Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers file handling problem in perl...... Post 73548 by vivekshankar on Thursday 2nd of June 2005 02:20:06 PM
Old 06-02-2005
file handling problem in perl......

Hi,
I am opening a file......then i am wrting some data into it......and i am reopening the file again but ......i get a error cannot open file.......

$::file= "\adder\testfile.txt"
open(TEST1,$::file);
some write operation
close(TEST1)

open(TEST1,$::file) 'I GET A ERROR CAN OPEN FILE

why am i getting this?how can i rectify this?

Thanks and Regards
Vivek.S

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Inter Process File Handling Problem

Hi All, i am running a oracle procedure which writes a file . The same file is picked up by another script which runs in a cron after every 5 minutes. Now the problem is that sometimes my script picks up a file while the procedure is still writing data in the file. is there is any way i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhjain
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Signal handling in Perl

Guys, I'm doing signal handling in Perl. I'm trying to catch ^C signal inside the script. There two scripts : one shell script and one perl script. The shell script calls the perl script. For e.g. shell script a.sh and perl scipt sig.pl. Shell script a.sh looks something like this :... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: obelix
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl revers File handling

Hi Experts, I have a big text file, so I want read it at eof to upper bound !. after I use a fseek to go SEEK_END, is it possible to step up upperbound? Best Regards. Note that I'm used perl script. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
2 Replies

4. Programming

XML Handling in Perl

Hi there, I'm newby in perl and XML. I can read and parse Xml with XML-Node upper XML::Parser, but how can I create XML tags and pack my individual data in it then send through socket. PLZ lead me :) Thanks in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

file handling in perl without using system command

Hi , Is there any way to achieve following using perl program (i.e without using system command). 1.system ("echo 'test' > /usr/spool/ship.csv"); 2.system ("cat /usr/ajay_test* >> /usr/spool/RAM/work/patil.csv"); 3.system("> /usr/spool/ajay.txt"); e.g for system("rm -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
1 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Perl Error Handling Problem

I can get this working, but if something is down I get an error and the script does not move on. I can not get the "else" function working. What might I be doing wrong? use SNMP::Simple my %ios = (); $list="list.list"; open(DAT, $list) || die("Can't Open List"); @raw_data=<DAT>;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
4 Replies

7. Programming

Perl help for file handling

$# some text $$ some text $@ some text $$. some text Mg1 some text Mg2 some text . . . Mg10 some text The above 10 lines are to be extracted except the lines starting from $#,$$.,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baig.abdul
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL error handling

I have a PERL command line embedded in a UNIX script. The script doesn't handle errors coming out of this command. I'm processing large files and occassionally I run out of disk space and end up with half a file. perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/g' < TR_TMP_$4 > $4 How do I handle errors coming out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OTChancy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl file handling error

Hi, I am reading and file and writting each word to other file. where I have used array to store the data. I am getting below error as "Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at customize_split_raw.pl line 51, <IN_FILE> " Where my line 51 code is 50 foreach... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer123
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : How is file handling working here??

Hi, I have a perl script which is just reading from the file but what I would like to understand is how the counter is moving without using the loop in the script. Below are the details: $ more /tmp/abc.txt This is 0 This is 1 This is 2 This is 3 This is 4 This is 5 This is 6 This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddharthjindal
2 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitTwoArgOpen(3)User Contributed Perl DocumentatioPerl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitTwoArgOpen(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitTwoArgOpen - Write "open $fh, q{<}, $filename;" instead of "open $fh, "<$filename";". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
The three-argument form of "open" (introduced in Perl 5.6) prevents subtle bugs that occur when the filename starts with funny characters like '>' or '<'. The IO::File module provides a nice object-oriented interface to filehandles, which I think is more elegant anyway. open( $fh, '>output.txt' ); # not ok open( $fh, q{>}, 'output.txt' ); # ok use IO::File; my $fh = IO::File->new( 'output.txt', q{>} ); # even better! It's also more explicitly clear to define the input mode of the file, as in the difference between these two: open( $fh, 'foo.txt' ); # BAD: Reader must think what default mode is open( $fh, '<', 'foo.txt' ); # GOOD: Reader can see open mode This policy will not complain if the file explicitly states that it is compatible with a version of perl prior to 5.6 via an include statement, e.g. by having "require 5.005" in it. CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. NOTES
There are two cases in which you are forced to use the two-argument form of open. When re-opening STDIN, STDOUT, or STDERR, and when doing a safe pipe open, as described in perlipc. SEE ALSO
IO::Handle IO::File AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::InputOutput::ProhibitTwoArgOpen(3)