Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting copying files and Renaming them + shell script Post 72762 by vino on Tuesday 24th of May 2005 05:59:06 AM
Old 05-24-2005
It did ? Didnt you get the .txt twice ? Smilie

Vino

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming Files using Shell Script

Hi Gurus, I have some files(all ending with .out as extension). Ex: aa1.out aa2.out aa3.out I would like to append each file with the current date to the end of the file so that they should become aa1_20090504.out. So I am using rename as follows: for i in path/aa* ; do mv $i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asmfloyd
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help copying and renaming files

I would like to copy files from one directory to another directory while renaming them at the same time. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this in a script? Basically, would like to copy files from /user/data/prod/*.txt to /user/data/bck/*.txt.bck (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thunderkiss65
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files and renaming

The goal is to read names of files defined ouside in upload.conf and rename them using date, time and proper extension. I have made short script while read; do cp "$RELAY" "$RELAY(date +%Y-%m-%d_%H:%M:%S)_DEPLOYED.ear" done < upload.conf but unfortunatelly it fails printiong the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michal Janusz
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files with a shell script

Hey guys, I'm really new to UNIX and shell scripting in general. For my internship I need to rename a bunch of files. Specifically, I need to change the first letter of each of the files to lowercase and I have to change the endings so they all basically look like "file_cone.jpg". I know I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjzieve
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying and Renaming script

Hey all! Sorry for the noobish question.. I am wondering how to I copy multiple files, and rename them based on their directory at once. So, I have files like this /logs/server/2011-10/server-1/log/file/folder/some.log.gz /logs/server/2011-10/server-2/log/file/folder/some.log.gz... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: m3power206
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying and renaming files

hi, source directory as /home/home01 target directort as /home/home02 I have below files in source directory: FrontOf_history.dat FrontOf_history1.dat In target directory have many files as: Kront_2014.dat Kront_2015.dat Kront_2016.dat Now i want to copy the two files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files with part of their pathname and copying them to new directory

Hi I think this should be relatively simple but I can't figure it out. I have several files with the same name in different folders within a directory (the output of a program that I ran). Something like this: ./myAnalysis/item1/round1/myoutput.txt ./myAnalysis/item1/round2/myoutput.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jullee
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from one directory to another, renaming duplicates.

Below is the script i have but i would like simplified but still do the same job. I need a script to copy files not directories or sub-directories into a existing or new directory. The files, if have the same name but different extension; for example 01.doc 01.pdf then only copy the .doc file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gilljambo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to a directory, renaming it if a file with the same name already exists

Hi All, I need to copy files from one directory to another with the files to be renamed while copying if a file with the same name already exists in the target directory. THanks, Dev (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
2 Replies
trcs(1) 							   User Manuals 							   trcs(1)

NAME
trcs - convert text files from one codeset to other SYNOPSIS
trcs -C | -l | -h trcs [-s] [-f input-codeset ] [-t output-codeset ] [ file ]... DESCRIPTION
trcs is a program for translation of text files from one codeset to other. When exact translation is impossible it tries to make approxi- mations. For example pseudographic characters are approximated by ASCII characters in codesets that have no pseudographic characters and characters with diacritical marks are approximated by existing characters. If the option -s or --gen-script is given trcs will generate simple script that invokes tr(1) This is useful if you want to include this in your script or for faster conversion of many files. If none of -C, -s, -l, -h and their equivalents is given each file will be read assuming it is coded with codeset input-codeset On standard output it will be recoded so to use codeset output-codeset If there is no file given trcs will act as filter. Both input-codeset and out- put-codeset are case insensitive and default to `cp1251'. OPTIONS
-C, --copyright Display copying conditions and warranty information. -s, --gen-script Generates conversion script for given input and output encodings instead to convert text files. -l, --list List all known codesets with their aliases. -h, --help Display this help and exit. -f input-codeset, --from[=]input-codeset Codeset of the source. -f output-codeset, --to[=]output-codeset Codeset of the output. EXAMPLES
trcs -fcyrillic -t koi8-r letter.txt Convert letter.txt from ISO-8859-5 (cyrillic) to KOI8-R and output the result on standard output. trcs --from cp437 --to=mik --gen-script >ibm2mik Generates script ibm2mik for converting from CP437 to MIK. sh ibm2mik screen.txt Convert screen.txt from CP437 to MIK. Output the result on standard output. Without parameters ibm2mik acts as filter. AUTHOR
Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg>, <zinoviev@fmi.uni-sofia.bg> SEE ALSO
tr(1) Linux JUN 2000 trcs(1)