Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cutting specific lines from a file Post 73487 by vino on Thursday 2nd of June 2005 02:38:10 AM
Old 06-02-2005
This should do it... but the script will work only for your mani.txt.

Code:
sed -e '/^My Name/!d mani.txt > output.txt

Vino

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting n consecutive lines from a file...

Hi, I have this problem of separating 10 consecutive lines from a file, say starting from 21 to 30... I have used a filter like this.. head -n 30 myfile | tail -n 10 Is there a simpler way than this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting specific name from configuration file

Hi falks, I have the following configuration file structure: file1:N file2:Y file3:Y file4:N ...... I need to cut from the configuration file only the file with the sign "Y" in the end and copy it to some directory. What is the best way to do it? Thanks in advance, Nir (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to display specific lines of a specific file

are there any basic commands that can display lines 99 - 101 of the /etc/passwd file? I'm thinking use of head and tail, but I forget what numbers to use and where to put /etc/passwd in the command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidkridley
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut first line only from a text near a specific column without cutting a word

First I have to say thank you to this community and this forum. You helped me very much builing several useful scripts. Now, I can't get a solution the following problem, I'm stuck somehow. Maybe someone has an idea. In short, I dump a site via lynx and pipe the output in a file. I need to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cutting lines

Dear All, Is there a way to cut the lines that have been "head" Here is what i m trying to do Please advice there is file name dummy.txt now i am trying to head this file 4 time by using a loop and every time this file is head with different values e.g in first instance it will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting specific line of a file by checking condition

testfile.csv 0","1125209",,"689202CBx18888",,"49",,,"NONMC",,,,,"01112010",,,,,,,"MTM- "1","",,"689202ABx19005",,"49",,,"NONMC",,,,,"01072010",,,,,,,"MTM- testfile.csv looks like above format if the second column is null then get 23rd column and store in a different varible .. add all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgant
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting out text from specific portion on filename

Hi, how do I go about cutting out the first numeric characters after the word "access"? access1005101228.merged-00.15.17.86.d8.b8.log.gz (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: GermanJulian
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting rows at specific length

Hi, i have a file containing nrows and 3cols. i want to cut it in specific length and save output to individual files. 1 2 3 4 5 6 5 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 i need to cut the file say every 2 rows and save it in individual file. 01.dat contains 1 2 3 4 5 6 02.dat 7 8 9... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick UNIX command to display specific lines in the middle of a file from/to specific word

This could be a really dummy question. I have a log text file. What unix command to extract line from specific string to another specific string. Is it something similar to?: more +/"string" file_name Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aku
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting specific columns from lines

I am trying to remove columns 81-97 from a line that can be as long as 114 characters. Because a number of lines might not have under 80 characters, using the cut command following by paste could be a problem. While sed might work, is there some other utility that could do this more easily? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
9 Replies
XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)					      General Commands Manual						 XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)

NAME
xclip-copyfile, xclip-cutfile, xclip-pastefile - copy and move files via the X clipboard SYNOPSIS
xclip-copyfile [-p] FILES... xclip-cutfile [-p] FILES... xclip-pastefile DESCRIPTION
xclip-copyfile copies files into the X clipboard, recursing into directories. xclip-cutfile copies the files, but also deletes them afterwards. -p preserve path formation xclip-pastefile pastes the files out of the clipboard EXAMPLES
Copying a file to a remote host [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ echo "A file created on ${HOSTNAME}" > file1 [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ cat file1 A file created on maggie.lkpg.cendio.se Copying an entire tree structure [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-copyfile doc [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile doc/ doc/letter-mom-april.txt doc/file1 doc/letter-dad-march.txt Copying files with preserved path information [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile -p /etc/sysconfig/grub tar: Removing leading `/' from member names [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile etc/sysconfig/grub [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ ls etc/sysconfig/grub etc/sysconfig/grub Moving files [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-cutfile letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt ls: cannot access letter-brother-may.txt: No such file or directory [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ cd doc [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile letter-brother-may.txt AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Maximilian Gass <mxey@cloudconnected.org> for the Debian project. It may be used for everything else, of course. XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)