Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: subdirectory password
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers subdirectory password Post 7305 by Optimus_P on Monday 24th of September 2001 05:17:26 PM
Old 09-24-2001
no. but you can use permissions to lock unwanted people out.

try this.

Code:
cd;chmod 700 <i>list your files here</i>
also 
man chmod

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I copy files and subdirectory?

I am trying to copy some files from one location to another and I need to write a script to move all the files and the subdirectories to the new location (both unix), but excluding the temp directory. i.e., I want to avoid copying my temp subdirectories during the process of copying other files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: odogbolu98
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count files in every subdirectory

Hi if anyone could help me :) I did a lot of search and 70% of answer is "how to count files in all subdirectories". A basic problem for me is how to count files in every subdirectory separately then sort it by number of files For example: dir1 file1 file2 subdir11 dir2 dir3 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yorryk
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list directory and subdirectory?

Hi, I want to list all the directory and subdirectories under any directory. For eg. i am in a directory called A and want to check all directories under A. Output should be as below. /A /A/a1 /A/a1/a2 /A/b1 /A/c1/c2 A,a1,a2,b1,c1 and c2 all are directories.Just for Eg. Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pick one file from each subdirectory

Hi, I have a problem I am trying to solve with bash. I need to search in a file system (data base) with hundreds of directories and thousands of subdirectories and millions of files. The files have a specific format with a header that gives the properties. Directories are organized so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: majest
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing files in subdirectory

Forgive me if there is an answer to this somewhere in the forums. I've gone through as much as I could but couldn't find a relevant answer. What I'm trying to do is use the ll command to list some files in a subdirectory that matches a certain format. I've tried ll *.*a* <subdirectory> but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: archaic
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Find files in subdirectory?

I am trying to find all DAT files in a subdirectory named IN. I do not know the entire path. For example: /stage/<?>/<?>/IN/file.DAT I am using the find command without success: find /stage -name IN -a -name '*.DAT' -print What is the correct logic and syntax? Thank you for the help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TwinGT
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Should be a simple subdirectory check

Ok. Just getting back into PERL and probably (or most definitely) making a mountain out of a mole hill. I'm trying to see if a subdirectory exists, and if not, print the slightly modified path of the missing sub to a file. Sounds simple enough. Well here is my elaborate code. Save the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luvdairish
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Drilling down to the last subdirectory

Within a BASH environment, I need to search through a filesystem looking for the last subdirectory. Once the last subdirectory of the filesystem is found, I need to create another directory within it: Basic example: /u01/data1/project_1/proj_data1/score... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to move to the last subdirectory one by one?

Hi, How can i traverse to the last subfolder in all the directories. eg: i have the below folders structure f1/sf1/r1 f2/sf2/r2 f3/sf3/r3/r4 i need to move to the last directory in each directory. Can anyone tell me a solution for this? I saw an example that does that. find . -type... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
2 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
GSHADOW(5)						   File Formats and Conversions 						GSHADOW(5)

NAME
gshadow - shadowed group file DESCRIPTION
/etc/gshadow contains the shadowed information for group accounts. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains the following colon-separated fields: group name It must be a valid group name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, users will not be able to use a unix password to access the group (but group members do not need the password). The password is used when an user who is not a member of the group wants to gain the permissions of this group (see newgrp(1)). This field may be empty, in which case only the group members can gain the group permissions. A password field which starts with a exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. This password supersedes any password specified in /etc/group. administrators It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Administrators can change the password or the members of the group. Administrators also have the same permissions as the members (see below). members It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Members can access the group without being prompted for a password. You should use the same list of users as in /etc/group. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
gpasswd(5), group(5), grpck(8), grpconv(8), newgrp(1). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 GSHADOW(5)