Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Directory Inode Number Not Unique Post 72571 by nj302 on Sunday 22nd of May 2005 10:05:05 AM
Old 05-22-2005
Solaris 10 SPARCS same ino number for file system

Thank you all for replying. I understand the link to directories has the same inode number, and yes,if it is a different file system, it may have the same inode number also. But here is what I found out from Solaris 10 (SPARCS) file system . Below you would find that /usr, /usr/bin, /var/sadm all of them have the same inode nubmer 4, and they are under the same file system and no links between them...Could someone help to explain why the inode number is not unique? Thanks a lot.

Code:
rose-{5} ls -i /
     22728 TT_DB/              316 kernel/             115 sbin/
         9 bin@                112 lib/                120 tmp/
     11104 cdrom/                3 lost+found/           4 usr/
      2455 core                113 mnt/              22049 usr2/
        10 dev/              11097 net/                  5 var/
      1118 devices/              8 opt/              22035 vol/
        11 etc/                519 platform/         22058 www/
         6 export/             114 proc/
     11098 home/             22036 root/
rose-{6} ls -i /usr/
     28497 4lib/             24146 j2se/               116 preserve@
      5047 5bin@              3876 java@              7511 proc/
     17802 SUNWale/           8613 jdk/                117 pub@
      3668 X@                   25 kernel/             118 sadm/
     20168 adm@                 40 kvm/                125 sbin/
     79500 apache/              41 lib/               3203 sfw/
    102302 appserver/       197202 local/              161 share/
    129684 aset/                 3 lost+found/       11395 snadm/
         4 bin/                106 mail@               201 spool@
        21 ccs/               5464 man@                202 src@
        23 demo/               107 net/                203 tmp@
      3763 dict@               112 news@             28362 ucb/
      7541 dt/              141483 oasys/           157748 ucbinclude/
        24 games/              113 old/              28411 ucblib/
     84764 gnome/              114 openwin/         141489 vmsys/
      5640 include/           6032 perl5/              204 xpg4/
     73687 iplanet/            115 platform/         73440 xpg6/
rose-{7} ls -i /var/
       119 adm/               1018 krb5/               135 preserve/
     13281 apache/             126 ld/                 136 run/
     14974 appserver/         1443 ldap/                 4 sadm/
       123 audit/              130 log/                137 saf/
      4570 crash/                3 lost+found/       11664 samba/
       124 cron/              7644 lp/                4529 sma_snmp/
      7430 dmi/                131 mail/              7434 snmp/
     28095 ds5/                133 news/               139 spool/
      5682 dt/                1315 nfs/               4578 statmon/
       329 fm/                1444 nis/                144 tmp/
     11323 gnome/             7790 ntp/              15615 uucp/
     13716 imq/                134 opt/               1445 yp/
       125 inet/             17832 patchsvr/
rose-{8}

Last edited by zazzybob; 05-22-2005 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Added code tags for readability

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Inode number

as kernel keeps track of user activities on a file by its INODE number and I node table . what is the structure of Inode table. and where does this Inode table mapped into?user space or kernel space? is the Inode Number is fixed for a file till its deletion? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: compbug
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to find out pathname from inode number

Hi all when I execute pmap command on one of my daemon process, I am able to see the following output. Address Kbytes RSS Anon Locked Mode Mapped File 00010000 40 40 - - r-x-- irs026bmd 00028000 56 56 16 - rwx-- irs026bmd 00036000... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of Inode on a disk

How we can know number of inode present in my Disk including free and occupied. Is there any tool or program to know how much free inode are there in inode free list . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_deb
2 Replies

4. AIX

How to get the filename of which has been deleted if I know the inode number?

How to get the filename of which has been deleted if I know the inode number. i can use the command "istat" to get the inode number of the file. # istat /proc//fd/x If this file has been deleted,but the process of this file has not been closed and handle has not been released ,so this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoyOnLine
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying a file without changing inode number

Hi all, I am struggling to change the content of a file without changing the inode number. The exact issue is as below. I have a file name test.bak which has 100 lines of text. I am trying to to delete the first 90 lines of the text in the file. I know that using sed/awk/head/tail I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathishkmrv
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inode: is it both unique and 'permanent'?

