a problem on my Red Hat Enterprise 5 Server where my tty devices "tty" are being set to read only permissions. I need them to be set to 777 in order to write to the serial printers through a custome application. I have gone through many... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Netwrkengeer
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does this TTY info mean?

When I do a who command I get the following: mohit :0 2009-04-07 14:07 mohit pts/0 2009-04-07 17:25 (:0.0) mohit pts/1 2009-04-09 12:07 (:0.0) mohit pts/2 2009-04-16 11:38 (:0.0) mohit pts/3 2009-04-16 16:09 (:0.0) mohit pts/4 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

6. Linux

Killing the tty

It's happened multiple times and I can't figure out why it's happening or how to undo it, but hitting CTRL-S seems to disable the given TTY on 'nixes of various flavors. Killing the pid doesn't bring the tty back, I end up having to use other tty's until I reboot. Anyone got some information for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tty changes?

I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology but somehow my tty keeps changing on me. The man pages are confusing to me on what exactly the tty is. This is what I see when I run the tty command. Could anyone explain why my tty keeps changing? ~ $ tty /dev/pts/1 ~ $ tty /dev/pts/0 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

9. SCO

Tty port

Is there an easy to see which /dev/tty a printer is on on SCO Unix 3.2.4.2? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steveo314
1 Replies
rsh(1c) 																   rsh(1c)

Name
       rsh - remote shell

Syntax
       rsh host [-l username] [-n] command
       host [-l username] [-n] command

Description
       The  command  connects to the specified host, and executes the specified command.  The command copies its standard input to the remote com-
       mand, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error.
       Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command.  The command normally terminates when the remote command does.

The  remote  username  used is the same as your local username, unless you specify a different remote name with the -l option.  This remote
       name must be equivalent, in the sense of to the originating account.  No provision is made for specifying a password with a command.

If you omit command, then instead of executing a single command, you are logged in on the remote host using

Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted  metacharacters  are  interpreted  on  the  remote
       machine.  Thus the command

rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile

appends the remote file remotefile to the localfile localfile, while

rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" otherremotefile

appends remotefile to otherremotefile.

Host  names are given in the file Each host has one standard name (the first name given in the file), which is rather long and unambiguous,
       and optionally one or more nicknames.  The host names for local machines are also commands in the directory If you put  this  directory	in
       your search path then the can be omitted.

Options
       -l username	   Logs you in as the specified user, not as your user login name.

-n		   Redirects all command input to

Restrictions
       The  command  is  confused by output generated by commands in a .cshrc file on the remote host.	In particular, `where are you?' and `stty:
       Can't assign requested address' are messages which can result if output is generated by the startup file.

If you are using and put a in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it blocks even if no reads are posted by
       the remote command.  If no input is desired you should redirect the input of to using the -n option.

You cannot run an interactive command like Use

Stop signals stop the local process only.

Files
       /etc/hosts
       /usr/hosts/*

See Also
       rlogin(1c)

rsh(1c)