Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: this helps me out big time
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers this helps me out big time Post 7240 by djatwork on Friday 21st of September 2001 02:48:56 PM
Old 09-21-2001
thanks, thats some good stuff. Smilie

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to view a big file(143M big)

1 . Thanks everyone who read the post first. 2 . I have a log file which size is 143M , I can not use vi open it .I can not use xedit open it too. How to view it ? If I want to view 200-300 ,how can I implement it 3 . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help big time

solved (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockbike
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How big is too big a config.log file?

I have a 5000 line config.log file with several "maybe" errors. Any reccomendations on finding solvable problems? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedLotsofHelp
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gref -f taking long time for big file

grep -f taking long time to compare for big files, any alternate for fast check I am using grep -f file1 file2 to check - to ckeck dups/common rows prsents. But my files contains file1 contains 5gb and file 2 contains 50 mb and its taking such a long time to compare the files. Do we have any... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkskumar
10 Replies

5. Red Hat

Du -sh command taking time to calculate the big size files

Hi , My linux server is taking more time to calculate big size from long time. * i am accessing server through ssh * commands # - du -sh * #du -sh * | sort -n | grep G Please guide me for fast way to find big size directories under to / partition Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nats
8 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Makefile helps

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The code in project2 is for a program that formats C++ code into HTML for presentation in a webpage. For example,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhnguyen0708
1 Replies
iosnoop(1m)							   USER COMMANDS						       iosnoop(1m)

NAME
iosnoop - snoop I/O events as they occur. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
iosnoop [-a|-A|-Deghinostv] [-d device] [-f filename] [-m mount_point] [-n name] [-p PID] DESCRIPTION
iosnoop prints I/O events as they happen, with useful details such as UID, PID, block number, size, filename, etc. This is useful to determine the process responsible for using the disks, as well as details on what activity the process is requesting. Be- haviour such as random or sequential I/O can be observed by reading the block numbers. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. OPTIONS
-a print all data -A dump all data, space delimited -D print time delta, us (elapsed) -e print device name -i print device instance -N print major and minor numbers -o print disk delta time, us -s print start time, us -t print completion time, us -v print completion time, string -d device instance name to snoop (eg, dad0) -f filename full pathname of file to snoop -m mount_point mountpoint for filesystem to snoop -n name process name -p PID process ID EXAMPLES
Default output, print I/O activity as it occurs, # iosnoop Print human readable timestamps, # iosnoop -v Print major and minor numbers, # iosnoop -N Snoop events on the root filesystem only, # iosnoop -m / FIELDS
UID User ID PID Process ID PPID Parent Process ID COMM command name for the process ARGS argument listing for the process SIZE size of the operation, bytes BLOCK disk block for the operation (location. relative to this filesystem. more useful with the -N option to print major and minor num- bers) STIME timestamp for the disk request, us TIME timestamp for the disk completion, us DELTA elapsed time from request to completion, us (this is the elapsed time from the disk request (strategy) to the disk completion (iodone)) DTIME time for disk to complete request, us (this is the time for the disk to complete that event since it's last event (time between iodones), or, the time to the strategy if the disk had been idle) STRTIME timestamp for the disk completion, string DEVICE device name INS device instance number D direction, Read or Write MOUNT mount point FILE filename (basename) for I/O operation NOTES
When filtering on PID or process name, be aware that poor disk event times may be due to events that have been filtered away, for example another process that may be seeking the disk heads elsewhere. DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
iosnoop will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
iotop(1M), dtrace(1M) version 1.50 Jul 25, 2005 iosnoop(1m)