Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Interpretting the result of TOP command Post 7255 by sanjay92 on Friday 21st of September 2001 05:50:16 PM
Old 09-21-2001
Bug

Thanks !. It makes sense to me. Thanks for clarification.
sanjay92

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top command

Hey, Using one single line of command i am trying to show the CPU usage for 4 processors and then filter it out and write it to a text file. Everything seams ok except that i am not able to switch from having the top command show me all CPU processes seperate opposed to showing me the average of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Georgesaa
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top command

Hi , can some one please assist me in using top command im facing following after using top: # top -hv UX:sh (top): ERROR: top: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected # top -p UX:sh (top): ERROR: top: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NIMISH AGARWAL
3 Replies

3. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find the Memory and CPU utilization using 'top' command

Hi all, I found like top command could be used to find the Memory and CPU utilization. But i want to know how to find the Memory and CPU utilization for a particular user using top command. Thanks in advance. Thanks, Ananthi.U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk top not getting the "k" result

Hi all, I have the script : top -n 1 | awk '{ if (NR==4) print $5 }' It will return me with one memory usage : for instance 3134720k However, I need to be returned only the number : 3134720 Does anyone knows how to fix the script that return the number (without k) thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peuceul
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Preserving the format of top command result

hi, I have tried the below command in RHEL5: top|mailx -s "test" "abc@cvf.com" But in the mail the content was not in proper format. Is there any way to preserve the format ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Analyzing Linux's top command's result

RHEL 5.4 What are the first things you would look for when analyzing Linux's top command output? Below is a top output from one of our Linux machines; Do you see anything wrong? top - 15:56:01 up 133 days, 5:55, 5 users, load average: 2.94, 2.93, 6.58 Tasks: 178 total, 2 running,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command giving different result for different users for same command

Hello, I am running below command as root user #nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch count" Memtable switch count: 12 Where as when I try to run same command as another user it gives different result. #su -l zabbix -s /bin/bash -c "nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pushpraj
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top command

Hi All, i am using the below command and once get the output and i need to keep the first batch only.in this case how to do this one. please help me on thistop -b -n 5 >top.txt Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
FOOTPRINT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					      FOOTPRINT(1)

NAME
footprint -- gathers memory information about one or more processes SYNOPSIS
footprint [-j path] [-f bytes|formatted|pages] [-p name|pid] [-x name|pid] [-t] [-s] [-v] [-y] [-w] [--swapped] [--wired] [-a] process-name | pid | memgraph [...] footprint -h, --help DESCRIPTION
The footprint utility gathers and displays memory consumption information for the specified processes or memory graph files. footprint will display all addressable memory used by the specified processes, but it emphasizes memory considered 'dirty' by the kernel for purposes of accounting. If multiple processes are specified, footprint will de-duplicate multiply mapped objects and will display shared objects separately from private ones. footprint must be run as root when inspecting processes that are not owned by the current user. OPTIONS
-a, --all target all processes (will take much longer) -j, --json path also save a JSON representation of the data to the specified path -f, --format bytes|formatted|pages textual output should be formatted in bytes, pages, or human-readable formatted (default) -p, --proc name target the given process by name (can be used multiple times) -p, --pid pid target the given process by pid (can be used multiple times) -x, --exclude name/pid exclude the given process by name or pid (can be used multiple times) often used with --all to exclude some processes from analysis -t, --targetChildren in addition to the supplied processes, target their children, grandchildren, etc. -s, --skip skip processes that are dirty tracked and have no outstanding XPC transactions (i.e., are "clean") -v display vmmap-like output of address space layout -y, --summary print only regions with dirty memory, and condense __TEXT, __DATA, and __LINKEDIT regions into 'Other' subtotal -w, --wide show wide output with all columns (implies --swapped --wired) --swapped show swapped/compressed column, a subset of 'dirty' --wired show wired memory column, a subset of 'dirty' -h, --help display help and exit SAMPLE USAGE
footprint Mail WindowServer OS X
January 29, 2018 OS X