Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: about cut???
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers about cut??? Post 7244 by Perderabo on Friday 21st of September 2001 03:22:02 PM
Old 09-21-2001
Send the first stuff to one file, send the second stuff to a second file; then paste them:

cut -c1-10 < inputfile > one
cut -c41-50 < inputfile > two
paste one two > finalfile

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using :<<cut / cut to comment out block of bash script

I am using : << cut / cut to comment out block of code. Works fine on few lines of script, then it gives me this cryptic error when I try to comment out about 80 lines. The "warning " is at last line of script. done < results 169 echo "END read all positioning parameters" 170... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies
wxcopy(1x)                                                                                                                              wxcopy(1x)

NAME
wxcopy - copy stdin or file into cutbuffer SYNOPSIS
wxcopy [options] [filename] DESCRIPTION
wxcopy copies stdin or filename into the cutbuffer. If no cutbuffer is specified, the data will be copied into cutbuffer 0 and the other cutbuffers will be rotated, if present. If a cutbuffer is specified, the data is copied into that cutbuffer, and no rotation of buffers is performed. OPTIONS
-cutbuffer number Specifies the number of the cutbuffer to copy data to. -display display-name The data will be copied in the cutbuffers of the specified display/screen. -nolimit Makes the normal 64kb limit check not to be performed, making the buffer attempt to grow to whatever size is required. -clearselection Clears the PRIMARY selection owner. In practice it means that when you try to paste the data with the middle mouse button (for exam- ple) it will paste the data from cut buffer 0, instead of any eventually existing mouse selection. SEE ALSO
wxpaste(1x), wmaker(1x) AUTHOR
This man page was written by Marcelo Magallon <mmagallo@debian.org>. Window Maker was written by Alfredo K. Kojima <kojima@windowmaker.info>. Binary data compatibility and -nolimit stuff by Luke Kendall <luke@research.canon.com.au>. September 1998 wxcopy(1x)