Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vi scripts on UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users vi scripts on UNIX Post 7239 by nemex on Friday 21st of September 2001 11:53:21 AM
Old 09-21-2001
Much appreciated.

Have Fun.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Scripts

I need to find a place or places on the Internet where I can find UNIX scripts to view and to modify to make life easy on the UNIX environment. Shell scripts to be used, ksh, sh, csh. Can someone help me on this. Thanks ;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix scripts

Hi all Can sombody tell me how can i run a script as a regular user and then change in the middle of the script to root,perform a task that needs root permisions and get back to the regular user. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelalouf
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Porting of Windows written unix scripts to unix platform

Can anybody help me in finding out a solution for the problem below? When we write .unix or .sh files in windows OS and port them to Unix platforms there is a character ^M inserted at the end of each line of the script file. During ftp porting I set the transfer mode as ASCII for the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamilselvi
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX scripts for router

Hi, I want to write a script in unix for my routers which will collect the output to a file.. how do i do that? thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasandhu
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Scripts

Hi, I have to write 2 unix scripts: 1. Check whether the databases are up or down which are on different servers. 2. Check the file system space on different Unix servers. Please share your model scripts here. I have to submit this ASAP. Appreciate your reply...... Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Scripts

Hi, I have to write 2 unix scripts: 1. Check whether the databases are up or down which are on different servers. 2. Check the file system space on different Unix servers. Please share your model scripts here. I have to submit this ASAP. Appreciate your reply...... Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix programming scripts.

How can I replace "?" with the appropriate information. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejuste
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix/ Shell scripts

Hi, I need to develop a function incrementor that increments a given number that is passed as an argument (this should use eval). so, am not able to get much info on eval by googling (perticularly on incrementing). please if any one can help me out. thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: geervani
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix scripts

hi everyone.Can anyone tell what books to study for unix shell scripting.ive planned to learn unix scripting but i dont kno what kind of books to refer so do help me..Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madanmeer
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX commands and scripts

Hi guys, Hoping someone can help with the below - involves basic commands and some scripting. Thanks so much in advance for your amazing time and help. 3. The file /etc/profile contains the default initialization options for your shell. Produce a unique list of all variables with uppercase... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edujs7
1 Replies
tput(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   tput(1)

NAME
tput - Queries the terminal information database SYNOPSIS
tput [-S] [-T term] [capability_name [parameter...]] The tput command uses the terminfo database to make terminal-dependent information available to the shell. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: tput: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] Specifies that input be received from standard input. Specifies the terminal type. By default, the terminal type is taken from the environment variable TERM. OPERANDS
The capability_name argument may be one of the following special strings: Displays the clear-screen sequence. Displays the sequences that initialize the user's terminal. [Tru64 UNIX] Displays the terminfo long name for the terminal. Displays the sequences that reset the user's terminal. DESCRIPTION
The capability_name argument indicates the attribute type from a terminfo file. The output of the tput command is a string if the attribute capability_name is of the type string, or an integer if the attribute is of the type integer. If the capability_name is of the type Boolean, the tput command sets the exit value to zero (0) for TRUE, 1 for FALSE, and produces no other output. For more information, see the terminfo(4) reference page. NOTES
If your terminal does not support the requested capability, it is not an error. EXIT STATUS
Equals FALSE Boolean value or the requested string was written successfully. [Tru64 UNIX] Equals TRUE Boolean value. Specifies a usage error. Specifies that information on this terminal is not available. Specifies that the capability_name is invalid. Specifies that an error occurred. EXAMPLES
To echo the clear-screen sequence for the current terminal: # tput clear To display the number of columns for the current terminal: # tput cols To set and unset the highlight-mode sequences for the current terminal: # bold=`tput smso` # unbold=`tput rmso` If you are using the C shell (csh), the argument to set and unset sequences must be enclosed in double quotes: # bold="`tput smso`" # unbold="`tput rmso`" Both of these examples can be followed by a prompt: echo "${bold}Please type in your name:${unbold} To set the exit value to indi- cate if the current terminal is a hardcopy terminal: tput hc If you are using the C shell (csh), the exit value for the preceding example is stored in $status; otherwise, the exit value is stored in $?. To move the cursor to line 2, row 2: tput cup 2 2 ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of tput: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. FILES
Terminal information database Definition files curses library definition file SEE ALSO
Commands: stty(1), tabs(1) Routines: curses(3) Files: terminfo(4) Standards: standards(5) tput(1)