Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to tar to multiple tapes
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to tar to multiple tapes Post 72483 by RTM on Friday 20th of May 2005 02:23:08 PM
Old 05-20-2005
In general, tar will prompt for a new tape to be loaded if the first one fills - see your man page for tar (look for the -e option which mentions not splitting files across volumes).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar/Tapes: Can somebody explain this to me......

Hey Folks, Can somebody please explain what the crack is with this problem. I have a backup folder in /var which contains 4 rsync'd server folders: server08 server15 server16 server18 They all contain the etc folder from the server, and other important data I need to backup. To... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: modaceface
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar multiple files

Hi All, There 2 files in the folder /temp/tst/ 1.txt 2.txt When I run the command find /temp/tst \( -name "*.txt" \) -exec tar cf /temp/123.tar {} \; it creates the tar file 123.tar with only one file in it and that is 2.txt.But if I use the command find /temp/tst \( -name "*.txt"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rony_daniel
1 Replies

3. BSD

tape drives vs. tar with multiple directories

Hello, I have a little problem with backup & restoring files from tape drive. I am adding 3 directories to my tape, and it is OK: hades# tar -cvf /dev/nsa0 test test1 restore a test a test/level1 a test/myharddisk.img a test1 a test1/level1 a test1/myharddisk.img a test1/test.img a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: d3m00n
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How to add multiple tar file to a script

I have appended a tar file to my installation script so that while installing i can unzip from there (specifying the starting line number) and install a package. This work fine if i add one tar file. But suppose i have to install different packages depending on the platform the script is run. i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating executing commands on multiple tapes and changing (loading) them

The thing that we need to be able to do is: - Scanning tapes from failed backup jobs with bscan (a bacula command) - loading the next tape with the mtx command Bscan does unload tapes but does not load them. Bscan comes with this message when it's done with a tape: Mount Volume... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tr00tY
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a tar ball into multiple directories

#cat a BAC064DAL BAC063DAL BAC056PHX BAC066DAL BAC062PHX BAC062DAL BAC060DAL BAC058PHX BAC054PHX BAC051PHX # for i in `cat a` > do > tar xvf $a/$a*.tar* > done tar: /*.tar*: Cannot open: No such file or directory tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now tar: /*.tar*: Cannot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar extract a multiple directories

i extract it through script, is there any way to script or automate to tar extract a tarfiles in multiple directories at once? Cannot open: No such file or directory tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now for dir in `ls -d /tarfiles/*/ | sed 's/.$//'` do rm -f $dir/*.tar mv -f... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
1 Replies
SMBTAR(1)							   User Commands							 SMBTAR(1)

NAME
smbtar - shell script for backing up SMB/CIFS shares directly to UNIX tape drives SYNOPSIS
smbtar [-r] [-i] [-a] [-v] {-s server} [-p password] [-x services] [-X] [-N filename] [-b blocksize] [-d directory] [-l loglevel] [-u user] [-t tape] {filenames} DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. smbtar is a very small shell script on top of smbclient(1) which dumps SMB shares directly to tape. OPTIONS
-s server The SMB/CIFS server that the share resides upon. -x service The share name on the server to connect to. The default is "backup". -X Exclude mode. Exclude filenames... from tar create or restore. -d directory Change to initial directory before restoring / backing up files. -v Verbose mode. -p password The password to use to access a share. Default: none -u user The user id to connect as. Default: UNIX login name. -a Reset DOS archive bit mode to indicate file has been archived. -t tape Tape device. May be regular file or tape device. Default: $TAPE environmental variable; if not set, a file called tar.out . -b blocksize Blocking factor. Defaults to 20. See tar(1) for a fuller explanation. -N filename Backup only files newer than filename. Could be used (for example) on a log file to implement incremental backups. -i Incremental mode; tar files are only backed up if they have the archive bit set. The archive bit is reset after each file is read. -r Restore. Files are restored to the share from the tar file. -l log level Log (debug) level. Corresponds to the -d flag of smbclient(1). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The $TAPE variable specifies the default tape device to write to. May be overridden with the -t option. BUGS
The smbtar script has different options from ordinary tar and from smbclient's tar command. CAVEATS
Sites that are more careful about security may not like the way the script handles PC passwords. Backup and restore work on entire shares; should work on file lists. smbtar works best with GNU tar and may not work well with other versions. DIAGNOSTICS
See the DIAGNOSTICS section for the smbclient(1) command. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
smbd(8), smbclient(1), smb.conf(5). AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Ricky Poulten wrote the tar extension and this man page. The smbtar script was heavily rewritten and improved by Martin Kraemer. Many thanks to everyone who suggested extensions, improvements, bug fixes, etc. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 SMBTAR(1)