Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using UNIX as a router
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using UNIX as a router Post 7250 by e980238 on Friday 21st of September 2001 04:13:47 PM
Old 09-21-2001
Using UNIX as a router

Is there a way that i can create some start up disks for a computer with no hard drive to become a router? I know there are types of Linux OS's that can do it but i dont know which ones they are or where i can get them from. I am very new to the UNIX/Linux thing so I thank you for any help.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Software Router for Unix

Dear Users: I'm trying to find a software based Unix Router. I only want to bridge two subnets, and I'm not trying to share an internet connection. Ultimately, I'm looking for the sourcecode so that I can compile it for Mac OS X, which is the machine that the we want the router to run on. I'd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emulator
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX scripts for router

Hi, I want to write a script in unix for my routers which will collect the output to a file.. how do i do that? thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasandhu
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX as ROUTER

dear all, hi... my name rian, i have some problem here, i'm trying to make router on UNIX machine, is there anyone know how to make it....... :confused: please let me know about the step.... thanks before.. cheers Rian (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: afriansyah
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote Unix printing to my WinXP works with no router. How can I make it work through my router?

I set up remote printing on a clients Unix server to my Windows XP USB printer. My USB printer is connected directly to my PC (no print server and no network input on printer). With my Win XP PC connected to my cable modem (without the router), i can do lp -dhp842c /etc/hosts and it prints. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmhohne
7 Replies
SD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     SD(4)

NAME
sd - Driver for SCSI Disk Drives SYNOPSIS
#include <linux/hdreg.h> /* for HDIO_GETGEO */ #include <linux/fs.h> /* for BLKGETSIZE and BLKRRPART */ CONFIGURATION
The block device name has the following form: sdlp, where l is a letter denoting the physical drive, and p is a number denoting the parti- tion on that physical drive. Often, the partition number, p, will be left off when the device corresponds to the whole drive. SCSI disks have a major device number of 8, and a minor device number of the form (16 * drive_number) + partition_number, where drive_num- ber is the number of the physical drive in order of detection, and partition_number is as follows: partition 0 is the whole drive partitions 1-4 are the DOS "primary" partitions partitions 5-8 are the DOS "extended" (or "logical") partitions For example, /dev/sda will have major 8, minor 0, and will refer to all of the first SCSI drive in the system; and /dev/sdb3 will have major 8, minor 19, and will refer to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second SCSI drive in the system. At this time, only block devices are provided. Raw devices have not yet been implemented. DESCRIPTION
The following ioctls are provided: HDIO_GETGEO Returns the BIOS disk parameters in the following structure: struct hd_geometry { unsigned char heads; unsigned char sectors; unsigned short cylinders; unsigned long start; }; A pointer to this structure is passed as the ioctl(2) parameter. The information returned in the parameter is the disk geometry of the drive as understood by DOS! This geometry is not the physical geometry of the drive. It is used when constructing the drive's partition table, however, and is needed for convenient operation of fdisk(1), efdisk(1), and lilo(1). If the geometry information is not available, zero will be returned for all of the parameters. BLKGETSIZE Returns the device size in sectors. The ioctl(2) parameter should be a pointer to a long. BLKRRPART Forces a reread of the SCSI disk partition tables. No parameter is needed. The scsi(4) ioctl(2) operations are also supported. If the ioctl(2) parameter is required, and it is NULL, then ioctl(2) will fail with the error EINVAL. FILES
/dev/sd[a-h]: the whole device /dev/sd[a-h][0-8]: individual block partitions COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1992-12-17 SD(4)