Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: read inside a while loop
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers read inside a while loop Post 72526 by dta4316 on Saturday 21st of May 2005 01:22:26 AM
Old 05-21-2005
read inside a while loop

Hi all,

In a while loop, like below...

while read line
do
read choice

case $choice in
1)
echo "xxx"
esac

done < file
why I can't run the read choice????

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

input inside while read loop

Hi all Does anyone have a script that will allow me to stop inside a while read loop. I want to pause the loop until a enter is pressed. e.g. While read line do echo something if LINECOUNT > 40 then read ENTER?"PRESS ENTER TO CONT..." ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read command (input) inside the while loop

Hi, 'read' command is not working inside the while loop, How can I solve this? Rgds, Sharif. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH loop inside a loop question

Hi all Sorry for the basic question, but i am writing a shell script to get around a slightly flaky binary that ships with one of our servers. This particular utility randomly generates the correct information and could work first time or may work on the 12th or 100th attempt etc !.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update file record inside read loop

Hi, I am reading file records inside a while loop, and want to update the record when certain condition is met. How can I update a file while being read? I want to avoid using temporary files, copy, rename, ... while IFS=',' read -r f1 f2 do function(f1,f2) if then <add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ysrini
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop inside awk to read and print contents of files

Hello, I have a set of files Xfile0001 - Xfile0021, and the content of this files (one at a time) needs to be printed between some line (lines start with word "Generated") that I am extracting from another file called file7.txt and all the output goes into output.txt. First I tried creating a for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaldo0805
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write a while loop inside for loop?

I'm taking a unix class and need to countdown to 0 from whatever number the user inputs. I know how to do this with a while or until loop but using the for loop is throwing me off.... I know I can use an if-then statement in my for loop but can I include a while loop in my for loop? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xxhieixx
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - How to do a "read -p" inside a while loop?

Hi there guys! I was trying to do: while read line; do if ; then read -p "Press Enter to continue..." cont=0 fi echo $line let cont++ done < file.txt However, I have read that the read -p would not work in a while loop... I was wondering if there is any other way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rplae
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to read user input inside a loop

Hi, This query is a part of a much more lengthy script. I wish to look for all the files in a folder named "data" which in this case has two files i.e. plan.war and agent.properties. For all the files found under data I wish to ask the user as to where they wish copy the files to. Below,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failure: if grep "$Var" "$line" inside while read line loop

Hi everybody, I am new at Unix/Bourne shell scripting and with my youngest experiences, I will not become very old with it :o My code: #!/bin/sh set -e set -u export IFS= optl="Optl" LOCSTORCLI="/opt/lsi/storcli/storcli" ($LOCSTORCLI /c0 /vall show | grep RAID | cut -d " "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subsonic66
5 Replies
mount.crypt(8)							     pam_mount							    mount.crypt(8)

Name
       mount.crypt - mount a dm-crypt encrypted volume

Syntax
       mount.crypt [-nrv] [-o options] device directory

Options
       -o options
	      Set further mount options. mount.crypt will take out its own options it recognizes and passes any remaining options on to the under-
	      lying mount program. See below for possible options.

-n     Do not update /etc/mtab. Note that this makes it impossible to unmount the volume by naming the container - you will  have  to  pass
	      the mountpoint to umount.crypt.

-r     Set  up  the loop device (if necessary) and crypto device in read-only mode.  (The mount itself will necessarily also be read-only.)
	      Note that doing a remount using `mount /mnt -o remount,rw` will not make the mount readwrite. The crypto and loop devices will  have
	      to be disassociated first.

-v     Turn on debugging and be a bit more verbose.

Mount options
       cipher The  cryptsetup  cipher  used  for  the  encrypted  volume.  This option is mandatory.  pmt-ehd(8) defaults to creating volumes with
	      "aes-cbc-essiv:sha256" as a cipher.

dm-timeout=seconds
	      Wait at most this many seconds for udev to create /dev/mapper/name after calling cryptsetup(8). The default value is 0 seconds.

fsck   Run fsck on the container before mounting it.

fsk_cipher
	      The OpenSSL cipher used for the filesystem key.

fsk_hash
	      The OpenSSL hash used for producing key and IV.

fstype The exact type of filesystem in the encrypted container. The default is to let the kernel autodetect.

keyfile
	      The path to the key file. This option is mandatory for "normal" crypto volumes and should not be used for LUKS volumes.

remount
	      Causes the filesystem to be remounted with new options. Note that mount.crypt cannot switch the underlying loop device (if  applies)
	      or the crypto device between read-only and read-write once it is created; only the actual filesystem mount can be changed, with lim-
	      its. If the loop device is read-only, the crypto device will be read-only, and changing the mount to read-write is impossible.  Sim-
	      ilarly,  going from rw to ro will only mark the mount read-only, but not the crypto or loop device, thus making it impossible to set
	      the filesystem the crypto container is located on to read-only.

ro     Same as the -r option.

verbose
	      Same as the -v option.

Obsolete mount options
       This section is provided for reference.

loop   This option used to set up a loop device, because cryptsetup(8) expects a block device. The option is  ignored  because  mount.crypt
	      can figure this out on its own.

pam_mount							    2008-10-08							    mount.crypt(8)