Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dual Solaris On same Disk
Operating Systems Solaris Dual Solaris On same Disk Post 73698 by RTM on Friday 3rd of June 2005 10:39:34 AM
Old 06-03-2005
From Sunsolve:
This is an example of how to install three Solaris releases on one disk;
you may want to change the order and Solaris versions.

1. First (Solaris 9) install:

Partition the slices as follow for a 18gb (for example) disk:

c0t0d0s0 4gb / (we will use this one for solaris 9)
c0t0d0s1 1gb swap
c0t0d0s2 overlap
c0t0d0s3 4gb sol8
c0t0d0s4 4gb sol7
c0t0d0s5 -
c0t0d0s6 -
c0t0d0s7 5gb /sharedspace

- You can use the installation CD or the software 1/2 CD.

NOTE: The installation cd will erase all data on the disk, so it is better
to use
the software 1/2 CD if data on the disk is to be preserved.

- During the installation you will reach the window with "auto" or "manual
layout" choose "manual layout", then "edit".

- To save some time later, you can name the partitions after what you want
to install on them later (/sol8 if you intend to use a partition for
Solaris 8, for instance).

2. Second Solaris 8 install:

- Boot from the software CD 1/2 of the Solaris release to be installed.

- when you reach "select disk", choose the same hard disk again.

- the next window is "Preserve Data?", choose "preserve".

- rename the / slice of c0t0d0s0 to /s9 and select "preserve" (so that
the solaris 9 install on slice 0 will not be overwritten).

- continue and select manual layout, then customize

- In the solaris 9 install (see step 1), you partitioned on slice 3
c0t0d0s3, solaris 8 (sol8)

- specify swap again with same size as you used in step 1.

- now in the customize window specify on slice 3 "/" with the same size
as you specified in step 1.

- define /sharedspace on slice 7 (c0t0d0s7) (again with same size).
This way you will be able to boot solaris 8, write a file in /sharedspace
reboot to solaris 9 and verify that the file is still there.

3. Third (Solaris 7) install:

- same as in 2, but now you have to preserve slice 0 (solaris9)
and slice 3 (solaris 8), so rename slice 3 to /sol8 and continue

- specify swap with the same size as used earlier.

- specify "/" in slice 4 (c0t0d0s4) with size

- define on slice 7 /sharedspace again with same size

4. Create bootaliases for each Solaris version

- ok>show-disks
- you will get a alphabetical list of devices
- select the bootdisk (letter "a" for example)

create aliases:

- ok>nvalias 9 ^Y (devicepath/disk)

("^Y" is "control-Y")

Use the corrsponding letter to determine the path to the slice ("a" equals
slice 0, "b", equals slice 1 and so on), then add @0,0:<slice> to the end
of the disk name.

@0,0:a <--- Solaris 9, which was installed on slice 0.

- for solaris 8, which we installed on slice 3, we use:
ok>nvalias 8 ^Y (devicepath/disk)@0,0:d

- and finally, for solaris 7, which is slice 4, we use:
ok>nvalias 7 ^Y (devicepath/disk)@0,0:e

finally setup the boot-device + diag-device variables correctly for 9,8 and 7.

ok>setenv boot-device 9 8 7 net

ok>setenv diag-device 9 8 7 net

you can now choose which os you want to boot from, all installed on one disk:

ok>boot 9
ok>boot 8
ok>boot 7

NOTE:Each os will mount /sharedspace and be able to read/ write into it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual Boot Solaris 8

Greetings, I have learned much since joining the message board, but I was unable to locate any information concerning dual booting Solaris with Windows on a machine with standardized equipment. I have read on the sun.com page that it is possible and can even be pushed to the rear partition, but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TStoddard
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris dual boot

Hello friends, On sparc 5 with solaris 8 i like to have dual boot with solaris 9. is this correct that the minimum memmory must be 96 mb for dual boot? do you recommand dual boot on unix? solaris 8 will be the testing environment and solaris 9 the production. does any one has this type... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep
5 Replies

3. Solaris

solaris dual boot

hi ;) So I have 2 HDD (SATA and ATA). On the SATA I've installed WindwosXP and now I want to install solaris 10 on the ATA disk. Is it possible if the ATA disk is primary to make dual boot ? thank you very much (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nocture
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Dual Boot XP Solaris

Does here know how to configure the Windows XP Boot loader to dual boot XP and Solaris 10? I installed Solaris after XP but it did not detect the XP installation, and I really can't reformat right now. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Super User
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris and Xp in dual boot

Hello,I've a big problem. On my hd I've Windows Xp and after I've installed Solaris 10. Solaris now run perfectly but I can't boot the Xp partition.I've tried with grub super disk and I receive an error 12 when I try to boot the Windows partition.However with the windows cd the partition is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bgf0
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to find files on a dual OS disk?

Hi, I have an HP ProLiant DL360 server with dual boot OS - CentOS and SuSE. Now the server has a motherboard issue. I move the dual OS disk AAA from the dead server to an identical server and mount it as a secondary disk. Question: How can I transfer files on disk AAA to the new server?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

7. Solaris

dual boot solaris/solaris zfs file system

Hi, I am running into a some problems creating a dual boot system of 2 solaris instances using ZFS file system and I was wondering if someone can help me out. First some back ground. I have been asked to change the file system of our server from UFS to ZFS. Currently we are using Solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: estammis
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% / ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% /... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Dual screen in Solaris 10

Hi. I have a question.. how can i do a dual screen in CME with the same desktop.. with consule.. ?! sry for wrong selection in forum. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: defs
1 Replies
installgrub(1M)                                                                                                                    installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)