Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with echo for var, padded with spaces Post 73010 by videsh77 on Thursday 26th of May 2005 02:52:45 PM
Old 05-26-2005
Problem with echo for var, padded with spaces

While concatenating 2 values, one which expanded to fixed width & other not, I am not getting value expanded as fixed width.
Following is script for the same :

#!/bin/sh

var1="abc"
var2="def"
var1Fxd=`echo $var1 | awk '{printf("%-6s",$0)}'`
echo $var1Fxd""$var2

But, if I try -
echo "abc" | awk '{printf("%-6s",$0)}'

Then it is showing me correct result with 'abc' followed by 3 spaces.

Can anyone tell me, how I can I have var1Fxd & var2 on same echo command, since this o/p I am passing to a file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo is suppressing multiple spaces.How to avoid it

I am reading a file and copying selected lines from the file into another using echo. For eg: while read line do if ((some logic to determine whether I need to copy the current line to another file)) then echo $line > tempfile fi done<srcfile The problem I have is the data in the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prathima
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store command in a Var problem

Hi! I strated to script since 1 month and I don't have much expirience but this thing here is strange I have a script where I want to store a svn command in a var to check it later so it's like this #!/bin/sh list=`ssh itadmin@192.168.1.200 "ls /home/svn"` # this stores the list of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem regarding Sed/Echo/Var Init

Greetings, I've visited this forums for a long time and normally got an right answer but this time my problem doesn't seem to go away. What I'm trying to do is the following: VAR="\n\nline1\nline2\nline3\nline4\nline5\nline6\nline7\n\n" (The count of newlines is varying!) If I echo this i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ph1l
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp var for filename with spaces

Hello all, I am having difficulties writing an ftp script to retrieve a file via get using a variable name to pass the file name. I know the name of the file I am going to retrieve, this file name has embedded spaces and punctuation in the name itself. If I interactively use the get and I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with echo command in reading blank spaces in aix

Hi, I have a test.txt and would like to put in a different file but while putting in the other file, blank spaces are missing. $ indicates blank spaces filename: test.txt: USA$$$840$$$$ Desired output USA$$$840$$$$ Current output as per the following code. while read j; do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem running var (with spaces) as command

I seem to be fighting bash's shell expansions.. I set this variable: CMD="export MVAR=\"1 2 3\"" if I try to run it, it is clear the shell is parsing along the spaces of the contents of MYVAR: > $CMD + export 'MYVAR="1' 2 '3"' + MYVAR='"1' -bash: export: `2': not a valid identifier... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbw
3 Replies

7. Solaris

SVM Problem Regarding /var

Hi Guys! I am facing Problem with SVM I mention the problem below: I have Sunfire V210 machine and the partitions are as follows: Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 0 - 6134 29.77GB (6135/0/0) 62429760 1 swap wu ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sensation
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removing "echo-ed spaces"...

I have the following in a shell script myfilecount=`echo /dir1/dir2/file-sample* | wc -w` echo "Directory has $myfilecount files" The output looks like this: Directory has 540 files How can I remove the space between "has" and "540" so it looks more normal? Like this: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
3 Replies

9. Ubuntu

problem with /var/mail directory

Hi, There is no "administrator" file in "/var/mail" directory........ can any one tell me what could be the reason for that?...and also how to resolve that??? Thanks, ~Kavi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavi.mogu
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo a value of a var stored in another variable?

I'm writing a shell script in AIX and using ksh. I have a scenario where I have a variable A which stores $B. so when i echo "$A" it prints $B But I wish to print value stored in var b ie. \a\dir\res\ I wish to store \a\dir\res\ in a third variable C. later I want to cd into that path :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
1 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)