Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Want to use the output of Select statement in Unix script Post 73095 by jerardfjay on Friday 27th of May 2005 09:52:28 AM
Old 05-27-2005
If you want to send values to a SQL script as a command line parameter then call your sqlplus command with arguments as follows

sqlplus username/password argument1 argument2 ..

and within the sqlplus commands refer to the arguments as positional parameters as &1, &2 ..

Also if you want to send values from the sql scripts back into the calling environment you would have to write PL/SQL blocks coded into sql scripts which can communicate values from the sqlplus exeuctions as bind_variables. Then you can use the exit command as follows within the PL/SQL block and pass the bind variable back to the calling environment.

EXIT :BIND_VAR;

Jerardfjay

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pipe SQL select statement results to script

Hello I would like to perform a select from a oracle table and return those values to my shell script For example: site=head -1 $infile | cut -c1-15 | awk '{printf "s%", $0} sqlplus -s /nolog |& #Open pipe to sql select col1, col2, col3, col4 from oracle_table where col5 =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: houtakker
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Supress ' quotes in a select statement inside Shell Script

Hi I have a shell script in which a string variable is saving following query. SqlQuery="select a||'|'||b||'|'||c from dual" I am trying to pass above query as a parameter to some script but its giving me error for "single quote". I tried suppressing it using \' instead of just ' but it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using SELECT sql statement in shell script

Hi there I have a database on a remote box and i have been using shell script to insert data into it for example, i could have a script that did this SN=123456 n=server1 m=x4140 sql="UPDATE main SET hostname='$n',model='$m' WHERE serial='$SN';" echo $sql |/usr/sfw/bin/mysql -h... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select variable within a if statement

i want to select a variable created and use it in a if statement, but not getting the desired results LINE='device for 0101a01: lpd://172.25.41.111:515' prt=`echo $LINE | awk '{print $3 }' | cut -c 1-7` echo $prt My if statement to select just what i want.. IFS=$":" while read prt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggoliath
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a select script through UNIX and sending output to file

Hi, (Oracle, AIX) I have googled this and searched this forum, however I haven't had much luck with an answer and have tried several different things. Basically I have a SQL select statement which generates a whole load of UPDATE statements, I want to run the select statement via... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbchud
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell command output to a sql statement

Can i do this Say one command sed 's/:*/ /g' $summf is returning C1234 C2345 C3434 some no of rows, now this ouput i have to insert it into a DB table how do i do this?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: depakjan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sql select command output formatting in shell script

Hi, I need to connect to the database and retrieve two variables from the database and store them in a variable,out of these two variables I need to get lastdigit appended to the variable 1 retrieved and variable 2 with out any modification in short select var,data from usage; o/p=... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkrish
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting sqlplus from UNIX with multiple select statement

hi, i have a requirement where i need to connect sqlplus from unix and i am able to do so by following command: cust_count=`sqlplus -s $ORACLE_USER/$ORACLE_PASS@$ORACLE_SID << EOF set pagesize 0 set feedback off set verify off ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with select statement

Hi I have run out of ideas as to why this select doesn't work in a script I am writing. The script sources a file of common functions and I am trying to use a select statement within one of the functions - PS3="Try? " select X in CONT EXIT; do if ] ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the output of a select query using shell script?

HI, I want to connect to database and fetch the count from a table. The sql query is as below : select count(*) from table_test where test_column='read'; How can I print the output of this statement using shell script. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: confused_info
4 Replies
DB2_STMT_ERROR(3)							 1							 DB2_STMT_ERROR(3)

db2_stmt_error - Returns a string containing the SQLSTATE returned by an SQL statement

SYNOPSIS
string db2_stmt_error ([resource $stmt]) DESCRIPTION
Returns a string containing the SQLSTATE value returned by an SQL statement. If you do not pass a statement resource as an argument to db2_stmt_error(3), the driver returns the SQLSTATE value associated with the last attempt to return a statement resource, for example, from db2_prepare(3) or db2_exec(3). To learn what the SQLSTATE value means, you can issue the following command at a DB2 Command Line Processor prompt: db2 '? $sqlstate- value'. You can also call db2_stmt_errormsg(3) to retrieve an explicit error message and the associated SQLCODE value. PARAMETERS
o $stmt - A valid statement resource. RETURN VALUES
Returns a string containing an SQLSTATE value. SEE ALSO
db2_conn_error(3), db2_conn_errormsg(3), db2_stmt_errormsg(3). PHP Documentation Group DB2_STMT_ERROR(3)