I try to understand the meaning of an inode. I wonder whether an inode is unique (I'm pretty sure it is) and whether it remains the same inode regardless of whatever happens to the file, dir or whatever? I read somewhere that an inode stores info about the file, size... so changing the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakke
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Inode number changes for a file in Redhat Linux

Hi, I have created a file abc.log in Redhat Linux. Inode number for a file get changes every time i update the file using vi editor. Is there any setting that can be made , such that inode number never gets changed? Or if we cannot restrict from inode number getting changed , is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
9 Replies

8. Solaris

Retreive deleted file name if you having inode number

Some one please help me to find deleted file name, if I am having inode number in Solaris without using any 3rd party tool. Thanks :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksijain
3 Replies

9. Linux

Inode number changes for a file in Redhat Linux

Hi, I have created a file a.txt in Redhat Linux. Inode number for a file changes every time i update the file using vi editor , gedit etc. Is there any setting that can be made , such that inode number never changes as that is supposed to be the expected behavior? Or if we cannot... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: srirammanohar
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines

I have a directory of files, I can show the number of lines in each file and order them from lowest to highest with: wc -l *|sort 15263 Image.txt 16401 reference.txt 40459 richtexteditor.txt How can I also print the number of unique lines in each file? 15263 1401 Image.txt 16401... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
15 Replies
NTFSCP(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 NTFSCP(8)

NAME
ntfscp - overwrite file on an NTFS volume. SYNOPSIS
ntfscp [options] device source_file destination DESCRIPTION
ntfscp will overwrite file on an NTFS volume. At present ntfscp can't create new files. destination can be either file or directory. In case if destination is directory specified by name then source_file is copied into this directory, in case if destination is directory and specified by inode number then unnamed data attribute is created for this inode and source_file is copied into it (WARNING: it's unusual to have unnamed data streams in the directories, think twice before specifying directory by inode number). OPTIONS
Below is a summary of all the options that ntfscp accepts. Nearly all options have two equivalent names. The short name is preceded by - and the long name is preceded by --. Any single letter options, that don't take an argument, can be combined into a single command, e.g. -fv is equivalent to -f -v. Long named options can be abbreviated to any unique prefix of their name. -a, --attribute NUM Write to this attribute. -i, --inode Treat destination as inode number. -N, --attr-name NAME Write to attribute with this name. -n, --no-action Use this option to make a test run before doing the real copy operation. Volume will be opened read-only and no write will be done. -f, --force This will override some sensible defaults, such as not working with a mounted volume. Use this option with caution. -h, --help Show a list of options with a brief description of each one. -q, --quiet Suppress some debug/warning/error messages. -V, --version Show the version number, copyright and license ntfscp. -v, --verbose Display more debug/warning/error messages. DATA STREAMS
All data on NTFS is stored in streams, which can have names. A file can have more than one data streams, but exactly one must have no name. The size of a file is the size of its unnamed data stream. Usually when you don't specify stream name you are access to unnamed data stream. If you want access to named data stream you need to add ":stream_name" to the filename. For example: by opening "some.mp3:artist" you will open stream "artist" in "some.mp3". But windows usually prevent you from accessing to named data streams, so you need to use some program like FAR or utils from cygwin to access named data streams. EXAMPLES
Copy new_boot.ini from /home/user as boot.ini to the root of an /dev/hda1 NTFS volume: ntfscp /dev/hda1 /home/user/new_boot.ini boot.ini Copy myfile to C:somepathmyfile:stream (assume that /dev/hda1 letter in windows is C): ntfscp -N stream /dev/hda1 myfile /some/path BUGS
There are no known problems with ntfscp. If you find a bug please send an email describing the problem to the development team: linux-ntfs-dev@lists.sourceforge.net AUTHORS
ntfscp was written by Yura Pakhuchiy, with contributions from Anton Altaparmakov. DEDICATION
With love to Marina Sapego. AVAILABILITY
ntfscp is part of the ntfsprogs package and is available from: http://www.linux-ntfs.org/content/view/19/37 The manual pages are available online at: http://man.linux-ntfs.org/ SEE ALSO
ntfsprogs(8) ntfsprogs 1.13.1 November 2005 NTFSCP(8)