Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers facing problem with cut command Post 72906 by vivekshankar on Wednesday 25th of May 2005 12:21:25 PM
Old 05-25-2005
Thank you guys!! :-)

I will check...was struggling to get the last field......i guess i have learn awk , till now i dun have any idea abt awk...so b4 goin along with this code i guess it wud be better for me to learn basics of awk :-)

Thanks!!!

Regards
Vivek.S

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut command problem !

Hi all! Here is my problem : $ more file yougli:passwd:123456:3265:Yepa Yepo:/home/yougli:/bin/ksh As you can see, in the field "information", there are two spaces between "Yepa" and "yepo". My problem is : $ PARAM='more file | cut -d":" -f5' $ echo $PARAM Yepa Yepo Now i only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomapam
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with UNIX cut command

#!/usr/bin/bash cat /etc/passwd | while read A do USER=`echo “$A” | cut -f 1 -d “:”` echo “Found $USER” done This shell script should make USER = the first field of the first line of the file /etc/passwd Eg: adm daemon bob jane kev etc ... However USER=echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevin80
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with cut command

I am trying to take one part of my text from file and save it to variable $x I tryed this... x=`cut -c 6-9 $fajl` my file looks like this fajl: 21890001277 89386911 23638FBCDC 28EE01A1 0000 26855 124 244326 21890001277 89766911 23638FBCDC 28E021A1 0000 26557 134 684326 21890001277... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using cut command in shell script

I'm new to shell programming, and am having a problem in a (Korn) shell program, which boils down to this: The program reads a record from an input file and then uses a series of "cut" commands to break the record into parts and assign the parts to variables. There are no delimiters in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joroca
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem facing in using awk command

Hi., I am not able to replace the string with another string using gsub fn of awk command. My code: awk 'BEGIN gsub(004,IND,004)' p.txt and my i/p file p.txt is of the format: av|004|adkf|Kent,004|s av|005|ssdf|Kd,IT park|s . . . and my desired o/p should be of : (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: av_vinay
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

CUT command problem

Hi I have a strange problem when using cut command when i am using the below command, it is working fine,I am getting the data in new file xyz.dat cut -c 1-75 abc.dat > xyz.dat when i am using the below command, I am getting the data in new file abc.dat , but empty file cut -c 1-75... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaas
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with cut command

Hi! I get a md5 hash of a file with this command: openssl md5 /Users/me/MyLogo.png | cut -f 2 -d ' ' "cut" because I just want the hash. But there is a problem -> that doen't work with a path with spaces: openssl md5 /Users/me/MyLogo 2.png | cut -f 2 -d ' ' The result is "2.png)=" ...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dirk Einecke
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem facing command using shell

Dear Brothers! Need your help for the case where I am running one command on prompt and its giving us the correct output, but when i use the same command from shell its directs no output.:wall: the command on command prompt is ls -ltrh * | nawk '{if ($5~ '/$'M'/') print $9}' | grep -v... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jojo123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in using cut command

Hi Friend , i have one file say xyz.lst and it has content like dn: cn=m.hariharan,cn=employee,cn=delhi circle,cn=users,dc=industowers,dc=c dn: cn=ajay.jain,cn=employee,cn=gujarat circle,cn=users,dc=industowers,dc=com dn: cn=ajitkumar.thakor,cn=employee,cn=gujarat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish anand
4 Replies

10. AIX

I'm facing problem with rpm command, when running the command and appears this error:

exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program /usr/opt/freeware/bin/rpm because of the following errors: 0509-022 Cannot load module /opt/freeware/lib/libintl.a(libintl.so.1). 0509-150 Dependent module /opt/freeware/lib/libiconv.a(shr4.o) could not be loaded. 0509-152 Member... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ohmkar
4 Replies
English(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      English(3pm)

NAME
English - use nice English (or awk) names for ugly punctuation variables SYNOPSIS
use English; use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; # Avoids regex performance penalty # in perl 5.16 and earlier ... if ($ERRNO =~ /denied/) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides aliases for the built-in variables whose names no one seems to like to read. Variables with side-effects which get triggered just by accessing them (like $0) will still be affected. For those variables that have an awk version, both long and short English alternatives are provided. For example, the $/ variable can be referred to either $RS or $INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR if you are using the English module. See perlvar for a complete list of these. PERFORMANCE
NOTE: This was fixed in perl 5.20. Mentioning these three variables no longer makes a speed difference. This section still applies if your code is to run on perl 5.18 or earlier. This module can provoke sizeable inefficiencies for regular expressions, due to unfortunate implementation details. If performance matters in your application and you don't need $PREMATCH, $MATCH, or $POSTMATCH, try doing use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; . It is especially important to do this in modules to avoid penalizing all applications which use them. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 English(3pm)