Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed substitute situation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed substitute situation Post 73682 by vibhor_agarwali on Friday 3rd of June 2005 09:02:01 AM
Old 06-03-2005
Ooops,

While I was writing somebody else gave the command. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed situation

Hi, I'm looking for someone who can think in sed. Basically, I need the trailing characters on every line in a file to be deleted. These characters are all in capitals, and always follow a number, but they often vary in number For instance, on the line: 2006_10_9_p20_TALK I'd want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laurel Maury
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to substitute between two patterns.

Hi All, I'm currently using SED to make various changes to some .xml files I'm working on, but I'm stuck on this particular problem. I want to remove '<placeholder>element-name</placeholder>' from the following: <heading>Element <placeholder>element-name</placeholder> not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_altius
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to substitute first occurrence

I am trying to get rid of some ending tags but I run into some problems. Ex. How are you?</EndTag><Begin>It is fine.</Begin><New> Just about I am trying to get rid of the ending tags, starts with </ and ending with >. (which is </EndTag> and </Begin>) I tried the following sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixoticking11
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to substitute between quotes.

I'm using sed to perform a simply search and replace. The typical data is: <fig><image href="Graphics/BAV.gif" align="left" placement="break" I need to replace the value in the first set of quotes, keeping the remainder of the line the same. Thus: <fig><image href="NEW_VALUE" align="left"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_altius
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed question to substitute data in \2

Hi All, Here is what I'm trying to do with sed: Input File: somechangeVariable1=Something I would like to change somechangeVariable2=Something else I would like to change ... Output File: somechangeVariable1=Something I would like to different somechangeVariable2=Something else I would... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peace_Dude1
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to substitute filepaths with sed or awk?

I am having the following problem. I am having a lot of files (test_1_01.hea, test_1_02.hea, etc) with the content: project_directory /net/1/d_1/5/ tmp_directory /net/1/d_1/5/ material_directory /net/1/d_1/5/ And I have to substitute the filepaths with new counted ones where the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed or gsub to substitute characters!

Is there a way to substitute the URL-encoding references of ( & and ` ) with their actual appearance? for example.... %26 is & say I want to convert every %26 in my file to &..... awk '{gsub(/%26/,"&");print}' Is there a way to do this? I also want to be able to convert ` too! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitute command -- need help

I am trying to do what I thought should be a simple substitution, but I can't get it to work. File: Desire output: I thought I'd start with a sed command to remove the part of the header line preceding the string "comp", then go on to remove the suffix of the target string (e.g. ":3-509(-)"),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed]: Substitute a string with a multiline value

Dear all, I try to replace a string of characters in a file (MyFile.txt) by a multiline value of the variable "Myvar": $ cat MyFile.txt DESCRIPTION '@TargetTable SCHEMA' ( @InputFlowDef ); $ The content of Myvar: $ echo "$Myvar" col1 , col2 , col3 $ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Substitute a character with sed

hi all, i'd like to modify a file with sed , i want to substuite a char "-" with "/" how can i do this? Thanks for all regards Francesco (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Francesco_IT
16 Replies
SUBST(1)						      General Commands Manual							  SUBST(1)

NAME
subst - substitute definitions into file(s) SYNOPSIS
subst [ -e editor ] -f substitutions victim ... DESCRIPTION
Subst makes substitutions into files, in a way that is suitable for customizing software to local conditions. Each victim file is altered according to the contents of the substitutions file. The substitutions file contains one line per substitution. A line consists of two fields separated by one or more tabs. The first field is the name of the substitution, the second is the value. Neither should contain the character `#', and use of text-editor metacharacters like `&' and `' is also unwise; the name in particular is best restricted to be alphanumeric. A line starting with `#' is a comment and is ignored. In the victims, each line on which a substitution is to be made (a target line) must be preceded by a prototype line. The prototype line should be delimited in such a way that it will be taken as a comment by whatever program processes the file later. The prototype line must contain a ``prototype'' of the target line bracketed by `=()<' and `>()='; everything else on the prototype line is ignored. Subst extracts the prototype, changes all instances of substitution names bracketed by `@<' and `>@' to their values, and then replaces the tar- get line with the result. OPTIONS
-e Substitutions are done using the sed(1) editor, which must be found in either the /bin or /usr/bin directories. To specify a dif- ferent executable, use the ``-e'' flag. EXAMPLE
If the substitutions file is FIRST 111 SECOND 222 and the victim file is x = 2; /* =()<y = @<FIRST>@ + @<SECOND>@;>()= */ y = 88 + 99; z = 5; then ``subst -f substitutions victim'' changes victim to: x = 2; /* =()<y = @<FIRST>@ + @<SECOND>@;>()= */ y = 111 + 222; z = 5; FILES
victimdir/substtmp.new new version being built victimdir/substtmp.old old version during renaming SEE ALSO
sed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Complains and halts if it is unable to create its temporary files or if they already exist. HISTORY
Written at U of Toronto by Henry Spencer. Rich $alz added the ``-e'' flag July, 1991. BUGS
When creating a file to be substed, it's easy to forget to insert a dummy target line after a prototype line; if you forget, subst ends up deleting whichever line did in fact follow the prototype line. 25 Feb 1990 SUBST(1)