Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can I delete files using a file that containt path and names? Post 7369 by Perderabo on Tuesday 25th of September 2001 12:51:38 PM
Old 09-25-2001
AlvaroD emailed me that the filenames contain embedded spaces. In that case, I would go with:

cat virus | xargs -i rm {}

and

find / -name \*.eml -exec rm {} \;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do manipulate file path and names

In emacs elisp, there is a handy function called file-name-nondirectory which accepts a path and file name and returns just a file name and extension. There is also a function called file-name-directory which just returns the dire ctory name without the file. How can I implement these same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to delete file names with $ in them

I'm reading the file name from a spreadsheet then creating a data file with several remove statements. i.e cd /sun/5.0/AWBE/v1.0/svr/VaultLocs/CPVaultLoc/ rm "ZXCV KTest Stat host $$ cont.xls" cd /sun/5.0/AQE/v1.0/svr/VaultLocs/CPVaultLoc/ rm "ABC PMT OzLtr.pdf" cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want only file names (not whole path) in shell script

hi i wrote following script, #!/usr/bin/sh for index in `ls /tmp/common/*.txt` do echo "$index" done here index is giving full path but in my program i want only file names (not along with whole path) Eg. if in /tmp/common files are a.txt and b.txt den out should be a.txt b.txt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a data file into separate files with the file names depending upon a column's value?

Hi, I have a data file xyz.dat similar to the one given below, 2345|98|809||x|969|0 2345|98|809||y|0|537 2345|97|809||x|544|0 2345|97|809||y|0|651 9685|98|809||x|321|0 9685|98|809||y|0|357 9685|98|709||x|687|0 9685|98|709||y|0|234 2315|98|809||x|564|0 2315|98|809||y|0|537... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithins007
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing path name from list of file names

I have this piece of code printf '%s\n' $pth*.msf | tr ' ' '\n' | sort -t '-' -k7 -k6r \ | awk -F- '{c=($6$7!=p&&FNR!=1)?ORS:"";p=$6$7}{printf("%c%s\n",c,$0)}' When I run it I get /home/chrisd/tatsh/branches/terr0.50/darwin/n02-z30-dsr65-terr0.50-dc0.002-8x6drw-csq.msf... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting path names

I am in a directory called /abstracts Doing tree -d gives . ├── geo1936 │ ├── geo01n01 │ ├── geo01n02 │ └── geo01n03 ├── geo1937 │ ├── geo02n01 │ ├── geo02n02 │ ├── geo02n03 │ └── geo02n04 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files with an input for directories and an input for path/file

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how best to approach this script, and I have very little experience, so I could use all the help I can get. :wall: I regularly need to delete files from many directories. A file with the same name may exist any number of times in different subdirectories.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *ShadowCat*
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete files whose file names are listed in a .txt file

hi, I need a help. I used this command to list all the log files which are for more than 10 days to a text file. find /usr/script_test -type f -mtime +10>>/usr/ftprm.txt I want all these files listed in the ftprm.txt to be ftp in another machine and then rm the files. Anyone can help me... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files except the file names available in the Except File

Hi, I need some help in the below scenario. I need to delete all the files from the directory except the file name available in the Except file. Like the folder ABC have files like A1.txt,A2.txt......A10.txt and also have a file named Except.txt with the content A3.txt,A4.txt Need a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kban
6 Replies
undbx(1)							       undbx								  undbx(1)

NAME
undbx - a tool to extract e-mails from Outlook Express .dbx files. SYNOPSIS
undbx [options]<DBX-DIRECTORY|DBX-FILE>[<OUTPUT-DIRECTORY>] DESCRIPTION
undbx is a tool to extract, recover and undelete e-mails messages from Outlook Express .dbx files. Email are extracted in individual .eml files. When a target directory is specified, undbx will extract e-mails from dbx files found in this directory. Instead of providing a target directory, the usr can provide a target dbx file. When no output directory is specified, undbx will extract emails in a subdirectory of the current directory. In normal mode (not recovery), a message is extracted only if there is no corresponding .eml file in the destination directory. On the other hand, if a .eml file exists in the destination directory and no corresponding mail is found in the .dbx file, the mail is con- sidered deleted and undbx will delete this .eml file. This way, undbx can be used as an synchronization backup tool for .dbx files. The file names of .eml files are composed by the From, To and Subjec: header fields. The modification time of each file is set to match the date specified in the Date field of the mail header. OPTIONS
--help Provides a short help message. --recover undbx attempt to recover e-mail messages from a corrupted .dbx file. In this mode fragments of messages are collected into .eml files. This may take a long time and some messages maybe corrupted. Also, all messages are extracted, not only the new ones. --version Shows the version string SEE ALSO
pffinfo(1) pffexport(1) munpack(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Christophe Monniez <christophe.monniez@fccu.be> for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. February 23, 2011 undbx(1)