Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting $HOME is not getting it's value. Post 73433 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 1st of June 2005 08:38:04 AM
Old 06-01-2005
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

while read line
do
   INPUTD=`eval echo "$line" | cut -d ' ' -f5`

echo inputdirectory: $INPUTD
done < elig_jobs.txt

Last edited by vgersh99; 06-01-2005 at 09:45 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix at home

Hi people its me again. Just reading some of the threads about people like myself newbies (god bless us). anyway the conundrum is. I only use unix at work and that has only been for the last 3 weeks. And i now find myself pondering wether or not to install in my machine at home. therein lies... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: w33man
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cd into home directory ~

I'm trying to cd into a home directory with cd ~username_here and I'm getting the following error: ~username_here: does not exist The directory exists and I can directly go to it via cd /export/home/username_here without any problems. Any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
4 Replies

3. Solaris

/home Subdirectories

Hello: Could someone please explain to me how to create a subdirectory in the /home directory. I have tried creating a new user but the default path for a new user is /export/home. I am running Unix 5.8 on a Sun Blade 100. Thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mawalton
8 Replies

4. Programming

HOME env

Do you know shell in Linux without HOME env. Best regards, Iliyan Varshilov (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilko_partizan
1 Replies

5. Solaris

/etc/passwd $HOME

I would like to add a user with the following $HOME: /var/abc/AB!CD!DE/error yes - this directory actually exists on the system. I would like the user to log into the above directory. I have tried wrapping in single quotes (`) as well as using the escape (\) but I guess that I do not have... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewrgrayjr
9 Replies

6. Solaris

solaris 10 /home

What gives? # chmod 777 home chmod: WARNING: can't change home # after I installed solaris 10, /home isnt writetable by anyone, when I try and change the perms as root, i get the above error. Anyone seen this before? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
2 Replies

7. Linux

Need help w/home network

Hello world! I'm writing to you from Chile, Southamerica, and need a little help with my tiny home netwk. Hope you can give me a hand because this thing is breaking my balls. This is what i have: 1 windows box with XP pro (server) 1 linux box with DSL (box) 1 wrt54gl router with dd-wrt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: juanpedro
1 Replies

8. Programming

how to simulate "mkdir -p /home/blah1/blah2/blah3" in "c" where only /home exist

I'm trying to make use of mkdir(char *pathname, S_IRWXU) to create the directories. but it only creates one directory at a time. so I have to separate the tokens for "/home/blah1/blah2/blah3" as "home blah1 blah2 blah3" using delimiter "/", but it is again hectic to create such directory... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: platinumedge
8 Replies

9. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp -p /home/* home/exp/*.date not working please help

:( ---------- Post updated at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:50 AM ---------- Not working ---------- Post updated at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:51 AM ---------- cp -p /home/* home/exp/*.`date` i am using this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishiraaz
4 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)