Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A find and sort challenge...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A find and sort challenge... Post 73833 by kduffin on Monday 6th of June 2005 01:38:04 AM
Old 06-06-2005
This works, though I'm sure there are more graceful solutions out there:
Code:
find . -mtime -100 -type f | tr '\012' ' ' > /tmp/ick && ls -lt < /tmp/ick

Cheers,

Keith

Last edited by kduffin; 06-06-2005 at 02:48 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort find results

Hi-- Ok. I have now found that: find -x -ls will do what I need as far as finding all files on a particular volume. Now I need to sort the results by the file's modification date/time. Is there a way to do that? Also, I notice that for many files, whereas the man for find says ls is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: groundlevel
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl find::file can I sort the out put

Perl file::find can I sort the out put I am using file::find in my script but how I wish to process each file found in date order. Can I sort this module? eg part of current script is.... use File::Find; # Recursively find all files and directories in $mqueue_directory find(\&wanted,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrek
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command sort options?

Hi - are there sort options with the find command? I don't see any in man. I have a script that is looping through a set a files to be processed and I need to process them in date timestamp order. tia for file in `find ${LANDING_FILE_DIR}${BTIME_FILENAME_PATTERN1}` do.... ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavsman
6 Replies

4. Linux

System wide find and sort

Hi, I need to look for a config file (ldap.conf) and pick the latest modified file. `locate` tells me there are many ldap.conf's, some in /etc, /usr, /home, etc. Is there some way I can sort them by last modified time via bash? I was thinking maybe I could pipe the output of `locate` to `ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Housni
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with sort

HI Find command is sorting differently in different machines. I am trying a script to find file with -name option and delete the files other and keep the latest. the problem I am facing is in one machine find command is returning output sorted with oldest first and latest . But in another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ningy
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort find results

Hi, I have a problem with a shell script. The script should find all .cpp and .h files and list them. With: for file in `find $src -name '*.h' -o -name '*.cpp' it gives out this: H:\FileList\A\E\F\G\newCppFile.cpp H:\FileList\header01.h H:\FileList\B\nextCppFile.cpp ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellBeginner75
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and sort by first column value

Hi, I have two text files file 1 with N lines AAAAA 2.092290E-12 BBBBB 1.727740E-07 CCCCC 9.608710E-17 DDDDD 0.000000E+00 EEEEE 0.000000E+00 FFFFF 0.000000E+00 GGGGG 0.000000E+00 HHHHH 0.000000E+00 IIIII 3.300320E-04 ... The text in the first column is unique for each row and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files and sort by timestamp

Used below command to get list of files sorted by timestamp find -L . -type f -name '*dat*' | xargs ls -ltrg I want to get only the filenames so I tried adding basename but it doenst work , can some one advise on how to get only file name (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Linux find jpg and sort by date

I want to find all jpg files and then sort them by modification date. This is where I started. find . -type f -name "*.jpg" I tried to pipe a sort in there but that did not seem to work. Do I need to use xargs? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
10 Replies
sortbib(1)						      General Commands Manual							sortbib(1)

Name
       sortbib - sort bibliographic database

Syntax
       sortbib [-sKEYS] database...

Description
       The  command sorts files of records containing refer key-letters by user-specified keys.  Records may be separated by blank lines, or by .[
       and .] delimiters, but the two styles may not be mixed together.  This program reads through each database and pulls out key fields,  which
       are  sorted  separately.   The sorted key fields contain the file pointer, byte offset, and length of corresponding records.  These records
       are delivered using disk seeks and reads, so may not be used in a pipeline to read standard input.

By default, alphabetizes by the first %A and the %D fields, which contain the senior author and date.  The -s option is used to specify new
       KEYS.  For instance, -sATD will sort by author, title, and date, while -sA+D will sort by all authors, and date.  Sort keys past the fourth
       are not meaningful.  No more than 16 databases may be sorted together at one time.  Records longer than 4096 characters will be truncated.

The command sorts on the last word on the %A line, which is assumed to be the author's last name.  A word in the final  position,  such	as
       ``jr.''	or  ``ed.'',  will be ignored if the name beforehand ends with a comma.  Authors with two-word last names or unusual constructions
       can be sorted correctly by using the convention ``'' in place of a blank.  A %Q field is considered to be the same as %A, except  sorting
       begins  with  the first, not the last, word.  The command sorts on the last word of the %D line, usually the year.  It also ignores leading
       articles (like ``A'' or ``The'') when sorting by titles in the %T or %J fields; it will ignore articles of any  modern  European  language.
       If a sort-significant field is absent from a record, places that record before other records containing that field.

Options
       -sKEYS
	  Specifies new sort KEYS.  For example, ATD sorts by author, title, and date.

See Also
       addbib(1), indxbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1)

sortbib(1)