Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Interpretting the result of TOP command Post 7249 by Perderabo on Friday 21st of September 2001 03:58:30 PM
Old 09-21-2001
If you and I are on the system and we both run vi to edit different files, no modern kernel will give us two complete seperate copies of vi. The program's memory will be broken into segments. The text segment contains (roughly) the code and the unchanging constants. We will share one text segment bewteen us. We each get a data segment and we each get a stack. top will report the total of all the segments for each process, but you can't add them up and expect that system needs to use that much physical memory. With shared libraries, it get a bit more confused. If you use emacs and I use vi, will we have different text segments, but we both might be using the same copy of printf and other library functions. Oracle is probably using shared memory which further complicates things. Shared memory is another memory segment, and again many processes can map that seqment into their memory space. So 100 copies of a 700 MB program might easily fit in a couple of GB of memory.

In view of all this, it really isn't possible anymore to truly say how much memory a single process is using in the sense that you want. Each process really is using 700MB, but they are sharing very large chucks of this with other processes.

Most versions of top have a line that shows system-wide memory usage.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top command

Hey, Using one single line of command i am trying to show the CPU usage for 4 processors and then filter it out and write it to a text file. Everything seams ok except that i am not able to switch from having the top command show me all CPU processes seperate opposed to showing me the average of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Georgesaa
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top command

Hi , can some one please assist me in using top command im facing following after using top: # top -hv UX:sh (top): ERROR: top: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected # top -p UX:sh (top): ERROR: top: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NIMISH AGARWAL
3 Replies

3. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find the Memory and CPU utilization using 'top' command

Hi all, I found like top command could be used to find the Memory and CPU utilization. But i want to know how to find the Memory and CPU utilization for a particular user using top command. Thanks in advance. Thanks, Ananthi.U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk top not getting the "k" result

Hi all, I have the script : top -n 1 | awk '{ if (NR==4) print $5 }' It will return me with one memory usage : for instance 3134720k However, I need to be returned only the number : 3134720 Does anyone knows how to fix the script that return the number (without k) thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peuceul
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Preserving the format of top command result

hi, I have tried the below command in RHEL5: top|mailx -s "test" "abc@cvf.com" But in the mail the content was not in proper format. Is there any way to preserve the format ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Analyzing Linux's top command's result

RHEL 5.4 What are the first things you would look for when analyzing Linux's top command output? Below is a top output from one of our Linux machines; Do you see anything wrong? top - 15:56:01 up 133 days, 5:55, 5 users, load average: 2.94, 2.93, 6.58 Tasks: 178 total, 2 running,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command giving different result for different users for same command

Hello, I am running below command as root user #nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch count" Memtable switch count: 12 Where as when I try to run same command as another user it gives different result. #su -l zabbix -s /bin/bash -c "nodetool cfstats tests | grep "Memtable switch... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pushpraj
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top command

Hi All, i am using the below command and once get the output and i need to keep the first batch only.in this case how to do this one. please help me on thistop -b -n 5 >top.txt Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
serialize(1)						      General Commands Manual						      serialize(1)

NAME
serialize - force target process to run serially with other processes SYNOPSIS
command [command_args] pid] DESCRIPTION
The command is used to force the target process to run serially with other processes also marked by this command. The target process can be referred to by pid value, or it can be invoked directly on the command. Once a process has been marked by the process stays marked until process completion unless is reissued on the serialized process with the option. The option causes the pid specified with the option to return to normal timeshare scheduling algorithms. This call is used to improve process throughput, since process throughput usually increases for large processes when they are executed serially instead of allowing each program to run for only a short period of time. By running large processes one at a time, the system makes more efficient use of the CPU as well as system memory, since each process does not end up constantly faulting in its working set, to only have the pages stolen when another process starts running. As long as there is enough memory in the system, processes marked by behave no differently from other processes in the system. However, once memory becomes tight, processes marked by are run one at a time with the highest priority processes being run first. Each process will run for a finite interval of time before another serialized process is allowed to run. Options supports the following options: Indicates the process specified by pid should be returned to timeshare scheduling. Indicates the pid of the target process. If neither option is specified, is invoked on the command line passed in. RETURN VALUE
returns the following value: Successful completion. Invalid pid specification, nonnumeric entry, or pid specification is that of a special system process. Could not execute the specified command. No such process. Must be root or a member of a group having the privilege to execute ERRORS
fails under the following condition and sets (see errno(2)) to the following value: The pid passed in does not exist. EXAMPLES
Use to force a database application to run serially with other processes marked for serialization: Force a currently running process with a pid value of 215 to run serially with other processes marked for serialization: Return a process previously marked for serialization to normal timeshare scheduling. The pid of the target process for this example is WARNINGS
The user has no way of forcing an execution order on serialized processes. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
setprivgrp(1M), getprivgrp(2), serialize(2). serialize(1)