Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to cut a text file at a certain spot? Post 73460 by reborg on Wednesday 1st of June 2005 02:18:01 PM
Old 06-01-2005
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

INPUTFILE=$1
OUTPUTFILE=$2
TIMESTAMP=$(date +%M)

sed -n 's/.*\('${TIMESTAMP}'.*\)/\1/p' ${INPUTFILE} > ${OUTPUTFILE}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut a field of a line in a text file?

Hi, I have text file which contains lines like : a/a/a/a/.project b/b/b/b/b/.project c/c/c/.project d/.project e/e/e/e/.project i want for all lines the last word .project should be removed and the file should look like : a/a/a/a/ b/b/b/b/b/ c/c/c/ .... how to proceed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut big text file into 2

I have a big text file. I want to cut it into 2 pieces at known point or I know the pattern of the contents from where it can separate the files. Is there any quick command/solution? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy221
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need to cut the first word of a line in text file

Hi All, I would like help with a script which can get rid of the first work of all lines in text file. File 1 The name is Scott. Output : name is Scott ---------- Post updated at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:37 PM ---------- Hi ALL There is typo error in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubbly
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the second line in a text file

Hi I have some problem to cut out the second line in a output file and send to a new file it's a #!/bin/bash script 1 something 2 something 3 something and after I cut 1 something 3 something New file 2 something Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pelle
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut text from a file

How can I cut the text of definite length say from line no. 20 to 1000? It is trivial ques, but I am very new to Unix. Thanks :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackR
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help using Awk and cut with a text file

Looking for some help on using awk and cut I have a text file that has fixed information and want to write a script that will prompt the user for an account to search for and pint the output The sample line that has the key information looks like this: Statement to: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggy6
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut from a text file based on value of a specific column?

Hi, I have a tab delimited text file from which I want to cut out specific columns. If the second column equals one, I want to cut out columns 1 and 5 and 6. If the second column equals two, I want to cut out columns 1 and 5 and 7. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut text file in place

I have a file that i want to take only the first part of it and discard the rest, to be accurate,I need the first 137097 lines but I cant use split because I dont have enough space on my disck. I need sth to cut the file in its place (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heidi Heweidy
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut text from a file and remove

Hello Friends, I am stuck with the below problem.Any help will be appreciated. I have a file which has say 100 lines. On the second last line I have a line from which i want to remove certain characters.. e.g CAST(CAST( A as varchar(50)) || ',' || CAST(CAST( B as varchar(50)) || ',' ||... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vital_parsley
8 Replies
HYLAFAX-SHUTDOWN(5F)													      HYLAFAX-SHUTDOWN(5F)

NAME
etc/shutdown - server shutdown control file DESCRIPTION
If the file etc/shutdown is present it describes when a HylaFAX server is to be shutdown and may contain a descriptive message to return to clients explaining the reason for the shutdown. This file is used by the hfaxd(8C) program. The file has the following format: <year> <month> <day> <hour> <minute> <deny> <disconnect> <shutdown message text> The first line defines the date and time the server should be shutdown and the time preceding at which unprivileged clients should be denied service or disconnected; these fields are described in more detail below. Any lines that follow the first are taken as the text of a message to return to clients when notifying them of a scheduled shutdown or when denying them service. <year> The decimal year; e.g. 1996. <month> The decimal month; e.g. 10 for October. <day> The decimal day of the month in the range [1..31]. <hour> The decimal hour since midnight; in the range [0..23]. <minute> The decimal minute after the hour; in the range [0..59]. <deny> The time prior to the shutdown time at which to deny service to unprivileged clients. This value is specified as decimal number in the form HHMM; e.g. 130 for 1 hour and 30 minutes. <disconnect> Time time prior to the shutdown time at which to disconnect unprivileged clients that are logged in to the server. This value is specified as a decimal number in the form HHMM. NOTES
This file is typically created using the ``SHUT'' command supported by hfaxd(8C). SEE ALSO
hfaxd(8C), hylafax-server(5F) January 18, 1996 HYLAFAX-SHUTDOWN(5F)