Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Secondary DNS question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Secondary DNS question Post 7384 by 98_1LE on Tuesday 25th of September 2001 03:54:24 PM
Old 09-25-2001
Maybe I wasn't clear. Actually it can resolve hostnames, but not cannot perform lookups for other hosts

Code:
sun038041:/home/chuckb > nslookup host1 
Server:  sun038040
Address:  10.26.38.40

Name:    host1 
Address:  10.26.30.11

sun038041:/home/chuckb > nslookup host1 10.26.38.41
*** Can't find server name for address 10.26.38.41: Non-existent host/domain
*** Default servers are not available
sun038041:/home/chuckb >

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

DNS question

I manage the mail server (mail.ourcompany.com) at my company. We provide mail services to a number of clients. Today CompanyA calls in and reports that CompanyB tried to send them an email, but they never recieved it. According to CompanyB, the mail left there outbox. The two addresses... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phaze1
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

DNS question

The company I work for has me setting up a bind server, this part I am having no issues with my question is we host 2 web-sites on one box using virtual domains in apache. The CEO of the company want it so that he can type this in http://*****.com http://*****.net Instead of ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Acleoma
7 Replies

3. IP Networking

Question on DNS/BIND

I have set up a BIND server running on Redhat AS 3.0 and the question I have is that I can point my laptop to that server and resolve all the hosts I have put in my .zone file but for the life of me I can resolve any outside information. I have verified the server can talk to the world. Any hints... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Acleoma
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS Question

I am new to bind, but I have it installed and working, well I think. I am not getting any errors, but my question is. Lets say I have movie.com, and mov.com, with the same in-addr-arpa zone(10.10.0.0) Is this a problem? movie.com is our main zone and we are trying to get rid of clients that are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickyt00
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named (DNS Name Server) question

As suggested by the forum I'm posting in, I'm very new at this, so bear with me please. I'm using a Virtual Dedicated server (Linux) from GoDaddy and using Simple Control Panel. A few days ago, the sites running off of it stopped working, and I did manage to troubleshoot it to some extent where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KevenM
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Secondary DNS not working

hi guys I am doing some testing for DNS I got a master DNS(192.168.2.10) and I setup a slave DNS(192.168.2.11) but when I shutdown the Master DNS my linux client cannot resolve using the slave any idea way? This is the named.conf options { query-source port 53; directory... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS Question

I am trying to make a website work without having to type www. If I type www with the sitename it works. But if I type just the site name without the www, it does not work. How do I fix this? Thank you for your help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: German Shepherd
3 Replies

8. Solaris

DNS Primary and Secondary

hi there, i using salaris 10 as my DNS server. i have 2 dns server primary and secondary. if primary dns server i edit/update, the other secondary dns server must be sync too. How can i configure if dns server (primary) can sync the secondary? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tappetmus
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

DNS SOA Question in regards to @

Okay, I have a question guys... I was given a task to set up a DNS slave server, in addition to our already set up BIND DNS master server. I looked over the one of the zone files, and found something curious. The starting SOA line, reads as: @ IN SOA @ root ( ...etc...etc..) I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
1 Replies

10. IP Networking

DNS dummy question

Hello everyone, I have a some doubt about DNS. We have connected to 2 ISPs /ISP#1 and ISP#2/. Our web site's dns zone is located on ISP#1. If connection to ISP#1 is down clients won't find our website. ISP#1 connection went down few times this month. So we are going to create our website's... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
0 Replies
NSLOOKUP(1)							       BIND9							       NSLOOKUP(1)

NAME
nslookup - query Internet name servers interactively SYNOPSIS
nslookup [-option] [name | -] [server] DESCRIPTION
Nslookup is a program to query Internet domain name servers. Nslookup has two modes: interactive and non-interactive. Interactive mode allows the user to query name servers for information about various hosts and domains or to print a list of hosts in a domain. Non-interactive mode is used to print just the name and requested information for a host or domain. ARGUMENTS
Interactive mode is entered in the following cases: 1. when no arguments are given (the default name server will be used) 2. when the first argument is a hyphen (-) and the second argument is the host name or Internet address of a name server. Non-interactive mode is used when the name or Internet address of the host to be looked up is given as the first argument. The optional second argument specifies the host name or address of a name server. Options can also be specified on the command line if they precede the arguments and are prefixed with a hyphen. For example, to change the default query type to host information, and the initial timeout to 10 seconds, type: nslookup -query=hinfo -timeout=10 The -version option causes nslookup to print the version number and immediately exits. INTERACTIVE COMMANDS
host [server] Look up information for host using the current default server or using server, if specified. If host is an Internet address and the query type is A or PTR, the name of the host is returned. If host is a name and does not have a trailing period, the search list is used to qualify the name. To look up a host not in the current domain, append a period to the name. server domain lserver domain Change the default server to domain; lserver uses the initial server to look up information about domain, while server uses the current default server. If an authoritative answer can't be found, the names of servers that might have the answer are returned. root not implemented finger not implemented ls not implemented view not implemented help not implemented ? not implemented exit Exits the program. set keyword[=value] This command is used to change state information that affects the lookups. Valid keywords are: all Prints the current values of the frequently used options to set. Information about the current default server and host is also printed. class=value Change the query class to one of: IN the Internet class CH the Chaos class HS the Hesiod class ANY wildcard The class specifies the protocol group of the information. (Default = IN; abbreviation = cl) [no]debug Turn on or off the display of the full response packet and any intermediate response packets when searching. (Default = nodebug; abbreviation = [no]deb) [no]d2 Turn debugging mode on or off. This displays more about what nslookup is doing. (Default = nod2) domain=name Sets the search list to name. [no]search If the lookup request contains at least one period but doesn't end with a trailing period, append the domain names in the domain search list to the request until an answer is received. (Default = search) port=value Change the default TCP/UDP name server port to value. (Default = 53; abbreviation = po) querytype=value type=value Change the type of the information query. (Default = A; abbreviations = q, ty) [no]recurse Tell the name server to query other servers if it does not have the information. (Default = recurse; abbreviation = [no]rec) ndots=number Set the number of dots (label separators) in a domain that will disable searching. Absolute names always stop searching. retry=number Set the number of retries to number. timeout=number Change the initial timeout interval for waiting for a reply to number seconds. [no]vc Always use a virtual circuit when sending requests to the server. (Default = novc) [no]fail Try the next nameserver if a nameserver responds with SERVFAIL or a referral (nofail) or terminate query (fail) on such a response. (Default = nofail) RETURN VALUES
nslookup returns with an exit status of 1 if any query failed, and 0 otherwise. FILES
/etc/resolv.conf SEE ALSO
dig(1), host(1), named(8). AUTHOR
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004-2007, 2010, 2013-2017 Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. ("ISC") ISC
2014-01-24 NSLOOKUP(1)